Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-03-12, 10:22 PM   #1
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spinner bait/Buzz bait

About every 4th or 5th cast my line gets tangled up around the blades is this normal? Can this be fixed? What am i doing wrong? I am using 10lb braid on a spinning reel, I have used 20lb braid and does the same thing as well but have noticed the 20lb braid seems to pull the spinners and buzz baits through the water a lil smoother, I had to really slow down my spinner bait today using 10lb line felt like i was trying to reel in a 8 ounce weight.
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 11:28 PM   #2
slounch_slayer
BassFishin.Com Member

Throw a different spinnerbait. That happens to me a lot on strike king premier spinnerbaits. I've been throwing war eagle's lately. Problem has ceased.
slounch_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 11:33 PM   #3
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah I hear war eagles are the best.
Old 05-04-12, 12:09 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

In all the years I've thrown a spinnerbait, I don't remember that ever happening. But I throw my spinner baits with bait cast equipment. I wonder if the way the line loops off a spinning reel if maybe the line is allowing a loose coil of line to snag the blades?

Last edited by keithdog; 05-04-12 at 06:42 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 12:31 AM   #5
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I can't say as I've ever had that happen either. I would suspect it's probably the light braid in combination with the spinning gear that's causing your problem. Braid, especially that thin, is really supple, it doesn't stay rigid like other lines so it is more apt to wrap around stuff. I know people have problems with certain treble hooked top water baits and braid, the braid will wrap around the front hook.
Old 05-04-12, 06:58 AM   #6
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

It has always happened to me no matter if i use braid, mono, or flourocarb so its not line must be really cheap buzz baits and spinners. I tie direct with palamor knot. I am wondering if its how i cast or if im not stopping the line fast enough soon as it hits the water. I am also always shallow since i am a boatless fisherman maybes its hitting bottom by the time it hits water and i begin to reel it.
Old 05-04-12, 07:35 AM   #7
lilmule

Its how you cast ,your tossing a loop,the braid tends to float wouldnt matter if it went to the bottom.Try an underhand cast,shorter but no loop.Side armed wind etc creates a belly when bait lands like a fly line it flips over it,much like a roll cast.Mono would tend to do it less.Also as bait hits the water dont drop the rod tip raise it,in doing so while clicking or engaging the reel handle your bait gets started and does not sink as far.
I own two bass boats often fish from the bank and shallow water,as close by and convenient.
From a personal slant a conventional baitcaster is a better choice for either a spinnerbait and for a buzzbait in particular.

Last edited by lilmule; 05-04-12 at 07:43 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 03:12 PM   #8
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I fish spinning equipment with light braid: 8, 10 and 20 pound test. I probably have had that problem, but can't remember a specific time and never enough to make me think twice. It might have something to do with your cast... over-hand vs. side arm, or smooth sweeping casts vs short jerky casts. See if you notice differene either way. I also "feather" the line so the bait falls softly in the water... the "feathering" may help keep slack out of the line and therefore reduce tangles.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-12, 11:45 PM   #9
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

I seen a guy throwing a spinner bait yesterday and he would cast underhanded and by side and then raise the rod high as it hit the water! Then i was thinking what the heck is he doing but after reading what you wrote it makes sense to what he was doing LOL thanks for the input!
Old 05-07-12, 05:28 AM   #10
Kimberly Cook
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with you....
Quote:
Originally Posted by slounch_slayer View Post
Throw a different spinnerbait. That happens to me a lot on strike king premier spinnerbaits. I've been throwing war eagle's lately. Problem has ceased.

Kimberly Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 08:27 AM   #11
lilmule

Raising the rod tip as it hits the water helps start it,can even toss a spoon and run it as a top water bait works well for whites and or stripers.Reel ratio is factor 5/1 works one to hard,any 6/1,6/2,6/3 etc will be easier.Blade size enters into it, a wide blade supports easier.Simple Hart buzzbait -2.99 at walley world is easy to use ,stays up an does catch fish.Take a pair of pliers and crimp the rivet,with it not turning makes more noise,make sure to keep the wire straight eye it bend it back etc,not only after tuning but after catching a fish.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.