Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 12-24-13, 02:17 AM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default New BP catalog

Got my new bathroom bible today. Just flipped through it earlier and there doesn't look to be a lot of new items. Just a question on their boats. Can you order a boat and downsize the motor?
Old 12-24-13, 08:43 AM   #2
bassboogieman

Quote:
Can you order a boat and downsize the motor?
As the icon indicates - WHY?

IMO most of their Tracker series boats come under powered (both outboard & trolling motor), the Nitro series are powered pretty much the same as other 'glass boats. I would imagine if you ORDER a boat it could be rigged anyway you want - as long as it's a Mercury outboard (and nothing wrong with a Merc). Changing a boat already set-up would cost you additional money (labor) which may be ok if adding more HP but I would not spend additional money to reduce HP. I don't know if BPS rigs their boats "in house" but Tracker is not a BPS brand, so if you have a Tracker dealer other than BPS in your area, I'm sure you could get it powered anyway you'd like as most boats come in unrigged.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 12-24-13 at 08:53 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-13, 09:42 AM   #3
bassinbob

My favorite lake has a 20hp restriction on it. I understand everyone says go for more hp than comes with a package. At 60 years old I don't care if I go 60 or 70 mph. I wouldn't have enough money for a kicker either.
Old 12-24-13, 10:15 AM   #4
lilmule

Ive seen trackers with 15-25 hp so should be able to get Beech fork lake w.va 10 hp restriction so a booming local business in making them 15-18 hp and they fly with light boats,greenbow lake ky had a 6hp.Changed to idle only run what ya brung,idle only.
Makes much better sense to run what ya brung at no wake speed,as restricted hp lakes get those who run fairly fast and create wakes,pretty much what the restriction is for.
We have a local lake other side of Paris tn called Garret lake its a run what ya brung,bass boat whatever with a 300 hp even its also no wake idle only and a small lake very small.
The tracker has a great many underpowered options,being older myself speed is not the issue as when younger,but do have a 200 hp and hefty boat also like to go to garret lake and idle around.No low hp or kicker needed when dnr does it right.Then nobody flies.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-13, 02:30 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Quote:
My favorite lake has a 20hp restriction on it.
OK, I get that. We have one of those over in Bucks County (north of Phila) with a 25HP restriction. Limiting horsepower is absolutely the dumbest most asinine way to regulate boat traffic ever conceived. I don't bother fishing it anymore, because of that. The lake is too long to fish both ends in the same day with only an electric troller, and the smart guys have the john boats with 25's on them throwing a wake and rocking my boat and laughing their *** of doing it. Speed limits are much more logical, even no wake, but the HP limit is the most discriminatory method by far.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.