Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 12-07-09, 03:35 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default there needs to be a law....

against lake front home owners blowing leaves into the lake...

#1 it makes hitting the leaves with your boat dangerus...as you can lose control of your vessel..leaf particals have been know to plug water intakes on out board moters..

and #2
it is dam near impossable to work a bait thru the gob of leaves that are 5 FEET thick...

answer up you if you agree.

if ya don't kma and don't bother anwering this thread..

zooker
Old 12-07-09, 03:48 PM   #2
nofearengineer

I agree wholeheartedly, Zook!

Another good reason is, it all ends up rotting and going to the bottom.

Lakes are not forever...they have a life cycle where they gradually eutrophy, i.e., they become more and more filled up with organic matter and dissolved nutrients. Today's leaves are tomorrow algal blooms.
Old 12-07-09, 04:00 PM   #3
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree.....I think some cities in TX have made it illegal to dump leaves,limbs,and sand into lakes for biological reasons.or maybe they strongly encouraged against it....But yea,losing the action of lure because of hooking leaves sucks..

Where do I sign?
Old 12-07-09, 07:08 PM   #4
bcklash

I agree Zookie. Leaves suck.
Old 12-07-09, 07:44 PM   #5
keithdog

I'm in total agreement. It can't be good for the lake to begin with. No one should use any body of water as their own personal landfill. Maybe we should rake up all our leaves and dump them in these peoples driveways!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 07:47 PM   #6
66KingFisher

Well, the only lakes I've really fished are primative style lakes, and there are no lake front homes allowed, so i've never had to deal with that issue, but i'd imagine it could create havok for anglers as well as add alot of sediment to the lake bottom which would add to unhealthy water conditions.

I know from my own backyard pond that once it gets a heavy layer of leaves on the bottom and they begin to decompose, that the water quality goes waaay down and my aquatic plants would die if the water conditions were left that way....I even lost some fish during that time, although i'm not 100% certain that was the cause....so I have to keep the leaves cleared out this time of year or my little ponds ecosystem gets thrown for a loop.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 08:00 PM   #7
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'm in total agreement. It can't be good for the lake to begin with. No one should use any body of water as their own personal landfill. Maybe we should rake up all our leaves and dump them in these peoples driveways!

They would just end up blowing them back into the lake..
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 10:45 PM   #8
bamabassman

Check the lake police. If i am correct, they aren't supposed to do that Zooker. I DO know that on Guntersville, you can take whatever you want OUT,but oyu can't put anyting IN the lake. Get caught and it is a really hefty fine. And there are a lot of sniches around the lake. But if no law exists, i am so sorry man. Maybe you should go knock on their door and tell them what they are doing to the lake. Hehehe, you know what i am driving at.
Old 12-09-09, 12:12 PM   #9
Abbeysdad

I think it's mostly just ignorance. People want their lake front property to look nice and don't realize that leaves have real value in the garden and around shrubs 'n trees.
I see a lot of folks around here burning leaves in the fall!

(I collect all the leaves I can to put in my ORGANIC vegetable garden.)

Now, by the same token, leaves will sink to the bottom of the lake, decay and become part of the bottom muck/soil. This organic matter will likely just provide a food source for water plants that provide food and cover for other critters.
Think of all the lakes surrounded by deciduous trees and how many leaves naturally fall and/or are blown into lakes. It's not really such a terrible thing.
Old 12-09-09, 05:14 PM   #10
zooker

round here i use wood mulch leaves don't cut it..i have 15 massive oak and 7 large pecan trees in the yard..you want leaves i'll show you leaves..every 3 days from sept till dec i am out there with the lawn sweeper.. i burn them at least 4 times..

zooker
Old 12-09-09, 05:59 PM   #11
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
round here i use wood mulch leaves don't cut it..i have 15 massive oak and 7 large pecan trees in the yard..you want leaves i'll show you leaves..every 3 days from sept till dec i am out there with the lawn sweeper.. i burn them at least 4 times..

zooker
I was speaking more of organic soil enrichment.
Old 12-09-09, 07:15 PM   #12
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
I was speaking more of organic soil enrichment.
Compost.

Either till the leaves back in the soil or let it rot in a pile and become compost to mix with the soil. Veggies and flowers love that stuff. It puts the nutrients back in the soil that the plants suck up through the growing season.

Though I'm not sure it would be so great for the fishes if a lot of extra leaves got dumped in a lake. Too much of anything can mess up the natural balance of the waters ph.
Old 12-18-09, 11:44 PM   #13
TN_Bassin

Well like 1/4 stick said too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Enough leaves get into the lakes and rivers from trees on the banks. There is no need for anyone to add to the already "enough" amount.

Plus I like to throw topwater in the Fall quite a bit, and I absolutly cannot stand when my spooks, pops, buzzs, etc come back 10lbs heavier from leaves.
Old 12-19-09, 12:34 AM   #14
zooker

the problem is tn 1/4 stick sees what happens when leaves fall in the water..he lives in the coastal swamp area...the water is clear but black- i am not making this up...

zooker
Old 12-19-09, 12:38 AM   #15
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
the problem is tn 1/4 stick sees what happens when leaves fall in the water..he lives in the coastal swamp area...the water is clear but black- i am not making this up...

zooker
Yup, blackish, baby poo greenish.
Old 12-23-09, 03:23 AM   #16
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
Yup, blackish, baby poo greenish.
That's rough. That's also how a couple of ponds I fish get in the Fall and Winter, never checked the PH level in them though.
Old 12-23-09, 03:39 AM   #17
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
Compost.

Either till the leaves back in the soil or let it rot in a pile and become compost to mix with the soil. Veggies and flowers love that stuff. It puts the nutrients back in the soil that the plants suck up through the growing season.

Key words are rot, otherwise leaves are chock full of tannens and celulose and those take tuns of nitrogen to break down. They will eventually dump the nitrogen and the nitrogen fixers back into the environment, but it may take years depending on the leaves (oak) and in that time the soil or water as the case may be suffers nitrogen deficiencies, then when they do dump the nitrogen and nitrogen fixers, along with the nutrients that they carried, it happens in a relatively short time frame and when in water that combined with heat can cause a serious algae bloom which then deprives the surrounding area of oxygen rendering it stagnant. Multiply this by dozens if not hundreds of homeowners and you are screwing up some major fish habitat.

Zook, environmental issues like this are usually taken very seriously by state legislators. If you could write up an elegant letter or even a bill (aka talk to wtl) then I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you could get something done about it. Not that means that it will be strongly enforced, but if its brought to the public's attention then the frequency of occurrences will likely drop.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.