Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-12, 06:17 PM   #1
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jonesville, Indiana
Posts: 3,597
Default Float & Fly with the Smallmouth Guru

Here's technique that I want to try.

Anyone willing to split the gas on a winter Dale trip?

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/u...ru-274382.aspx
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 08:02 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
BigBassin144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 9,463
Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default

Wait till Bryce reads this; you'll definitely have a partner for the trip.

BB
__________________
As of June 14, 2014 the members of the BF.com forum have moved to basschat.yuku.com!
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 10:31 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
kennethdaysale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: rock hill, sc
Posts: 2,315
Default

I've never really done the thing in the video exactly but I sometimes hang a wacky rigged senko under a cork and work it along some windblown riprap or sometimes let the wind blow it across spawning flats in the spring.
__________________
Sometimes you gotta risk it to get the biscuit.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 10:15 AM   #4
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jonesville, Indiana
Posts: 3,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Wait till Bryce reads this; you'll definitely have a partner for the trip.

BB
I'll have the whole week off during Christmas..let me know.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I've never really done the thing in the video exactly but I sometimes hang a wacky rigged senko under a cork and work it along some windblown riprap or sometimes let the wind blow it across spawning flats in the spring.
From what I'm hearing they are using anywhere between 10' and 14' leaders.


-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 09:20 PM   #5
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
nofearengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southwest IN
Posts: 5,630
Default

OH NO HE DI'INT!!!

Woody, I would love to try some of that.

I am all out of paid days off this year though, so it would have to be a weekend.

You got me all excited now.
__________________
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 10:08 PM   #6
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jonesville, Indiana
Posts: 3,597
Default

Yeah, experiencing DH in the Winter with a FnF, is on my bucket list of things to do.

Must start putting some winter gear together...Good Lord willing.


-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 10:49 PM   #7
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
nofearengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southwest IN
Posts: 5,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Must start putting some winter gear together...Good Lord willing.
Me too...I will definitely need some good thermals, socks, and headgear.

Let me know if you want to do it, Mark.
__________________
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 01:01 PM   #8
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jonesville, Indiana
Posts: 3,597
Default

Bryce, would you be willing to tow your Avalanche? My skeeter is down till spring. We could even split the cost of a rental.


-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 02:33 PM   #9
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
nofearengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southwest IN
Posts: 5,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Bryce, would you be willing to tow your Avalanche? My skeeter is down till spring. We could even split the cost of a rental.


-Mark
It's not out of the question. I'd need to completely empty out the boat, given that 90% of what's in there we wouldn't need.

I know my Terrova would sure help. We could do a really, really slow drift with the floats.

Though strangely enough, a rental doesn't sound too bad, depending on what's available. Look into that, and we'll figure something out.
__________________
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 06:22 PM   #10
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 505
Default

drifting with floats is not really where its at. precise spots are better. its fun, but the gear is annoying to fool with. but some days its all that works when theyre suspended
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 07:25 PM   #11
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jonesville, Indiana
Posts: 3,597
Default

Bryce, I'll see whats available, since we are only talking a about a day or two, this might be the way to go. Let's both see what see what we can come up with on this and report back...

I've already got some good spots plotted too.


Here's a pic of Preston Moore with an over(21") he caught the other day with a fly on Dale.




-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 07:41 PM   #12
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
nofearengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southwest IN
Posts: 5,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
drifting with floats is not really where its at. precise spots are better. its fun, but the gear is annoying to fool with. but some days its all that works when theyre suspended
Then electronic anchoring works too.
__________________
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 11:28 AM   #13
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
nofearengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southwest IN
Posts: 5,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
I'll have the whole week off during Christmas..let me know.
So what dates are you off? Are we looking at the weekend before or after Christmas?

Either way, we're probably looking at highs in the mid 40's and lows in the high 20's.
__________________
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 01:03 PM   #14
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jonesville, Indiana
Posts: 3,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
So what dates are you off? Are we looking at the weekend before or after Christmas?

Either way, we're probably looking at highs in the mid 40's and lows in the high 20's.
The weekend after Christmas works better for me. December 22 will be my last work day this year, I'll go back January 2nd.


-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 03:31 PM   #15
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
nofearengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southwest IN
Posts: 5,630
Default

I think that actually works better for me too. It gives me more time to get some cold weather clothes together. Time to "un-winterize" the Optimax (if we go with my rig...and who wants to go 60+ mph in 20 degree weather anyways? )

Now comes the fun part...travel arrangements. Neither one of us has a very straight shot to Celina.
__________________
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 03:42 PM   #16
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
nofearengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southwest IN
Posts: 5,630
Default

Mark, I just looked at Google Maps, and it's a 3.5 hr drive from Indy to my house, and 3.5 hrs from my house to Dale. If you want to do that, then we don't have to worry about gas or any of that. Your truck would be a lot safer parked in front of my house than some truck stop. (Plus, it would really pizz off the neighbors ).

You'd have to get up earlier to start (about 2.5 hrs earlier), and you'd get home later, but you'd actually be driving your truck a couple hours less.
__________________
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 07:28 PM   #17
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jonesville, Indiana
Posts: 3,597
Default

Hey Bryce, I sent you a pm.


-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 05:31 AM   #18
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: JANESVILLE,WI. 53545
Posts: 3,415
Default

If it's good enough for the 'big bait guru' it must work.
In a million years I would never of guessed Bill Siemantel to fish this little setup.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZqtB...ture=endscreen
__________________
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 06:05 PM   #19
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jonesville, Indiana
Posts: 3,597
Default Cold Water Secrets Revealed By The Smallmouth Guru

The Smallmouth Guru reveals a cold water secret, concerning the movements of baitfish while in the creeks during the winter months.

http://youtu.be/hPnNxSRAn3o


-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 11:55 AM   #20
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
WaffleJaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas,TX (DFW)
Posts: 2,212
Default

I was using the float and fly last weekend for smallies on Lake Grapevine (Ive still yet to catch one:/

I love this technique!...I use the weighted Thill balsa slip bobbers with stoppers,and small homemade jigs....I plan on picking up some of those punisher jigs this weekend to try.
It works all year round and great for just about any fish.
__________________
[nelsoncustomrods.com]
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 07:49 AM   #21
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
bassboogieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Parkesburg, Pa.
Posts: 3,762
Default

So Woody and NFE... I suppose you guys are planning on "getting a room"?
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 10:44 AM   #22
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: JANESVILLE,WI. 53545
Posts: 3,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
I was using the float and fly last weekend for smallies on Lake Grapevine (Ive still yet to catch one:/

I love this technique!...I use the weighted Thill balsa slip bobbers with stoppers,and small homemade jigs....I plan on picking up some of those punisher jigs this weekend to try.
It works all year round and great for just about any fish.
So do you eliminate the three way?
Just so everyone knows, I took a whack at the rig on my last outing this year.
Actually I went out AFTER I finally called it quits but the thread got me enticed enough to give it a try yet this year.
Plus I wanted to know if it worked in 34 degree water.

IT"S NOT REALLY MEANT FOR SHORE BUSTING!
I got tired of trying to place a cast with a 6-8 foot leader. The wait till it touches water on the back swing of the cast turned into...wait till the bait hits vegetation.

So I moved to the river where the depth was like 5-6 ft total so I was hoping a small current would not hurt. I tossed to pilings tossing ahead and letting the jig float by the pilings.

No fish...but I'm still learning.
I think it will be better on ponds and lakes but if they are suspended deeper then five feet the long leader will be a challenge always.

Now if Walker's setup eliminates the lead, it's an all new ball game.
After way to much research I got the feeling that the 3-way was an integral part of the set up. Making the jig sit completley still, which a slip float eliminates...somewhat. I was trying to figure a way to use a slip float due to the shore casting but couldn't figure out how to do both without the long lead still.
__________________
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 01:06 AM   #23
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
WallStreetAmigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 325
Default

I find that while both the slip bobber method and the fixed leader methods are very effective for me, there are also positives and negatives to each and situations where I will choose one over the other all else being equal. Slip bobber works better when there is little or no wind with a bit heavier jigs or where I want to "deadstick" it more and have little movement in one spot for an extended period of time. It is also obviously a better choice if castability is an issue - like Joe's example of shore fishing. Fixed leader seems to outperform for me when there is a bit of chop or when I want more natural looking movement and want to twitch the jig a little bit more.

That's just me though and I am no expert. I have just tried a bunch of different things with this kind of setup. I have even put wacky rigged senkos under a float as someone else mentioned above. Caught a lot of largies in shallow water with that technique too.
__________________
"It's not true, hard work has killed lots of people. Now shut up and fish."
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 10:36 AM   #24
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
WaffleJaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas,TX (DFW)
Posts: 2,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
So do you eliminate the three way?
Just so everyone knows, I took a whack at the rig on my last outing this year.
Actually I went out AFTER I finally called it quits but the thread got me enticed enough to give it a try yet this year.
Plus I wanted to know if it worked in 34 degree water.

IT"S NOT REALLY MEANT FOR SHORE BUSTING!
I got tired of trying to place a cast with a 6-8 foot leader. The wait till it touches water on the back swing of the cast turned into...wait till the bait hits vegetation.

So I moved to the river where the depth was like 5-6 ft total so I was hoping a small current would not hurt. I tossed to pilings tossing ahead and letting the jig float by the pilings.

No fish...but I'm still learning.
I think it will be better on ponds and lakes but if they are suspended deeper then five feet the long leader will be a challenge always.

Now if Walker's setup eliminates the lead, it's an all new ball game.
After way to much research I got the feeling that the 3-way was an integral part of the set up. Making the jig sit completley still, which a slip float eliminates...somewhat. I was trying to figure a way to use a slip float due to the shore casting but couldn't figure out how to do both without the long lead still.

Honestly never seen it rigged on a 3-way...
My length is usually about 4-6' ...One bobber stop to set the depth...Then another one under the slip bobber to keep the bobber in check (without it the bobber would get stuck on the jig eyelet)
Mines pretty simple to rigged and you can adjust the depth......
On my ultra lite set up...Ill just peg a cigar float and be done with it if Im chasing sandies and gills.
__________________
[nelsoncustomrods.com]
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2013 BassFishin.Com LLC