Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-19-14, 11:13 AM   #1
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default swinging football jig

These look interesting,

With all of my fishing incorporating a wire leader, I find it a little difficult to make a decent Texas rig as the wire hinders the presantation unless I'm using 49strand wire which I find a little expensive. Could these be the next best thing? As the weight is free and all I'll have to do is attach my leader to the eye

Intend to use them with 4" hogs, you mama and various worms.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Football-s...-/111282363142
Old 02-19-14, 01:23 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't see why they wouldn't work. They shouldn't hang up as long as the bait covers the hook point. It's frustrating losing lures to pikes.
Old 02-19-14, 09:57 PM   #3
lilmule

As one reels or swims it it goes as far back in a straight line as possible,while the ones I had didnt hang up easily that wire tended to attract fine grass or even algae.
May have been just me,I do fairly well with a 1/2 oz football,just not swimming it or in that configuration.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 10:26 PM   #4
Jrob78

Tommy Biffle has won a lot of money over the last couple of years fishing his Hard Head and Biffle Bug. He reels it as fast as he can while keeping bottom contact. Here's an article that explains it.

http://www.wired2fish.com/how-to-fis...le-bug-system/
Old 02-20-14, 08:35 AM   #5
lilmule

I sweep rock rattle hop n roll all while maintaining bottom contact,moving fairly fast at times but swim a jig im fishing for fish off the bottom.So just want to bump the structure or what im fishing occasionally (such as a grass line or lilly pad point )to know im at right depth.And most of the time im swimming im in 4 ft of water or less.So moving that bait along at a good clip.I just do better normally with what im used to sweeping rocking ,shaking etc fast when shallow.Maybe because im am making more bottom contact thought never occurred to me.
Again that wire connector collected algae and fine grass a lot,generally inhibiting the action.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-20-14 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 01:46 PM   #6
MrMakk

hmm food for thought there.

I generally intend to fish slow, making the bait hop/bound/twitch along the bottom I am hoping that the wide gape hook will give a little bit of a weedless effect when I'm using the softbaits.
Old 02-24-14, 03:59 AM   #7
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

They're a very versatile way to present a variety of soft plastics. I started pouring my own a few months ago to save on expenses. A lot of our lakes have zebra mussels so I just can't justify spending $2 apiece just on a jighead. I really like that I can choose which size/style of hook I want to use when pouring my own. I have some as small as a 2/0 hook for small craws and beavers, up to a 7/0 for the YUM Mightee worms and other large worms.
I've been testing them this winter and had an excellent outing with them a couple weeks ago, mainly using a Netbait B-bug, Havoc Pitboss, and Zoom Brushhog.

I've also started to tie and build some of them as a very snag resistant bladed jig that I'm really excited about. I caught several fish on them already as well.

I've made them with a 4/0 Gamakatsu EWG

and a 6/0 Owner Twistlock XXX

I'm very pleased with how they come through cover and how well they still hook fish so far. It will be nice once we get some warmer weather so I can test them further!
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 07:59 PM   #8
Dave63

I love 'em and have had two tournaments saved last year by dragging Biffle Bugs and getting into some good fish.
Old 02-27-14, 01:54 PM   #9
lilmule

While im not sold on them for all uses,that pic with the sweet beaver(or something close) looks great sort of a more moveable shakeyhead,will have to get some.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.