Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-06-12, 08:45 PM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Sun baked crankbaits

From what I understand, this is how Ike came up with his line of Rapala DT's. He wanted baits that he didn't have to alter to mute the colors. I don't know if this is something I would ever do but it's a cool idea and you can't argue with the results.

http://blog.wired2fish.com/blog/bid/...Improved-Color
Old 11-07-12, 12:22 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Gonna have to give it a shot.
Old 11-07-12, 12:28 AM   #3
kennethdaysale

Maybe faster to soak in a mild bleach solution? Or would that just eat the clearcoat off? Or does it really even matter?
Old 11-07-12, 12:34 AM   #4
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Maybe faster to soak in a mild bleach solution? Or would that just eat the clearcoat off? Or does it really even matter?
I would think that would probably take the clear coat off. It probably wouldn't hurt anything per se, but would make the paint much less durable, I would think.

The sun bleach thing isn't new at all but I hadn't ever seen pictures of the results of doing it. You could even get creative with masking tape and tape off stripes or patterns that wouldn't be effected by the sun.
Old 11-07-12, 12:39 AM   #5
kennethdaysale

[QUOTE=Jrob78;397461]I would think that would probably take the clear coat off. It probably wouldn't hurt anything per se, but would make the paint much less durable, I would think.

The sun bleach thing isn't new at all but I hadn't ever seen pictures of the results of doing it. You could even get creative with masking tape and tape off stripes or patterns that wouldn't be effected by the sun.[/QUOTE]

Reminded me of a girl I used to date that put star stickers on before laying out in the sun, that was pretty creative.
Old 11-07-12, 01:36 AM   #6
Tavery5

I am going home tonight and pulling the hooks off all my LC jerbaits and throwing them out in the backyard so they get lots of sunlight. I will collect them in a couple of months and post back.
Old 11-07-12, 06:29 PM   #7
Bassboss

Cool! Might try that with some of my little smallmouth crankbaits!
Old 11-07-12, 07:41 PM   #8
pig n jig

Do you think the sun's UV rays changes the color on sun faded lures ? It is not so much what we see but what more of what we don't see in the uv ray coloring left behind as the sun fades the original paint finish ?
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 10:58 PM   #9
joedog

Default Just an idea

Normally I take simple tasks and try and make them more complicating then needed.
This time I'll try thinking the opposite way.

Instead of riding around with lures everywhere or the patio can't be walked on for fear of stepping on a treble hook, I think this would be much more efficient and handy.

GROW LIGHTS
Basically the sun in a bulb.
Remember though, they get HOT just like the sun too.
So only use in a ventilated room or area.

But now you can control the fade! Brighter longer or shorter.
Bake all day and night or for what ever period you desire.

My guess is that's how they are mass producing Ike's lures.
Heck with the right setting or lights you can probable fade treat in a week as opposed to a season. Maybe a day.

You say to much effort.
If your significant other 'bed tans', have them take a hand full of lures and throw them on the bed next to them while tanning.

Now fluorescent light will fade too because of UV light but now days their make up doesn't really allow much UV escaping with the visible light.

Finally, if it doesn't work, there is going to be a huge market for them in Colorado!

It should be noted, that the same light frequency that fades plastics also 'can' make the the plastics more brittle and may shorten the life span of said lure?
Old 11-08-12, 07:40 PM   #10
pig n jig

Back when I started Bass fishing,they use to put rat L traps on the dashboard during the summer to try to get them to expand or bloat up like an old dead possum laying in the sun .It gave them a different sound that seemed to catch more fish than the rat l trap.Maybe part of it was we believed it and fished them more, therefore they caught more fish than the others sitting in the tackle box.......
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 07:51 PM   #11
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Normally I take simple tasks and try and make them more complicating then needed.
This time I'll try thinking the opposite way.

Instead of riding around with lures everywhere or the patio can't be walked on for fear of stepping on a treble hook, I think this would be much more efficient and handy.

GROW LIGHTS
Basically the sun in a bulb.
Remember though, they get HOT just like the sun too.
So only use in a ventilated room or area.

But now you can control the fade! Brighter longer or shorter.
Bake all day and night or for what ever period you desire.

My guess is that's how they are mass producing Ike's lures.
Heck with the right setting or lights you can probable fade treat in a week as opposed to a season. Maybe a day.

You say to much effort.
If your significant other 'bed tans', have them take a hand full of lures and throw them on the bed next to them while tanning.

Now fluorescent light will fade too because of UV light but now days their make up doesn't really allow much UV escaping with the visible light.

Finally, if it doesn't work, there is going to be a huge market for them in Colorado!

It should be noted, that the same light frequency that fades plastics also 'can' make the the plastics more brittle and may shorten the life span of said lure?
The sun and the light it provides is free...know what it cost to run a "grow" light, either MH or HPS? There's a reason why good bud cost nearly as much as gold.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 08:37 PM   #12
RustyFender
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
The sun and the light it provides is free...know what it cost to run a "grow" light, either MH or HPS? There's a reason why good bud cost nearly as much as gold.
Now it's very clear where you're sad leftist mindset comes from. You are nothing but a worthless stoner. A slug. You probably post your hateful poison while you're doing bong hits giggling like beavis...why don't you log on to msnbc and roll around with glee posting with all your like minded libs in a huge circle jerk.
Old 11-08-12, 09:15 PM   #13
Dogmatic

I haven't smoked weed in 15 years you ignorant hick. What's your excuse for being an idiot? Fetal alcohol syndrome, all that booze your mother drank? Too bad she wasn't a pot head, you might have some brains left.

Last edited by Dogmatic; 11-08-12 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-08-12, 09:34 PM   #14
bamabassman

if any of oyu remember...i did and sometimes still do this with my plastic lizzies. let em fade some. worht a shot no doubt, if it'll work on plastics it should do the same on cranks.
Old 11-08-12, 09:55 PM   #15
joedog

Quote:
Actually I do.

And if you thought the price of weed has ANYTHING to do with the cost of lights.....you may want to rethink that!
GREED!
STUPIDITY!
LAZY!
...all are contributing factors and many many more!
I FLAT OUT GUARANTEE IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE COST OF LIGHTS!

Plus their truly are people who feel the benefit from this use of weed...so Rusty you too may want to rethink.

I lazy bum who smokes weed is a lazy bum. I'm sure again he'd be a lazy bum without weed.
A hard working, straight shooting, VOTING American who decides for what ever reason to use, is just that... A hard working American....

Joe my EXTREME APOLOGIES!
But guys I think this 'crap' has gone far enough. If you want to 'bicker', PM each other!

If I said something to offend either of you, I'm sorry and feel free to put me on your ignore list.

I should mention, all though I really feel NO need to....I don't even drink much more toke.
But I'm definitely NOT AGAINST either!!!!

Dog do YOU actually know the cost...technology has come along ways plus if you want go nuts...Solar panels are now being used to power grow lights.
These are large grow rooms. A single grow light you wouldn't even notice on your electric bill if it was on constantly.
Grow rooms have ALOT more than a single bulb.

Joe, again, please except my apologies!
Old 11-08-12, 09:59 PM   #16
Jrob78

Quote:
Besides the cost of the electricity, the lamps and fixtures cost a fortune. That said, I'm sure it would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFender View Post
Now it's very clear where you're sad leftist mindset comes from. You are nothing but a worthless stoner. A slug. You probably post your hateful poison while you're doing bong hits giggling like beavis...why don't you log on to msnbc and roll around with glee posting with all your like minded libs in a huge circle jerk.
Take your personal attacks somewhere else. It's childish and pointless and I don't want it on my thread.

No need to apologize Joe, you said it better than I would have and I agree with you on all counts.
Old 11-08-12, 10:11 PM   #17
Dogmatic

Yes, but lets put this into perspective, you are doing this to fade lures, right? Lights, ballast, reflectors, solar panels, to fade crankbaits? By the way, in CO, the cost of production, like any product really, is figured into the cost, or price to the consumer.(and like always, I didn't start the personal attacks, but when attacked, unjustly too, on a public forum, I have every right to defend myself on said forum, publicly, sorry for any discomfort.).

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.