Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-20-12, 11:58 AM   #26
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Often you are correct,different periods or times of the year also effect that,spawn as an example they wont eat much but tend to shoo away that which they deem as unnecessary or dangerous or attempt to kill it.
Yes open water one can get frog bit ,white generally,spro popin frog works well near buckbrush or a stump just as any other topwater,
Exception being bubblegum pink around bridges.,it works like a charm there and not much elsewhere other than real thick veggies.Yes have a bubblegum pink sumo frog,rarely use it.
I think a frog or a rat resembles the struggle many a creature would make when trying to swim or stay alive,mostly for me a walking type of frog works better than a straight one then if so a rat ,In my case garfield yes a cat bought it years ago as a lark works great when they want a straight retrieve.Havnt a clue but the largies love it.Second from left.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-20-12 at 12:16 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 09:31 PM   #27
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I guess I was trying to say that we shouldn't focus so much on connecting our frog baits to the live animal they represent, but rather on what qualities of a frog technique work so well.
I agree that a frog bait is not always a frog... This past year when the cicadas came out I threw a spro bronzeye jr and slayed them in areas heavy in cicadas.
Old 01-20-12, 10:36 PM   #28
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

love were this going
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 11:24 AM   #29
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Point of order: I think we can all agree that frog baits are
very productive and that productivity is in no real way because we have somehow fooled a bass into thinking that it is an actual live frog he's seeing. I read a comment somewhere (here or another board or an EZine) that if frogs where truelly in a bass' diet in any appreciable way then given a bass' voracious appetite there soon wouldn't be any frogs left. I believe we can further agree that frogs work so well because of where and how we fish them as opposed to any particular shape they have.
True it's a reaction stired by an instinct but, if color and action ( most brands brag about it) make no difference at all, then why can't I just rig a hook on a boobber and splash it around? Should work as well as any frog, right? Makes a splash and commotion, who cares that it's a bright orange.
I am joking and not picking on the poster, I just had to pick one, I lot of you feel exactly the same.
The trick, I believe, is creating the instinct, to closely resemble something the bass has seen before and been content after ingesting before.
I have actually caught a large FROG on a frog hollow body. My hunch is it thought it was a frog? Oh. it was a Spro, if anyone cares.
But I TOTALLY agree that 'I' place way to much concern on color, the basics should work. But remember, part of triggering instinctive reactions is definitly color. Again, this is only my opinion!
Any living creature will TRY something new or by mistake at times, but we/I are trying for something that triggers that reaction by the most fish and most times.
Finally, If I got to spend $10 plus on a frog and I got to watch it all day (as I'm throwing it) I want something PRETTY
Old 01-21-12, 12:14 PM   #30
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
True it's a reaction stired by an instinct but, if color and action ( most brands brag about it) make no difference at all, then why can't I just rig a hook on a boobber and splash it around? Should work as well as any frog, right? Makes a splash and commotion, who cares that it's a bright orange.
joe you've got a good point there (but if you'll wear a hat nobody will notice it) You prolly could catch some nice ones on a bobber just throw it in the right places and jiggle it just right

I am joking and not picking on the poster, I just had to pick one, I lot of you feel exactly the same. Well Kreskin (joedog) way to go on the mind meld!
ps I've never caught a frog on a frog but I've caught a few nice ones while fly fishing a hair-bug.
Old 01-21-12, 12:50 PM   #31
lilmule

Actually years ago while fishing with my wife who generally fished with a worm.
She tossed out and nice largemouth inhaled the orange and yeller bobber,east lynn lake wva,no hook in it though so came only so far but was amazing to see it disappear as soon as it hit the water,same kerwoosh I hear now days on a frog.So if one had a lifetime to toss one could place the hook near the bobber.Ever see a top prop without the triple curly tail its a bobber with two fins,and yes have caught fish on them.Smaller version is nicknamed canadian wiggler.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 01:34 PM   #32
wallywallace

anyone see the greakish lookin think that looks like a buzzbait blade hooked in front of the frog almost like a old meps spinner/ looks like a wild contraption, not interested in them but thought it was wild
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 11:52 PM   #33
Jrob78

My BPS has the Field Mouse in stock now. I got the larger size in brown and white. The detailing is excellent and plastic is really soft. The bait is a little more narrow than I expected and the double hook is quite a bit more narrow than a standard frog hook. The bait looks great, we'll see how it does on the water.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Next to a Spro frog for comparison.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-22-12, 12:04 AM   #34
kennethdaysale

That's a good looking floating plastic cylindrical topwater unit.....is the tail replaceable? gotta be
Old 01-22-12, 12:06 AM   #35
Jrob78

I don't know, it doesn't seem to be obviously replaceable.
Old 01-22-12, 12:36 AM   #36
bassboogieman

I could never bring one of those Kopper's mouses into my house - my wife would kill me, just knowing I couldn't resist teasing HER cats with it. And I don't think I could resist, she doesn't like my "cat"fishing jokes at all. Man it it only squeeked, yep I'll soon be a dead man walking. I gotta have a couple of those great looking baits. I just won't show it to the cats. I won't show it to the cats. Honest honey........

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-22-12 at 12:42 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 01:16 AM   #37
kennethdaysale

"Mikes" about to deliver the death blow!
Old 03-05-12, 09:05 AM   #38
Mike304
BassFishin.Com Member

I've got this thing about trying new frogs, since I love using them so much. I started out with spro's which I liked, but was not to impressed with the consistency of the bodies. Some were a lot stiffer than others, I have a black one that i won't even use.(anyone else have that problem?) I have a Bobby's Perfect and Ish's Phat frog(which I like), a Madd Maxx, Cabelas, Koppers(my favorite so far), plus 2 Spro Poppin frogs.
probably be trying these 4 this year. Already have the Pulse Frog. a guy at my local tackle shop gave it to me for hooking him up with 8 boxes of girl scout cookies!
http://evolvebaits.com/?product=nervous-walker
http://evolvebaits.com/?product=original-pulse-frog
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/River...ge-LDDF50.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Koppe...e-KOPMOUS.html

The evolve nervous walker is VERY similar to the Kopers frog. I checked one out the other day. Very soft Body.
The Dahlberg frog looks really cool in the water, at least on video(we'll see) and the field mouse was a must have for me as soon as it came out, unfortunately my bass season is a lot shorter than some of you guys, so Im waiting till this year to get it.
Those are my thoughts.
Old 03-05-12, 09:17 AM   #39
wallywallace

i saw one of those mice yesterday, havnt took the plunge, and dang saw an old RI frog yesterday on ebay, those things are high, 35.00 so i can get hung up lol no thanks

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.