Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-10-08, 06:05 PM   #1
cfellis17
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Wheel Bearing on Trailer

Hi,
I have a question about my trailer. It is a 2007 Tracker Trailstar trailer. Driving my boat home from the shop, one of the tire wheels was wobbling. It seems that I have lost the wheel bearing or the hub. To be honest, I'm not sure. Please let me know if any you have had this problem or if you could give me advice on how to fix the problem. Thanks.
cfellis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 07:27 PM   #2
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

CFELLIS,
Sounds to me like you have lost the bearings out of your hub from the "Grease Worms" eating them! Seriously, all you need to do is buy a set of new bearings, (I would suggest both inner and outer) as well as a new seal and a set of "Bearing Buddies".
Remove the bearing cap by prying on the lip next to the hub, then remove the cotter key and unbolt the spindle nut. This should allow the hub to slide off the spindle. Take a punch and shove it in the outside front side of the hub and knock the seal out of the rear of the hub, allowing the inner bearing to fall out of the hub. Then use the same punch to knock the rear bearing race out of the hub. Flip the hub around and stick the punch into the hub from the rear and knock the bearing race out of the front of the hub. Slide the inner race off of the spindle and wash the spindle and inside of the hub well with solvent or some type of degreaser. Use a wooden dowell to drive the new inner bearing races into the front and rear of the hub, and slide the new bearing race onto the spindle. Grease the bearings very well by working the WATERPROOF WHEEL BEARING GREASE into the bearings before inserting the bearings back into the hub. When you have the rear bearing well greased, drop it into the hub with the small end going in first. Lay the new bearing seal on the rear opening of the hub and lay a piece of flat board over the seal and tap it into the hub until it is flush with the rear opening of the hub. The flat metal part of the seal should be showing in the rear of the hub and the rubber seals should be facing towards the inside of the hub. Lubricate the outer race of the wheel bearing that you slid onto the spindle and slide the hub onto the spindle. Replace the outer greased bearing, small end first onto the spindle and into the outer side of the hub, then slide the outer bearing race onto the spindle and into the hub. Replace the flat washer over the outer bearing race and start the wheel bearing nut onto the spindle with the castelations (notches) towards the outside of the spindle. Tighten the nut until is is just barely snug, then back it off until you can slide a new cotter key into the first notch and thru the spindle, then bend the cotter key over against the end of the spindle. Use a wooden or rubber mallet and tap the "Bearing Buddy" into the hub. Very carefully, place a HAND TYPE grease gun on the grease zerk and put about 10 pumps of waterproof wheel bearing grease into the hub. Watch the rear seal carefully, and if the grease starts to ooze out of the rear seal, stop pumping grease into the hub. Replace the wheel on the hub and torque the wheel nuts to 90 ft lbs.
THERE YA' GO, SIMPLE AS BACKLAVA!!!!!

JackL

ps,
I would suggest that you replace the bearings in both wheels, if the "GREASE WORMS" ate one, chances are that they ate both!!!
Old 05-10-08, 08:27 PM   #3
cfellis17
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Jack
cfellis17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 08:34 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have not replaced my bearings yet *knock on wood* but i have the entire hub assembly. i find it is faster and easier to just yank the old hub and slap on a new one. this is VERY important when the bearings bite the big one while your in the middle of a road trip.. normally done at night whith your but inches off the white line of the interstate..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.