Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-26-07, 02:35 PM   #1
tntitans21399
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to tntitans21399 Send a message via Yahoo to tntitans21399
Default Upgrading Engine

I bought my first outboard boat last jan. I love it, but the only down side is the outboard. It is a 1972 Chrysler 55HP engine. I pushes my 16 ft Terry Bass around about 21 mph (by myself), which is fine with me, but if one only person (doesn't matter if it's 1 or 4 more) then the boat drops to a slow I'm guessing 10 mph. I checked the compression and both are at 140. A couple of my friends said with the 55HP that it should be going a little faster. I was going to upgrade and get a newer engine 80's model maybe. I'm not looking to be going 80 mph but if I could go about 20 with people would be nice enough. My question is since it's a 72 model it has the small old prop, and I was wondering how much of a difference a newer 55HP, with the bigger typical tradition type prop on most boats now, would make? If the newer type engine would make a big difference then I might stay at the same HP, but I was also thinking about going up to a 75-85HP. What do y'all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1972 Terry Bass Boat 4.jpg
Views:	996
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1797  
tntitans21399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 06:58 PM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

In the day the Chislers where good for what they where designed for, pushing around heavier boats. You have a Terry which is a fairly heavy boat which is one reasont hat they rode so well and where stable. In fact at one time if ya didnt have a Terry you just didnt have a boat. Anyways as long as the transom is still in good shape (and most of the Terry's I have seen lately are still in good shape) I wouldnt be afraid at all to go to a 75 or 85hp motor at all. A LOT of the ones that are still down here are running 85hp Merc's. I am sure you could find what you are looking for at a reasonable price. As far as going back to a 50 or 55hp motor but a later model you still arent gonna gain much even with todays better engines and designs due to the weight of your boat. If you are still wanting to stay with around a 50hp I know of a mid 80's 50hp Evinrude with controls .........I beleive the man told me he wanted $200 for it. Ifn ya want I could check the motor out and make sure she is ok or even I could hunt around and try and dig ya up a 75-85 for a good price. There's alot of those around here. Lemme know what ya decide and keep us posted. Personally I would opt for the larger engine I feel like you would be much happier and it would be easier on your wallet with the fuel.
Old 09-26-07, 07:22 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

before 1995 all horse power ratings were takin off the fly wheel.in 95 they started taking the horse power readings off the prop shaft.. a 55 horse chysler probly only puts out 35 horse at the prop shaft..

terry boats are quite heavy -i have a 71- for what they are.for some reason all the poeple i have talked to about terry boats state the same. the transoms are normally in good shape.. i would definatly go with a 60-90 horse moter.. terry's aint speed demons in no way shape or form..i am jealus you have a steering wheel..

let me know if you want to get rid of the chiztler i think i may have some one looking for one..

zooker
Old 12-17-07, 02:48 PM   #4
tntitans21399
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to tntitans21399 Send a message via Yahoo to tntitans21399

The boat is in great shape, the transom is in great shape. I think the original owner must have babied it. It does seem to be a heavier boat, but I really like the layout and would like to keep for a very long time. I give it a paint job this summer, but I wanted to get a upgrade on the motor first.

Yeah I'm not looking to be a speed demon, I would have bought a jet boat if I wanted speed. Just maybe a little more speed, and mainly not the lack of speed with other people. I'm racing pontoons with people in it.

My Terry boat is rated for a 75HP, so I think I might end up going with a little older engine and get the 75-85HP.
tntitans21399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 03:13 PM   #5
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

Seems to me you should be getting a little more out of it. I can see the 21 or so top end but it shouldn't drop to half speed when you add 1 person. I'd go through the ignition and fuel systems and see what you cand find. mayby your prop hub is slipping. Do you know the pitch of the prop and the RPM at top speed ?
foolishone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 06:23 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

on my 71 johnson i am running 5300 rpm wot. speed gps at 29 without tilt /trim. and my big azz in the nose..-stick steer-

if i add any new parts to the terry i have it will be a tilt trim..

zooker
Old 12-17-07, 10:28 PM   #7
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I had a 73 Marlin (like side winder) with a 85 Johnson it run about 45 but it was a different hull for sure.I would not go over the rateing plate for insurance reasons those co are just begging to no pay on claims
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 04:01 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I had a Terry in the late 70's for about one summer. It had a 65 mercury on it. Scared the hell out of me.. So bought a Tracker pro-17. Oddly I felt safer in the tin boat..

My Terry did 25 tops flat calm..

Still scared me..

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.