Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-20-07, 02:23 PM   #1
Plitz
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Back to the basic jigs

Hi,I need to take a look at my jig selection,as I'm the worst jigfisher there is.This year I want to really learn this bait.In the past I have just bought jigs at random with no real thought behind them.When it came time to fish them I could not even rember the weight that I had bought or brand.This year my plan is to start over.What I would like to do is buy from 1 company 2 differnt sizes and like 2 colors.I'm trying to keep things uniform and easy,so I can get a feel for the bait and learn what they feel like.What brand size and color do you recommend that I learn with. Thx...
Plitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 02:34 PM   #2
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

First, where do you plan to throw these jigs? Different head styles cater to different areas of fishing, for instance, a football head would be a good choice in rocks, an arky head in wood cover, and a bullet style head in grass. There are also hybrid jigs which have features of more than one stlye. As far as brand, that's just angler preference, pick a jig with a good hook and components, and you'll be set. As far as colors, I'd be willing to bet that the best selling jig is a black/blue color. If in doubt for other colors, find out what the crayfish in your area look like, or pick all white. For size, I'd pick a 1/4 and 1/2oz to start with.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 02:38 PM   #3
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

ok,sizes, I like 3/8 ounce for all-around,but if you get some 1/2 ounce,you should be covered. I also use 2 differant colors,black/blue and green pumpkin. I like the PC Baits 2 3/4'' frog trailer,it is a very good trailer. Here's his website, sterling's a great guy and he makes some of the best custom lures out there.
http://pcbaits.com/
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 02:41 PM   #4
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i too was awful with jigs last year.. i finally went out one day with nothing but jigs, for 8 hours. they turned from a horrible deficiency to a positive confidence bait in that 8 hours.
I recommend a green pumpkin jig, with a similar color trailer. I use my aunt zippies in a watermelon candy, and i pour the tails bright orange (like a crawdad of course). and a black/blue jig would be a good second option.
id go with a 1/4 and 1/2 like dampeoples says, thats a good range.
When you start getting down to 1/16oz difference in jigs, label them.
I label the bottom of my tackle boxes with the weight of the jig, size of the hooks etc.

Here is another tip that has helped me. trim your skirts to JUST behind the hook, gives more profile to the trailer. also trim the weedguard, push it back up against the hook and trim at an angle so when you push down you JUST miss the hook. it will help.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 05:04 PM   #5
Plitz
BassFishin.Com Member

Here in Wi I'll be fishing mainly weeds anywhere from thick slops in the shallows down, to about 12' or so.I did settle on a finesse jig, a 5/16oz eakins jig,For swim jigs I use 1/4oz Brovarney jigs,I guess I'm looking for a good weed jig that I can learn and stick with until I'm ready to widen my jig selection.I'm looking to pitch shallow weeds and pads and deep weed edges. Thx...
Plitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 08:22 PM   #6
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The best heavy cover jig I have found is the grassmaster jig. http://www.allterraintackle.com/products/grassjig.html

Last edited by pig n jig; 02-20-07 at 08:31 PM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 08:26 PM   #7
vagabond

I can't fish jigs the way you are supposed to. I either don't get bites or can't tell if I'm getting bites. But a couple of times last year I caught a lot of big fish on jigs in like 6-12 inches of water.

We were both using 1/2 oz. I don't know what type of jig head we had. I just used what my buddy gave me. Both times I had on a black/blue and he had on a white and maybe chartruse jig. We both were using brush hogs as traiers.

We had to take turns fishing because there wasn't a lot of good spots to cast but we'd get right near the weeds by the bank. The weeds/reeds came out into the water about 20 feet and the water was very shallow.

When we came to an opening in the grass (even sometimes as small as an 18 inch opening, we'd throw our jig in there. Now the jig is only in less than a foot of water sometimes but as soon as it hit the water, sometimes you would see the grass moving like 10 feet away as they were coming in to smash it.

We didn't have a lot of room to play with so most of the fish we caught this way were caught from them just hearing the inital "plop" when the jig hit the water.

I know it's not the correct way to fish a jig, but it was fun when the fishing was slow until we started doing that.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 08:45 PM   #8
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
The best heavy cover jig I have found is the grassmaster jig. http://www.allterraintackle.com/products/grassjig.html

Go ahead say his name! Say it louder!!!. Say it louder!!!!! Listen to this man, he's a jighead if there ever was one. And for grass, you can't beat the jig he posted. I know, I use them pretty much exclusively now in the vegetation down here in Florida. They have a recessed line tie that is just fabulous. Get some 1oz-1.5oz ones for punching through the heavy stuff, and some 1/2oz-3/8oz for normal lighter grass areas. I fish any color jig as long as it has green or greenpumpkin, or brown in it. Now for rocks I do prefer Mann's Stone jig

Lizards
Old 02-20-07, 10:25 PM   #9
Fuzzyfellar
BassFishin.Com Member

Plitz, where in WI are u?
Fuzzyfellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 10:27 PM   #10
zooker

mainly i have been using the pnj as a deep struture bait. most of my pnj bass come from 10+ feet of water.i like 1/4-3/16 once foot ball heads..

zooker
Old 02-22-07, 11:03 AM   #11
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

In rivers I've had good luck with A Baby Boo Booyah jig. I also like Stanley jigs. We have a custom jig guy here (S&W jigs) and I use his stuff a lot. I mostly fish black/blue but will use brown or green pumpkin also. In skinny water I'll use a 3/16 or 1/4 oz. I use a 5/16 some but that's about as heavy as I use. I don't fish a jig much over 10' deep.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 11:19 AM   #12
mymomisbecky

im considering making my own jigs, possibly for sale this year. I want to really bad, but the start up cost for molds, lead, pot etc is considerable.
but generally speaking every jig has its place. I have arrowhead, football, single ball, knuckleball, shaky head, i use em all... they can be versatile

Last edited by mymomisbecky; 02-22-07 at 11:26 AM.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 12:23 PM   #13
JB

I've always used stanley jigs in 1/4 3/8, 1/2 and 5/16 in black and blue,
Have a few in green or brown and orange.
Also have black or blue hair jigs, but have never paid attention to the brand name...a hair jig with a small trailer is often the ticket when you need a small profile.
I've also seen hair jig used with a red cloth looking leech for a trailer produce on the river.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 08:26 PM   #14
WIbassfisherman

Hey Chad, it's Chad from KMMBT. I could put you in touch with Dale (former partner). The money we made apart from my crankbaits last year were all jigs that he made. You can get any color you want and any size. I don't think we threw anything else at Pike Lake when we caught those 4 fish for 13lbs. He'll charge you about $1.50-$1.75 a jig. Message or e-mail me.
Old 02-22-07, 11:43 PM   #15
Curado

My favorite jig is the Hart Justice jig. It's head design makes it come through wood and grass very well. I would get it in a 1/2 oz. and 1/4 oz. unless you're gonna be punching it through thick mats of vegetation then you might want a 1 oz. In color I would use brown/orange/green pump. and black/blue and that would basically cover the different water conditions.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.