Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-05, 10:10 PM   #1
FlyinRyan12
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Size of Line?

I was reading in my magezines today, that the size of the line affects the fall rate. I understand that. BUT...what got me confused was they were saying larger diameter causes the bait to fall slower, and smaller the diameter makes it fall faster. How is this?

BTW...a friend from church has offered to let me use his boat next weekend, can't wait.

One more thing. Down here in GA, the temp is starting to drop...to the higher 70's. How long does it take for the water to cool to unfavorable conditions? Any ideas.

Travis
FlyinRyan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-05, 10:24 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Trav-the larger diameter line has more surface area, which means more resistance in the water, which means slower fall. Same principal as smaller diameter line allows a crankbait to run deeper.

It will take a while for the water to cool down, and you are probably going to hit it just about right. Here in Texas the water was in the low 80s, and we just got the same cold front y'all did. By this weekend it will probably drop into the 70s, which is when they really start to feed. I've got a tournament this weekend and am really looking forward to it.
Old 10-24-05, 10:42 PM   #3
FlyinRyan12
BassFishin.Com Member

It won't be this Saturday, it will be next. I hope it won't be too cold by then.
FlyinRyan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 02:51 PM   #4
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Flourocarbon lines sink so a larger line of flourocarbon will sink faster than a bit smaller diameter of monofilament line because the monofilament line is said to absorb a small amount of water changing the properties of the line while you fish it. I suspect if you fished in a vat of Hollandaise sauce, it would effect both lines equally, probably gumming up your expensive reel in the process.Getting back to the flourocarbon, if it doesn't absorb water, then the properties are pretty much the same as it was except the temperature has changed from air to water, but if the properties doesn't change, no wonder it breaks easily, because it constantly has friction applied to it where the monofilament line absorbs water and will act as a lubricant to reduce friction while it is being fished.It really is becoming very clear to me , that when I bought that brand new leopard skin pillbox hat for the girl I was seeing once upon a time. I didn't know she was letting someone else wear it from time to time.No wonder the doctor told me to stay away from there, I walked by the other day and all he had on was her brand new leopard skin pillbox hat. Whats up with that ? Since then, I have had dreams of seeing her and this other character together while the shade wasn't pulled completely down.It was none other than the cat in a hat wearing her brand new leopardskin hat.I remember yelling hey cat, whats up with that ? before he pulled the shade down he said because she's where its at. Where am I ? Oh disregard the last part, gotta run. P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 10-29-05 at 03:00 PM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 03:17 PM   #5
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

It is because the wider the line the less water diamic.
Old 10-29-05, 04:46 PM   #6
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

diamic??where did you go to college,harvard???
Old 10-29-05, 05:34 PM   #7
Unregistered

Question