Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-17-05, 01:49 PM   #1
worm_warrior
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Back of the boat...... Ohio

I fish in club tournaments in Ohio at Lake Erie and our last tournament was at Resthaven in Castalia. The guy in the back of the boat is at such a disadvantage when it somes to catching bass. You are practically throwing in used water everytime u throw out. I have not done to good as a non-boater in our last 2 tourneys. Any advice for this non-boater beside getting my own boat. haha.
worm_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 03:10 PM   #2
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36
Default Re: Back of the boat...... Ohio

Throw something the same speed as your boater but a different bait. If hes throwing a jig, you throw a tube or a finesse worm. If he's throwing a crankbait, throw a spinnerbait - etc. Also watch where he throws, so you can pick a different hole in the cover.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 03:13 PM   #3
redneck13
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to redneck13

Hoosier,excellent idea.Something in the same basic category but a little different look.
redneck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 03:29 PM   #4
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

You can do well from the back of the boat. If the guy in the front is catching then throw something similar. If he's not catching then throw something different. Duh
If possible find someone who has a boat and is willing to take you out so you can practice up.
Practice might make you closer to perfect than knowing nothing at all ref. the lake that your fishing.
At least you can develope a process of elimination by getting on the water prior to the tournament.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 07:09 AM   #5
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Improve your casting and flipping techniques and ask the boater to stand up with him on the front deck, if he wont allow you, then fish areas he missed or nearby.
Lots of time you can make several casts to the same area before you get her to strike.
True to the "non boater" it seems like used water, but put yourself in the place of the boat owner,, they have to run the trolling motor, not a easy task for the beginner, esp the back ache it can give ya for 8 hours if ya never did it before, plus the non boater has the luxury of not having to keep upkeep n maintanence on the boat, something that wears on many a boat owner if something goes wrong during the tournament.
For instance, broken steering cables, big motor wont run smooth, trolling motor screws up, and on n on.
I have met some of the best anglers that can catch fish but dont have the "total package" when it comes to winning consistantly, either they cant show up on time or get so side tracked on bullsh*t it ruins their day.
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 07:31 AM   #6
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Fish a depth he's not if he's high go low and vise versa.
go with a different presentation than he's using. Fish further out or closer in. Try to watch for holes he misses. ask him to fish one side and you the other your a team and he should respect this, figure a game plan so you both can have fun and be competitive at the same time.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 08:17 AM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Yes the back boater has used water to fish a lot of the time. Depending on the format, the boater may only be competing against other boaters, and you are only competing against other back boaters. If you are competing against your boater, then it's a pretty unfair format. The fact is he will usually have access to the active fish before you get to them. So now you have a choice, either deal with this or go buy a boat. Which also means you should be prefishing for tourneys, upkeeping your boat, etc... I've heard everything from throw the same thing to throw completely different stuff. My suggestion is to fish with your best confidence bait if you can. If you can't, then fish whatever you can under the situations that you have confidence in. I am a non-boater in the tourneys I fish, and it can be frustrating, but it is what it is. Either try to figure out ways to catch fish with what you have or don't fish tourneys as a non-boater. I have learned something new everytime out, so watch and learn how the boater is catching fish. New techniques or suttle little twists in the presentaion, might help you boat some fish. I believe the boater wholeheartedly wants to win the tourney, so of course they are gonna try everything they can to catch fish. You need to do the same, but you are gonna be restricted by what he does and how. That's what they call tourney fishing Now if you're boater completely doesn't give you any room to cast, or puts you in trees while he's fishing, then throw him overboard and continue to fish :-*

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 09:19 AM   #8
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I almost love fishing from the back of the boat. There has been many times that I have outfished my buddy while riding with him and sitting in the back. You have to look at it as he may be drawing bass in for you to catch. Bass will actually come to see what is going on when there is something causing a riot. He may be casting at the areas first, but you have the opportunity to catch what he might have attracted in while casting. You also have the chance to cast behind the boat more than he does, so you can bring some in your self. Even though he gets to cast at the cover first doesn't always mean that he will catch what may be holding to that cover. Keep at it and don't lose hope.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 03:44 PM   #9
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

I used to hate the back of the boat whenever the person up front kept ya positioned out of far that you cant reach the target the he has already worked over.
However, in most tournies the boater gets in pretty close and if he's any good at all in wind can keep ya parallel to the bank.
The secret to my sucess at the back of the boat was staying on top of the bite......that is ...day after day on the water, you learn the migration habits and feeding habits and know what to throw while the *1 day a week angler* up front is searching for the right bait.
They almost always switch to what you caught your last bass on anyways..but I guess we are all guilty of that....
the old expression "Ya got nuther one of those baits buddy" lmao 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 05:19 PM   #10
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=JB link=board=news;num=1116348583;start=0#8 date=05/18/05 at 14:44:30]I used to hate the back of the boat whenever the person up front kept ya positioned out of far that you cant reach the target the he has already worked over.
However, in most tournies the boater gets in pretty close and if he's any good at all in wind can keep ya parallel to the bank.
The secret to my sucess at the back of the boat was staying on top of the bite......that is ...day after day on the water, you learn the migration habits and feeding habits and know what to throw while the *1 day a week angler* up front is searching for the right bait.
They almost always switch to what you caught your last bass on anyways..but I guess we are all guilty of that....
the old expression "Ya got nuther one of those baits buddy" lmao 8)[/quote]

I haven't been lucky enough yet to fish with a regular guy, instead I've been matched up with some good fisherman. I would prefer to fish with a regular guy, he'll leave a lot more fish for me to get ;D Even if it's by accident I'll take em.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 09:50 PM   #11
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

By the way, I did finish in 1st place in my club in 04.
Non-Boater.
Now I use my own boat and not doing nearly as well, go figure.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 02:53 AM   #12
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Don't think about getting your own boat yet. You're beaten before you leave the dock, so getting a boat won't help. You'd just have to think up another excuse.

If you can catch fish, it don't matter which end of the boat you're in. You really think that the guy in the front of the boat is going to catch EVERY fish? Do you really? If he is catching fish, and you're not that tells me that you can't catch fish even in an area that you KNOW has fish. Why not? Because you're too busy worrying about what he's doing and not enough about what YOU are doing.

Thank you for contributing to the winners pot.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-05, 03:08 AM   #13
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Being a non boater will allow you to learn how people use different lures and how they position the boat to use the lures as well as what type of area they are fishing with the lure.You have got to pay attention to whats happening around you to learn.Then get your own boat apply the things you have learned and kick their @sses for taking advantage of you while you were learning all of the things to do from them as they took your money each week.I think its a good trade off if you pay attention and key in on what they do to catch the fish they do.Hopefully you will draw alot of different partners so you can learn the best ways more than one person catches fish. I hope this helps. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.