Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-05-04, 06:10 PM   #1
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52
Default Zebco 33 PLatnum

walmart has them on cleance for $5.50, are these reels any good,(i dont have a spincaster so im thinking of gettin one tommorw
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-04, 06:24 PM   #2
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Re: Zebco 33 PLatnum

[quote author=PowerBass link=board=news;num=1094418656;start=0#0 date=09/05/04 at 17:10:56]walmart has them on cleance for $5.50, are these reels any good,(i dont have a spincaster so im thinking of gettin one tommorw[/quote]
all i got to say is, you get what you pay for
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-04, 06:49 PM   #3
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

you can catch bass on them if thats what you're asking.
That doesn't mean they're any good.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-04, 08:34 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

A zebco 33 was a reel I used for years. I still have one I can't say I understand why they are only $5.50. It a decent spincaster, but not top of the line. If you are just starting out and like them, buy a couple. If you've been fishing for awhile, then go with a baitcaster or my preference spinning reel.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-04, 11:57 PM   #5
lovebaseball
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lovebaseball

I commonly use a spincast/medium rod combo for weightless worms, small topwater baits, and when throwing soft plastic jerk baits. The "rhino tough" 33's and early red rhino models are great reels. The lightweight of these spincast reels increase my casting accuracy when throwing lighter weight lures.

The new platinum is too heavy and seems impossible to cast accurately compared to the older "rhino tough" 33. The push button also tends to stick when casting heavier lures.

I retired my 33 plat. to crappie fishing duties. One good thing is it hasn't rusted inside like my new rhino.
lovebaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 12:02 AM   #6
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

They're a great reel for small game,
such as Crappie, Sunfish, and occasionally
Pickerel... I wouldnt use one for a bigger fish,
such as a Flathead or Blue... Big bass are also not
a favor for a reel like that.

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 12:06 AM   #7
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

Man for that price buy 2 or 3. You will eventually find a use for them.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 12:08 AM   #8
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I just looked at em and for that price they look great, I thought that they were plastic little cheap ones at first, but those look nicer. I'd say buy a couple, you'll eventually use all of them.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 08:11 AM   #9
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

i normally use a baitcaster or spinning rod, but i was thinking for my neice who is 8 yrs old...
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 10:51 AM   #10
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

The reason Wal-Mart, (or any other mass merchandiser) puts stuff like that on sale is they don't want to tie up warehouse or floor space in the store with stuff they don't think will sell well at different times of the year. It's cheaper to sell it at fire sale prices than it is to store it, and they make room for other stuff.

Hence in the fall they dump fishing tackle, and stock up on hunting equipment. Reverse it in the spring. When you see they have a bunch of something on sale like that you can bet that somone said "get rid of it".
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 02:43 PM   #11
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

A few years ago I think it was Woo Daves used a spincast reel for flipping. He claimed that it was good and would handle big fish. You won't have to worry about backlashes.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 12:04 AM   #12
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=bassnman30 link=board=news;num=1094418656;start=0#10 date=09/08/04 at 13:43:59]A few years ago I think it was Woo Daves used a spincast reel for flipping. He claimed that it was good and would handle big fish. You won't have to worry about backlashes.[/quote]

It was Woo, but i think it was actually skipping he used it for. And the platnum should be a good reel. They have included instant anti reverse on it. I am not a fan of spincast, but they have thier place.

At that price, how could you go wrong?

My dad has had a 33 for over 20 years, and is still using it today. And he bass fishes religiously.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 07:05 AM   #13
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Actually Woo was using a Zebco 1, which is/was just a big version of the 33. He was using it to drop a heavy weighted worm down into the grass on the Illinois River.

The trick with a spin cast reel is to use both hands to cast with. Rather than using the push button to stop the bait, which will jerk the bait back at you, learn to keep your free hand in front of the reel, with the line running between your thumb and forefinger. Use those fingers to "feather" the line as it goes out, just like you'd use your thumb to feather a baitcaster.
Old 09-09-04, 09:31 AM   #14
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

I must say I would use spincasters a lot more if they would start doing some upgrading, and refining. For example they need to come out with some higher gear ratios, and also some bigger models suited for heavier fishing. How hard would it be to pitch and flip with a spincasters huh? It makes a lot of aspects of fishing easier IMO. It is also a lot better for when it gets cold. Less time your hands are in contact with any water But until someone or some company starts to build some better models and specs it will continue to be considered a light fishing reel, and better suited for kids, which I disagree with.

Lizards
Old 09-09-04, 09:46 AM   #15
Files
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Files

I have a limited income and for that price you can't go wrong, can you? ER :
Files is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 05:31 PM   #16
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, Diawa, and Abu make some decent quality spin casting reels. Â*The one's BPS sells under their name looks to be decent too, although I've never seen one.

The problem with spin casting tackle from a manufactures point. Â* No one wants to pay for a good quality spin casting reel, because they think of them as "kids tackle", and cheap is good enough for kids. Â*Since there is no market for them, only a few manufactures make them, and even fewer stores sell them. Â*It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Â*No one makes them, so no one buys them. Â*No one buys them, so no one makes them.

Old 09-10-04, 07:13 AM   #17
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=CajunBass link=board=news;num=1094418656;start=0#15 date=09/09/04 at 16:31:59]Lizards, Diawa, and Abu make some decent quality spin casting reels. The one's BPS sells under their name looks to be decent too, although I've never seen one.

The problem with spin casting tackle from a manufactures point. No one wants to pay for a good quality spin casting reel, because they think of them as "kids tackle", and cheap is good enough for kids. Since there is no market for them, only a few manufactures make them, and even fewer stores sell them. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. No one makes them, so no one buys them. No one buys them, so no one makes them.

[/quote]

I own a Diawa, and it is a good reel. I also have 2 of the Rhino's I use frequently, plus the Zebco 33. You hit the nail on the head, with the self fulfilling prophecy. I actually use them for my Jitterbugs, because of the slow retrieve speed. I also will use them for some slow rolling of spinners, it helps keep me slowed down. My dad fishes exclusively with them, and he can hit a dime at 100 paces(yes it's an exageration ). But when it comes to the Buzzbaits, it can't really get it done. :P I will continue to use them, and the better ones can cast a mile One down side to them is the don't handle braid or fused line at all. The coatings flake off inside, and gum up the works. :P Well enough of my soap box speech.

Lizards
Old 09-10-04, 07:15 PM   #18
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spinnerbaitking

disposable at that price. good way to get a couple rods set up without large investment just realise there limitations for big fish and heavy baits. while back i wrote zebco customer service asking if they make any higher gear ratio reels but never got an answer back. but for now they work good for my kids and for me running soft weedless plastics and deadsticking. course im not above throwing lighter cranks or buzzbait with them just gota reel like heck to bring em in fast.
spinnerbaitking is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.