Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-14-13, 06:59 PM   #1
jamesh99
BassFishin.Com Member

Question thinking about a kayak

I am thinking about getting an ascend FS12T. I am wondering if anybody knows how well they work and how good of quality.
jamesh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 07:12 PM   #2
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

jamesh99 welcome to the site.

Hold your breath....these anglers KNOW their Kayaks!
You picked a great forum to ask that question!

I'm going to follow this thread as all other kayak threads and posts.....the 'Monkey almost has ME convinced I SOMEHOW under spent last year ' and he's a good talker!

Again welcome to the site!
Old 01-14-13, 08:52 PM   #3
jamesh99
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks joe dog
Old 01-14-13, 10:10 PM   #4
bassboogieman

Have no knowledge of that specific kayak. I fish from a Hobie PA-14, but I can say it is an extremely fun way to fish. I enjoy my Hobie as much as fishing from my bass boat.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 10:18 PM   #5
jamesh99
BassFishin.Com Member

about how much does that kayak cost
Old 01-14-13, 10:22 PM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have an 10 ft ascend. Its a little heavier than I suspected it would be. Not super fast. Tracks as straight as a bullet. For the money, its certainly tolerable.

I think you are looking at the slightly larger, fishing version, right?
Old 01-14-13, 11:03 PM   #7
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh99 View Post
about how much does that kayak cost
Hey James, check out this thread. It has tons of details and pics in it of Bruce's (bassboogieman) kayak. Not sure if the cost is in there anywhere, but you might find the thread useful regardless.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 09:59 AM   #8
bassboogieman

As for the price of Hobie - ANY HOBIE - unfortunately they are expensive when compared to other kayaks and some of that has to do with the drive system. Other kayaks with a pedal drive are also expensive when compared to a paddle 'yak, but hobie is probably the most expensive. The 2013 Pro Angler 14 (14') is near $2900, and I really think they need to be trailered, another expense. They also introduced a PA-12 (12') last year but it isn't much cheaper at about $2600. That's Hobie's top-of-the-line fishing kayak. Less expensive is the Outback (12') which I started out with last year. It is better suited for car top or back of a pick-up and it is much lighter in weight. It is a very nice fishing platform. I changed to the bigger PA-14 because I am a pretty large guy and it is more comfortable, better storage, and you can keep your rods horizontal in tubes, I really did not like my rods sticking up in the air and hanging in branches. Check them out on line.

If you are interested in a 'yak with a drive system you may also look at Wilderness Kayak. The drive system is a different style and they are a bit cheaper than Hobie. A kayak with a drive stytem was critical for me for fishing as holding a fishing rod and paddling was a bother I wanted to eliminate. You can find them on the secondary (used) market, but they really hold their value well.

Thanks for the plug, Dean.
Old 01-15-13, 10:07 AM   #9
bamabassman

welcome to the BEST site on the world wide web buddy.

now, if oyu will read and head these fellas advice....you will get the best bang for your buck on a yak. i kow absolutly nothing aobut them. but i can and will vouce for these guys. they know their stuff man.

good luck and post up some pics of oyur new ride when oyu get it ok? even though i know nothing aobu thtem, except what i see and read here, i and everyone else LOVE to see new friends and their rides. so post up the pics when oyu can.
Old 01-15-13, 10:35 AM   #10
lilmule

Entry level yak at walley world 250-300,not well designed for fishing but gives one an idea if they will like it.Versus 2500-3k.
Been thinking of getting one myself as fish the obion chain a lot and no ramps.
Smaller,lighter but still viable,again bare entry level,but for catch and release suitable to try it out to see if suitable for you.
Then if you like it go buy a better one not out much if not in my case wont upgrade as not primary.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-15-13 at 10:42 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 12:42 PM   #11
WaffleJaw

Whats your budget?...And what/where type of fishing are you doing...Large lakes,rivers,etc
Old 01-15-13, 06:56 PM   #12
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Entry level yak at walley world 250-300,not well designed for fishing but gives one an idea if they will like it.
The Ascend Kayak I used cost a little over 300. I think the model he is looking/asking about is like 400, somewhere in there.
Old 01-15-13, 07:16 PM   #13
jamesh99
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Whats your budget?...And what/where type of fishing are you doing...Large lakes,rivers,etc
$500 -$1000, small lakes and strip pits my dad is looking at buying me and him one so we dont have to take the big boat out
Old 01-15-13, 07:30 PM   #14
bassboogieman

With your budget that will put you in a paddle kayak. For fishing I would recommend a sit-on-top over a sit-in kayak. You will sit higher off the water - easier casting and you can see slightly better. They are also self bailing so if you take water over the bow or sides water will drain out. They will easily carry on top of a vehicle or in the back of a pick-up. They are a bit more expensive than a sit in, but you will want a kayak you are comfortable in when fishing or may not enjoy using it. As I said i'm fairly big and would prefer something in a 12' length. Storage is aways an issue in a kayak and the smaller the craft the more that is evident. Good luck in your search.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-16-13 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-15-13, 07:33 PM   #15
jamesh99
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks boogieman
Old 01-15-13, 10:27 PM   #16
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

James, I have that model.

It's a solid kayak for the price. Think it was 480 when I bought mine, but went up since then, if I remember correctly.

Like someone already stated, it is rather heavy, and cumbersome. I had a helluva time getting it on the top of my car to bring home lol.

It does handle well on the water. Tracking isn't a problem. Don't believe any review that says you can stand up to fish from it. They are lying lol

Fairly easy to add extra hatches and install a fish finder and such. Whatever you get, an anchor trolley is a must!

If I had it to do over again,I would probably spend a lil more money for a Hobie, but for 500 bucks, it's pretty hard to beat
Old 01-15-13, 10:40 PM   #17
MallenManson

James, how tall are you?
I'm 5'10, to put this into perspective.

The rod holder is positioned a little too far forward, and I actually pinched my psiatic nerve reaching for it one time. Still fished tho

If you buy the ascend, I would highly recommend replacing the junk Scotty rod holder with the Cabela's Quickdraw rod holder. It allows you to pull the rod back towards you, while pulling it out
Old 01-16-13, 01:09 AM   #18
WaffleJaw

You gotten some pretty good advice...For the budget there's a good range available.
Ive been fortunate enough to paddle/peddle several makes and models this year and their are some very nice kayaks out their...But comfort feels different to everyone...If you can, see about test paddling some,or sit in them and imagine whats thats gonna feel like in 4-8 hours....Think about what you weigh and how much gear you plan on taking,then check out the carrying capacity on them...I think the Ascend is 300-350ish?..Which should cover you well if you like that kayak.

I prefer sit-on-tops..I fished sit in sides and they're fine, but sit on tops cater better to me....However a hybrid like the Native Ultimate and Wilderness System Commander are awesome in creeks and small waters as well..They dont have scupper holes (self bailing) so there's no ''stump stuck'' when gliding over a stumps, barely underwater, that lock into your scupper hole and your locked up.. Its a PAIN to get off of them.
However, the trade off is rain is your enemy!

But for under 1k, I recommend you check out Wilderness Systems line up. They offer the best bang for the buck imo...Most 12' models are under 1k...I'll echo Boogie on at least a 12' kayak...This will cover almost all rivers,small lakes and large lake arms...I paddle the WS Ride115 (11'5'') And after testing other $1200 kayaks it just made me love mine even more!
But that's because its comfortable to me,and I wanted a stand and fish kayak...

Make sure you leave enough room in the budget for a paddle,carrying system,PFD, whistle or whatever else you state requires for the water.
Good luck! Its a fun way to catch fish
Old 01-16-13, 01:14 AM   #19
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
You gotten some pretty good advice...For the budget there's a good range available.
Ive been fortunate enough to paddle/peddle several makes and models this year and their are some very nice kayaks out their...But comfort feels different to everyone...If you can, see about test paddling some,or sit in them and imagine whats thats gonna feel like in 4-8 hours....Think about what you weigh and how much gear you plan on taking,then check out the carrying capacity on them...I think the Ascend is 300-350ish?..Which should cover you well if you like that kayak.

I prefer sit-on-tops..I fished sit in sides and they're fine, but sit on tops cater better to me....However a hybrid like the Native Ultimate and Wilderness System Commander are awesome in creeks and small waters as well..They dont have scupper holes (self bailing) so there's no ''stump stuck'' when gliding over a stumps, barely underwater, that lock into your scupper hole and your locked up.. Its a PAIN to get off of them.
However, the trade off is rain is your enemy!

But for under 1k, I recommend you check out Wilderness Systems line up. They offer the best bang for the buck imo...Most 12' models are under 1k...I'll echo Boogie on at least a 12' kayak...This will cover almost all rivers,small lakes and large lake arms...I paddle the WS Ride115 (11'5'') And after testing other $1200 kayaks it just made me love mine even more!
But that's because its comfortable to me,and I wanted a stand and fish kayak...

Make sure you leave enough room in the budget for a paddle,carrying system,PFD, whistle or whatever else you state requires for the water.
Good luck! Its a fun way to catch fish

In some areas around here, it's the ONLY way
Old 01-16-13, 06:07 PM   #20
jamesh99
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
James, how tall are you?
I'm 5'10, to put this into perspective.

The rod holder is positioned a little too far forward, and I actually pinched my psiatic nerve reaching for it one time. Still fished tho

If you buy the ascend, I would highly recommend replacing the junk Scotty rod holder with the Cabela's Quickdraw rod holder. It allows you to pull the rod back towards you, while pulling it out
im about 5'2
Old 01-16-13, 06:14 PM   #21
jamesh99
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for the advise guys

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.