Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-05-07, 06:00 PM   #1
bassman89
BassFishin.Com Member

Default weightless or not

where is the best place to use weighted worms? and the same with weightless?
bassman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 06:34 PM   #2
jwallbassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to jwallbassin

I use weighted worms just about every where......use weightless if you want it to sink slower or float.
jwallbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 06:53 PM   #3
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

wieghtless around weeds or in shallow water, and wieghted in deep water to hop off the bottom, matter of personal preference really.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 07:02 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It depends on the bait. I always throw a plastic worm with a weight, but I am usually targeting a specific piece of cover like a flooded tree. Soft plastic stickbaits-Senkos, Tiki Sticks, Yum Dingers, etc.-and baitfish imitators like a Zoom Super fluke are designed to be fished weightless. The slow sink rate and subtle action when falling are what makes these baits so effective.

It also can depend on where you are fishing. For example, if you have a lot of moss, especially that stuff that I've always called snot moss, in the water weightless is about the only way you can fish it. Throw a bait with a sinker on it and you will spend all your time cleaning it off. Weightless will still pick up weeds but not nearly as much as a weighted bait.
Old 05-05-07, 09:54 PM   #5
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Thanks for posting that Reb. When it's illegal to fish for bass in the public lakes, I fish at a private pond, and the bottom has only moss on it. In my fishing log, I always call it Slimy Seaweed. I was wondering what it's called. Moss, right? I actually do fish weighted worms in the moss. I can not fish a jig though.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 10:47 PM   #6
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

it may be that pesky Snot Moss, which can stick to a lure like glue.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-07, 10:39 AM   #7
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Hydrilla...
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 12:15 AM   #8
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

IMO hydrilla isn't that annoying. Fish a weightless stickbait. It pops off the hydrilla and never snags, at least for my. Hydrilla is killa!
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 07:39 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
It depends on the bait. I always throw a plastic worm with a weight, but I am usually targeting a specific piece of cover like a flooded tree. Soft plastic stickbaits-Senkos, Tiki Sticks, Yum Dingers, etc.-and baitfish imitators like a Zoom Super fluke are designed to be fished weightless. The slow sink rate and subtle action when falling are what makes these baits so effective.

It also can depend on where you are fishing. For example, if you have a lot of moss, especially that stuff that I've always called snot moss, in the water weightless is about the only way you can fish it. Throw a bait with a sinker on it and you will spend all your time cleaning it off. Weightless will still pick up weeds but not nearly as much as a weighted bait.

Reb my newest tip for fishing flukes is this type of hook(not this exact one). I prefer the screw in keeper style. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

It allows you to work the fluke's deeper, and the fall is still perfect with the weight being below the bait for a proper fall. I've had a fair amount of success with it the last couple of months. Try it out, and see whaty you think.

Lizards
Old 05-07-07, 10:38 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Reb my newest tip for fishing flukes is this type of hook(not this exact one). I prefer the screw in keeper style. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

It allows you to work the fluke's deeper, and the fall is still perfect with the weight being below the bait for a proper fall. I've had a fair amount of success with it the last couple of months. Try it out, and see whaty you think.

Lizards
Lizards, great minds think alike:
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0030758120195a.shtml

Started using them earlier this year in deeper water .
Old 05-10-07, 03:31 PM   #11
lizardsrule

ROTFL,

Well I have to be honest, I got hooked up on them from some Saltwater stuff. I use them for Shrimp imitations also. They do work great, I still like the ones with the keeper screw in style though. The one's I'm currently using are Diachi's, don't care too much for the actual hooks and their sharpness, they tend to dull quickly.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.