Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-14-08, 01:10 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default 60/40

I didn't "pull the trigger" and purchase a boat last year (the tax man ate my boat fund) so I am thinking that this year I will finally get a new boat (if the tax man doesn't snatch up my savings).

One thing is for sure. I am going to get an aluminum mod v w/ a JET MOTOR. The sales guy at Bass Pro tells me that I should get a 60/40 minimum if I intend to get on plane with three people in the boat.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the 60/40 is not enough or too much? The boat will be roughly 17' and the water that I intend to fish is the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 02:19 PM   #2
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

Default More is better

I and I think most will tell you to get the max hp allowed for the hull you buy. Having been through this myself I can tell you it is cheaper in the long run. Also, you don't have to run wot all the time so you can improve gas yardage and wear and tear on the motor.
foolishone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 02:53 PM   #3
Wishing2BFishing

Foolishone, I appreciate your reply and I agree with you but I gotta' tell ya' these jet motors are expensive $$$. So, I am trying to keep the costs down. I really won't be haulin' on the rivers because they are really tough to navigate. Given this situation, do you think it makes sense to stay a little conservative on the horsepower?
Old 01-14-08, 04:12 PM   #4
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Nope !

Buy less than what the hull is rated for and $20 says you ugrade. The only guy I know that bought less and hasn't maxxed out, NEVER runs wot and wears those little short socks.
Old 01-14-08, 04:25 PM   #5
Wishing2BFishing

"wears those little short socks" . . . are you referring to my Grandpa
Old 01-14-08, 07:29 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i would avoid the tracker they don't take to being thumped into rocks well. g3 or a lowe would be my choice..

zooker
Old 01-15-08, 10:32 AM   #7
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
"wears those little short socks" . . . are you referring to my Grandpa
You don't want that gene in your DNA. The guy would give me shiot if he thought I wasn't dressed well enough to go on the stage for weigh in and them splatter fish attractant all over my boat. Didn't last long as a partner.
Old 01-16-08, 07:43 PM   #8
ub2m4
BassFishin.Com Member

Go to riversmallies.com. Tons of great info on river boats with jets. Go into the archives and all your questions should be answered.
ub2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 10:33 PM   #9
1FASTLASER

Personally if you can afford it go with the sport jet 90. I know this motor and it ia one of the toughest out there. Yes its more expensive intially but you save in the long run. AAs stated you dont have to say in the throttle which brings me to my next statemwent. When navigating the rivers if you dont have enough hp or throttle your gonna be in trouble trying to navigate. The bigger 90 sort jet has enough push to negotiate turns safely. The smaller motors dont have enough throttle to spin the *** of the boat around wgen needed. If you can afford it buy the bigger one you wont be sorry. I GURANTEE this.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.