Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-22-14, 09:13 AM   #1
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Hey Ishmael...(Tavery5)

Bringing over a question from the old Abu discussion on that other "bigger" board... I've got an Abu 4601 that I've modded some but don't have it as "controllable" as I'd like. I've got bearings on both sides of the level wind and a bearing supported cog gear. I'm not comfortable sanding/polishing parts (spool shafts, inside pinion gears, ect.). This has been a sentimental favorite reel but I only use it off and on because of my inability to control it consistently. It's about 20 years old and only been serviced by myself. Are you up for a winter project?... if so give me a ball park price.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-14, 08:07 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You pay the shipping both ways and I would be glad to do it for you for nothing. It is a small easy job and takes very little time to perform. I read your post about the reel in another forum, my first thought was that the line you are using is very thin. How much braid are you spooling on and what are you using to back it, assuming you are.

The Ishmael thing is an opening line from a famous book, do you know it?

Last edited by Tavery5; 11-23-14 at 02:13 AM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-14, 10:07 AM   #3
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

No, I don't know the reference from the book... I was only being my usual smart ***. I'll take you up on your "more than generous" offer. I've pretty much always cleaned my own reels, but haven't gone as far as sanding down any parts. I'd accept your experience over mine considering the permanence of this "upgrade".

Over the years I've added bearings to each end of the level wind, replaced the cog gear with a single bearing supported version and upgraded the two spool bearings. I'm not sure if I currently have the upgraded spool bearings installed or not? I've played with various light oils (yellow rocket fuel, TSI 321, Rem Oil) and very heavy oils ( 90wt lower unit motor oil). I've also under filled the spool to different degrees always with 20lb braid. It pitches wonderfully, but casts med. light (1/4 oz) spinnerbaits erratically. After studying several articles on the subject, I thought maybe tuning the reel would allow me to dial it in a little more finely and consistently. As you've read, I might try 30lb braid next season as well... this is a "shot in the dark".

PM me the address I can mail it too and I'll send it your way this week. Thanks

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-14, 10:41 AM   #4
bassboogieman

Moby Dick by Herman Melville. Ishmael was the sole survivor of the crew of the Pequod and the narrator of the story of Capt. Ahab and his battle with the white whale. "Call me Ishmael" is the opening line of the book and introduces him as the narrator (in 1st person) of the story. It is a classic. That's my useless bit of trivial information for today. .

Last edited by bassboogieman; 11-23-14 at 11:05 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-14, 01:25 PM   #5
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
No, I don't know the reference from the book... I was only being my usual smart ***. I'll take you up on your "more than generous" offer. I've pretty much always cleaned my own reels, but haven't gone as far as sanding down any parts. I'd accept your experience over mine considering the permanence of this "upgrade".

Over the years I've added bearings to each end of the level wind, replaced the cog gear with a single bearing supported version and upgraded the two spool bearings. I'm not sure if I currently have the upgraded spool bearings installed or not? I've played with various light oils (yellow rocket fuel, TSI 321, Rem Oil) and very heavy oils ( 90wt lower unit motor oil). I've also under filled the spool to different degrees always with 20lb braid. It pitches wonderfully, but casts med. light (1/4 oz) spinnerbaits erratically. After studying several articles on the subject, I thought maybe tuning the reel would allow me to dial it in a little more finely and consistently. As you've read, I might try 30lb braid next season as well... this is a "shot in the dark".

oe
PM sent..........
Old 11-23-14, 01:53 PM   #6
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Moby Dick by Herman Melville. Ishmael was the sole survivor of the crew of the Pequod and the narrator of the story of Capt. Ahab and his battle with the white whale. "Call me Ishmael" is the opening line of the book and introduces him as the narrator (in 1st person) of the story. It is a classic. That's my useless bit of trivial information for today. .
You got it, kind of seemed appropriate for a fishing site, seems we all chase our own white whale once in a while.
Old 11-23-14, 02:02 PM   #7
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post

oe
OE, I know this reel has some meaning to you so I want to share a little about how these parts are polished. I use very, very fine grit sand paper, it is just a little more coarse than a dollar bill. The object is to remove almost no material at all while still polishing the surfaces to a mirror like finish. I use a jewelers monocle to inspect the work and make sure that any irregular surface area is polished very smooth.

The spool tip ends are usually the biggest culprits, and require the most work, it just depends how sharp the tool was when they made the original cuts and how fast it was being operated.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.