Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-19-09, 09:34 PM   #1
ky southern

Default shad raps

gonna fish some shad raps for first time sat and was wondering if you guys throw em with your baitcasters or on spinning tackle.i bought 4 today and they are the 07 model,5/16 ounce i believe.some of my buddies are throwin em right now but they say to use spinning reels because the shad raps are so light,but they dont seen any lighter than the bandits 200.any you guys throwing shad raps?
Old 03-19-09, 09:48 PM   #2
Kevin
Administrator

I've been fishing a Shad Rap quite a bit this time of year. They come in a couple sizes, but all are very light. They are right on the teetering edge between a baitcaster and a spinning reel, however, I tend to use a baitcaster. I throw it on a Daiwa TD-Zillion 4.9 Crazy Cranker with a pretty loose brake and a "8" magnetic control. The rod is probably what allows me to throw the bait good (7' AiRRus Copperhead Cranking Stix).

You'll need to use 6-8lb fluoro to get it out there. So I'd suggest a baitcaster if you feel comfortable being "careful" with your casts. It's tough but worth the extra care during casts. If there is one thing I don't favor, it's throwing crankbaits on spinning gear.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 09:52 PM   #3
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree with Kevin with regard to throwing them on a bait caster, at least for the 7 series, the #5 series usually gets relegated to the spinning rig. I love throwing them when the water is between 45 and 55 degrees. They have a great action when retrieved slowly.
Old 03-19-09, 10:01 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

listen to kevin pal. he won't steer ya wrong. although if i use anything lighter than 1/4 oz.....hahha, i use a spinning reel. but it CAN be done with a baitcaster. pratice,practice,etc.....
Old 03-19-09, 10:04 PM   #5
ky southern

thanks fellows,i got a tip that the shad raps are hot at our lake right now.fished every crank bait i had tues with no bites,i did catch a 3 pounder on a thunderstruck jig.im gonna give the shad raps a whirl this weekend.
Old 03-19-09, 11:32 PM   #6
Kevin
Administrator

The Shad Rap is a fantastic cold water lure. One thing that will increase your bites is a steady retrieve. Save your "stop and go" for warmer waters. That's why I throw them on the Daiwa 4.9... I like to just crawl this thing over drops and breaks. This is the one time of year you don't need to be digging bottom either, the fish will swim upwards to hit it in the water column. If you have a little wind or breeze, throw them with the wind for some extra distance.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 02:22 AM   #7
S4il
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I remember my first time using a shad rap, was fishing next to 2 buddies who were using Minnows, It was in the fall, Cold snap had just moved threw the area, and at a local golf course pond, known for large crappies, and bass..They had they usually Slip bobbers with the live minnow set-up going on, and they were Killing crappies with it.

But, .......Me being me, i NEVER use live bait, cause i feel as though its "cheap" but not in a bad way, just,....you know.... catching em on lures is just better, can't say enough about it when you out fish 2 of your buddies with 2.5+lb bass almost every 3 cast off the shore, and watching the bass run right into the Lines of there slip bobbers while fighting the fish, "GET OUT OF MY AREA!" they yelled as i pulled in fish after fish, they finally had enough, packed up there things, and we went down the the local walmart so they could purchase a shad rap. (my friend used his Credit card and bought out their Inventory, LOL)

Got back to the lake and 3 other people had taken our spot, (they saw us catching the fish from the other side) So, we simply moved a few feet down from our "Old" spot and started hammering the bass again, we had TRIPLES atleast 3 times, all 3 of us fighting a bass, and i dont know how many doubles, The guys i was fishing with never used anything Other than live bait, Until that day, they started listening to me, and watching what i was doing, Now we all fish lures.

I'll never forget that day, Nor will my buddies, we could of outfished anyone, with anything that day, Shad raps were the ticket.
Old 03-20-09, 09:13 AM   #8
Bassboss

They're pretty light! I can cast them on bait caster with 30lb braid, super thin diameter with a Johnny Morris sig series! Cast light lures great! I will cast the on spinning rod a too though!

But other than that I love them! Used to catch nice bass on them frequently! 3-4lbs! Use them like any other crank!
Old 03-20-09, 06:33 PM   #9
zooker

i use the jointed ones alot more than the regular jobs i loath the "glass" raps.. give me the hard wood beast any day..

the #5 is the only size i throw..

zooker
Old 03-20-09, 08:18 PM   #10
Marty

I use spinning only, so I don't have to make a decision what to throw them on. Shad Raps are my favorite crankbaits. Rapala has tried to capitalize on the Shad Rap brand and has put out numerous lures with that name in them. But I'm referring to the original, rattleless, balsa baits that are, as has been mentioned, pretty light in weight.

Quote:
The Shad Rap is a fantastic cold water lure.
Let's add warm water to that statement. As far as I'm concerned, these are terrific from spring through fall.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 03:01 AM   #11
CCbass

I only fish cranks with the wind, so wieght becomes not a factor either bait or spinner. Why have to choose, when going into the wind limits what makes any choice available a choice, when the other takes it all away and allows you to fish what you want.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 08:21 AM   #12
zooker

oh yeah the wind does make throwing a #5 on a casting rod a pain.. how ever i don't throw a shad rap very often only in the pre spawn.. i definatly prefure the dt6 over a shad rap.. lets face it the dt6 is one of the best throwin crankbaits made.. in the winter cold water a speed trap,a jlv bait,or a lucky craft fat dr get the nod..

the most important thing to do to a shad rap is CHANGE THE HOOKS...

zooker
Old 03-21-09, 11:50 PM   #13
hookset on 3

Default Rapala Sale

Hey Zook, I went to Dick's today for the fishing sale. All Rapalas 20% off. The DT6's were $5.99. I spent $80 on all kings of shad raps,xraps DT's. You know the monkey had me in a choke hold.
See ya, Hookset

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
oh yeah the wind does make throwing a #5 on a casting rod a pain.. how ever i don't throw a shad rap very often only in the pre spawn.. i definatly prefure the dt6 over a shad rap.. lets face it the dt6 is one of the best throwin crankbaits made.. in the winter cold water a speed trap,a jlv bait,or a lucky craft fat dr get the nod..

the most important thing to do to a shad rap is CHANGE THE HOOKS...

zooker
hookset on 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 08:12 AM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If I can throw it on a baitcaster, I will. Once crank I've found that casts really good like Zook said are the DT's. The Spro Little John cranks cast great too.

BB
Old 03-22-09, 10:44 AM   #15
aikenyounggun

yeah all the stuff sounded right... heavier throw it on baitcaster... lighter on spinin.....

sounded like the bait monkey got one of us pretty good
Old 03-23-09, 11:45 AM   #16
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sorry Kevin, but I prefer to throw them with a M 6'6" spinning reel spooled with 10 lb Sufix Braid and a 4 ft #8 mono leader.
Old 03-25-09, 03:44 PM   #17
zaraflux
BassFishin.Com Member

Never threw light cranks until I bought a Daiwa Pixy,throw them all the time now especially post-spawn
zaraflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 07:30 PM   #18
swimbaitkid

They are hard to cast on baitcaster, and I have fished them alot, because everybody in the south uses them and says they catch fish on them but I have fished it for 2 full days and have never caught a fish on it, I tried the natural shad and another craw color, but the Rapala lipless cranks are awesome
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 08:01 PM   #19
abu4600

I prefer to throw them on casting rods with 10 or 12# test mono. Just adjust the brakes on your reel and you should do allright.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.