Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-09, 05:55 PM   #1
OrygunBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Right handed, Right or left retrieve!

OK, I will start it.

I listened to Kevins radio show and he was "Very" adament about this topic. Even though I respect Kevin in every way I'm not sure I can be convinced by his logic. I would have to see how he holds his rod.

Just to get my thoughts out of the way, here is my take.

I cast with my right hand and reel with my right, I change hands even before the lure hits the water in most cases. I have no problems setting the hook.

If you cast with your right hand and reel with your left, you will, (Unlike a spinning reel) have to reposition your right hand before you start reeling to have your hand in the right place on the rod. It will make the rod and reel out of balance if you do not as you should "Palm" the reel for comfort and balance. It is completly IMHO wrong to hold the rod by the rod handle while reeling. Your hand and wrist is going to get really tired by the end of the day. So, what difference is it going to make wheather you switch hands or reposition your casting hand. I tried to do it the other way and bought a left hand retrieve reel but I just thought it was even harder and more clumbsy than changing hands.

OK, let it all begin!
Old 03-20-09, 06:22 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Righthanded. Cast with right, reel with left. No re-positioning required for me
Old 03-20-09, 06:37 PM   #3
zooker

ahhh but grass hopper i will show you how to hold it... been there done this thread a couple times..

this is your grip on a right handed reel..

this is your grip on a left handed reel..

any questions..

zooker
Old 03-20-09, 06:49 PM   #4
WTL

I cast just fine lefty while palming the reel. There is no adjustment between casting and retrieving. See Zook's first pic? I cast any lure that is no very heavy with my hand like that, thumb comes straight down to stop the spool.
Old 03-20-09, 07:05 PM   #5
OrygunBasser

To me, it's a balance thing, with a spinning reel you have the mounting between your fingers and the rod is balanced pretty much, with the reel palmed like your first picture the rod and reel are balanced, the picture on the bottom, the rod and reel is not balanced, way more weight forward. I do not figure I am going to change anyones mind, just show where I think that it is wrong IMHO!
Old 03-20-09, 07:32 PM   #6
bamabassman

well i cast with my left and reel with my right. AND i am left handed. but i hold the rod they way zook has it in the 2nd pic. then i move my hand up like the first pic depending on what lure i am using.

and orygun, i understand what you are saying, really do. after a while the casting arm does get tired from holding and casting this way. and by holding the reel like the second pic is done to feel the line in 99.99999% of the cases. notice the finger under the line? that is to feel even the slightest movement on the bait oyu are using. that is why most every pro you see on tv is holding it this way. i do this mostly when i am using a worm or other soft bait.

but it great the way you are wanting to do it too. i say use it the way YOU feel most comfortable.
Old 03-20-09, 07:47 PM   #7
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I cast and reel with my right hand and I'm a lefty figure that one . Most the time i use a two handed grip on the rod my right hand is putting the power behind the cast the but is always in contact with the reel .

Jim
Old 03-20-09, 07:53 PM   #8
bamabassman

well jim i KNEW there was something i really liked about you. LEFTIES RULE!
Old 03-20-09, 07:54 PM   #9
JB

the way zooker show is the way I always have held my baitcasters.
I am left handed and throw left, wind right, and fished for years before I noticed that right handed guys switch hands while the lures in the air.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 07:56 PM   #10
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well jim i KNEW there was something i really liked about you. LEFTIES RULE!
Amen but the only thing i do lefty is write , everything else i do right handed .

jim
Old 03-20-09, 07:58 PM   #11
bamabassman

hahaha, jim i have a friend from high school who is the same way. ya still a lfety, and now we know that jb is too. and he casts the same as me, great. and i noticed that too jb. some of them righties have a hard time doing it too.
Old 03-20-09, 08:55 PM   #12
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i cant cast with my left hand.. i cast with my right and reel with my right so i have to switch..

i'll buy a designated "righty" reeel one day.. cast right,reel left
Old 03-20-09, 09:10 PM   #13
Basscrazie

I am gonna try this with flipping with the left handed reel.I always use my right for both but i like the lh for flipping and pitching.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 09:15 PM   #14
Bassin21
BassFishin.Com Member

I think bamabassman said it best, "use what's comfortable to You". My first baitcaster came from BPS. I picked a right hand retrieve off the rack and then picked up a left hand retrieve. The left hand retrieve felt better to me, so that's what I got. As far as balance and arm fatigue, I've never had a problem holding it like Zooker's second picture.
Bassin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 10:15 PM   #15
Love of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrygunBasser View Post
OK, I will start it.

I listened to Kevins radio show and he was "Very" adament about this topic. Even though I respect Kevin in every way I'm not sure I can be convinced by his logic. I would have to see how he holds his rod.

Just to get my thoughts out of the way, here is my take.

I cast with my right hand and reel with my right, I change hands even before the lure hits the water in most cases. I have no problems setting the hook.

If you cast with your right hand and reel with your left, you will, (Unlike a spinning reel) have to reposition your right hand before you start reeling to have your hand in the right place on the rod. It will make the rod and reel out of balance if you do not as you should "Palm" the reel for comfort and balance. It is completly IMHO wrong to hold the rod by the rod handle while reeling. Your hand and wrist is going to get really tired by the end of the day. So, what difference is it going to make wheather you switch hands or reposition your casting hand. I tried to do it the other way and bought a left hand retrieve reel but I just thought it was even harder and more clumbsy than changing hands.

OK, let it all begin!

I'm right handed and reel with the left. I also am very good at casting while palming the reel. Its alot easier on my wrist and it only took 1 trip to get used to.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 10:56 PM   #16
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
i'll buy a designated "righty" reeel one day.. cast right,reel left
That's what I did also, but I just couldn't make it work! I think it was the "Old dog new trick" thing!!

It's true though that at least 80% of the pro's you see cast with the right and reel with the right most always! How do you hold a finger on the line if you don't palm the reel?????
Old 03-20-09, 11:20 PM   #17
Bassin21
BassFishin.Com Member

Your right Orygun about the "old dog new trick" bit. I personally would hate to think I had to switch to a right hand retrieve.
Bassin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 01:25 AM   #18
islandbass

Orygun,

I think you posed a very interesting question. Sometimes I palm the reel, sometimes I don't. I cast right and retrieve left as my preferred choice, but have taught myself to fish both ways.

I prefer the my right hand to hold the rod because it is my dominant hand and I seem to have greater control. However as I mentioned, I will not hesitate to fish the other way if I have to.

Me thinks I know you by another name in a local forum (BF). Welcome here!

Zook,

Your lefty picture actually how I normally hold my bc rigs! I will palm on occassion, but like it as you illustrated.
Old 03-21-09, 02:34 AM   #19
CCbass

I think this is a how you learned issue, I would never fish a spinning rod in my left hand. I will always fish a baitcaster in my left hand, I am right handed for the most part, reeling with my right, I can cast with either hand. I think it has to do with the reeling aspect, one is even the other is odd. baitcasters have two handles, spinning reels have one. Not sure why this changes our thoughts, but I feel more confident doing one one way and the other the other.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 08:14 AM   #20
zooker

when i took them pics i was just holding the rod as i use it.. with the lefty reel i normally pitch of flip the bait..only on one rod do i palm the lefty reel..

i palm the reel 90% of the time i use a righty reel..

btw i wright either handed..

zooker
Old 03-21-09, 08:39 AM   #21
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
ahhh but grass hopper i will show you how to hold it... been there done this thread a couple times..

this is your grip on a right handed reel..

this is your grip on a left handed reel..

any questions..

zooker
I agree with zooker 100%! I use left hand I should add. Any ways, I used to palm the reel with my right hand, and this felt awkward, and would cramp my hand after a few hours. So I tried it how zook is doing it in the pic ^^. The only difference is that I jut two fingers above the trigger rather than one. Works great! I can fish a whole day with no hand cramps!
Old 03-21-09, 10:48 AM   #22
3dkicker

If you are making a long cast and can switch hands before the lure hits the water then you can reel with left or right. But one point Kevin did make and I will expand on is that if you use your non-dominant side then you will have a slower and weaker hook set. Is that important to you? For some it won't matter but for tournament guys it does. It would be like shooting a rifle or bow with your non-dominant eye. Yes you can do it and some can do it very well but most peope would be better off if you used the dominant or correct eye.
Me personally I have rods rigged left and right. I've found that I can not set the hook as well with my left hand when flipping jigs or heavy plastics. It is very awkward due to an injury to my left hand. I do very well flipping and pitching and reeling with my left. I also do well with a spinnerbait on very short casts too. I do fish crankbaits with my right hand because it works for me (as I stated above it probably isn't the best way to do it). But it also allows me to rest my right arm and shoulder during the day which gets tired due to another injury (Yes I'm a mess when it comes to old injuries).
Basically it comes down to what you believe works best for you. I've seen guys fishing spinning rods with the reel facing up towards the sky and reeling backwards. Do they catch fish? Yes. Is it the "correct" way to use that rod and reel? No but that's the way they do it.
Old 03-21-09, 10:54 AM   #23
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well i cast with my left and reel with my right. AND i am left handed. but i hold the rod they way zook has it in the 2nd pic. then i move my hand up like the first pic depending on what lure i am using.

and orygun, i understand what you are saying, really do. after a while the casting arm does get tired from holding and casting this way. and by holding the reel like the second pic is done to feel the line in 99.99999% of the cases. notice the finger under the line? that is to feel even the slightest movement on the bait oyu are using. that is why most every pro you see on tv is holding it this way. i do this mostly when i am using a worm or other soft bait.

but it great the way you are wanting to do it too. i say use it the way YOU feel most comfortable.
I'll hold the reel this when I'm fishing soft baits, or when ever I need extra sensitivity! The finger on the line really helps feel the more the softer bites!
Old 03-21-09, 10:58 AM   #24
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Baitcasting rig: Cast left, crank right; No changing hands.
Spin rig; Cast right, crank left; No changing hands.
Fly Rig: Cast left, strip right.
Wimmin: Grab left;Strip with both hands!

That said...About the ONLY plus to changing hands after casting is the little bit of relief from hand and finger "paralysis" and/or pains (See: Wrist also.) that come with constant repetitive movement and the ongoing strain of retrievals...especially of high-resistance lures; Spinnerbaits with very large Colorado blades; Large-billed cranks, etc. That's why I occasionally switch to the "Cast right, crank left" mode (or vice-versa for spinning, even with the fly rig.)
The above brings me to the "Gospel According To Saint Lancer",the gist of which can be summed up by saying "Weight is YOUR enemy!"
Regardless of claims made by hairy-chested, ego-driven, "A real man won't eat Quiche!" types, ALL of us are affected by both the weight and the balance of the tackle we use. I've been repeating that particular mantra for years and some here and in other forums, so well as "students" I've dealt with on an in-person basis, have taken the pledge and continue to do so in growing numbers.
Virtually all of you have heard the voice of Lancer-crying-in-the-wilderness on the topic of weight and, just by happy coincidence (or WAS it coincidence?) the rod and (especially) the reel makers have gotten the message. Heck, even Quantum has joined the journey toward the Nirvana engendered by lighter reels. On the other hand, Shimano shot themselves in the sushi when they dropped the now-iconic green "B" series 'Rados and offered the abominable "D" series in their stead. The higher prices were one thing but the gain of about one whole ounce in the 200-sized reels was absolute insanity. Happily, the lil' 100D, though overpriced, remained relatively svelte at .6 under eight ozzies.
(Take heart and read on. Autographs will be signed at the ice cream social to be held in the *narthex immediately following the lecture.)

Some may recall the dire predictions I made re the "D" series so soon as I read the specs (and the $$$-factor.) Not to boast...but...Ol' Lancerdamus, a distant relative of Nostradamus as it were, was pretty much on the mark on that one. Witness the short life of the "D"s and the advent of the "E"s!
I own three Shimano "Narch50MikeGolfs" (One on loan elsewhere.) and I'd kill, cook (Medium Rare.) and ingest my favorite Fox and/or Hound serverette before I'd give them up. I do have other reels in abundance, some heavier, but none at or over nine ozzies unless you count some spinning reels, but weight is less critical therewith.
Well, you DID ask what time it is. Now you know "The Rest Of The Story" and you're now qualified to build your own chronograph.

Lancer6

*Look it up!
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 10:58 AM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassin21 View Post
I think bamabassman said it best, "use what's comfortable to You". My first baitcaster came from BPS. I picked a right hand retrieve off the rack and then picked up a left hand retrieve. The left hand retrieve felt better to me, so that's what I got. As far as balance and arm fatigue, I've never had a problem holding it like Zooker's second picture.
Ya, it really don't mater what one person thinks.... Just use what is comfortable to you!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.