Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-21-09, 10:59 AM   #26
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrygunBasser View Post
That's what I did also, but I just couldn't make it work! I think it was the "Old dog new trick" thing!!

It's true though that at least 80% of the pro's you see cast with the right and reel with the right most always! How do you hold a finger on the line if you don't palm the reel?????
Simple... you don't!
Old 03-21-09, 07:46 PM   #27
OrygunBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Orygun,

Me thinks I know you by another name in a local forum (BF). Welcome here!

Yep, that be me!!!! BassinFever!!!
Old 03-21-09, 08:12 PM   #28
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm 100% left handed, so I do just about everything as a lefty. I cast both spinning and Baitcasters with my left hand, but with the baitcasters I do use a 2 handed grip. For one, it helps me aim and point the tip of the rod to my target, once I engage the reel, I then palm the reel in my left hand and crank with my right hand. With a spinning setup, I just cast with my left hand as I'm generally not going for max distance. I'm already holding the reel in my left hand. I switch all the handles to the right side so I can crank right handed.

At this point it so automatic, I don't even think about any of this.
Old 03-21-09, 08:28 PM   #29
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah i always wanted to try a left handed crank baitcaster but ill only have thrown rights for my whole life..... i throw with my right but i dont want to switch hands....i dont think it will have much issues gettin used to it b/c my spinnin are left crank

on the switchin hand things.... yeah i do it in the air unless im fishin finesse stuff when it dont matter untill it hits the bottom.... but when crankin i switch in the air.... its easy
Old 03-22-09, 08:10 AM   #30
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I cast w/ my right hand. I reel with my left. I do this for both baitcasters and spinning reels so I never have to switch hands. I can, very horribly mind you, cast with my left hand. I can also reel with my right if I have to, but I prefer not to.

BB
Old 03-22-09, 02:03 PM   #31
rrw4258

Well, i thought i would weigh in on this topic as well. I am left handed. I eat, write, throw with my left hand, BUT... i bat (baseball) right handed, use right handed golf clubs, and shoot basketball right handed. As for my fishing goes... I cast a baitcaster different than anybody i have ever seen. I use right hand retreive reel, but when i cast i put my right hand on the cork above the reel and my left hand palming the reel, and on the bottom cork. When i pitch and flip I hold the rod and palm the reel with my left hand and flip with my left hand. I do not have to switch hands when i cast, and i dont know why i cast this way but that is how i taught myself, and thats what i still do., and have no problems casting farther than anybody else. Anybody else do this?

Ryan
Old 03-24-09, 04:41 PM   #32
jcw1503

well..I do both...I have some BC that i throw right and reel right and some i throw right and reel left...I do this for one reason...money...If i find a great deal for either one i can use it with no problem..when i first started reeling with my left it was weird but over time it got better...
Old 03-24-09, 07:31 PM   #33
abu4600

I cast a baitcaster with my right hand and reel right handed, spinning i cast right hand and reel left handed. I tried casting left handed and I just cant do it.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 07:37 PM   #34
Jackl

ORYGUN,
I palm my "lefty" reel with my right hand exactly the same way ZOOKER does with his left hand on his "righty" reel, with the trigger between my pinky and my ring finger. Once I pick up a reel, my grip never changes, whether I am casting or reeling.
If you have a balance problem, you need to buy lighter rods, or add a slip-on "balancer" with the changable weights on the rear of the handle. I use these "balancers" on some of my longer rods, like C-rig or flippin' sticks, and I can fish them all day without any fatigue.
Some reels do not feel as natural to me with this type of grip, but since I have converted all my rods to Pflueger Supreme reels, they all have a natural feel.
I have been fishing "lefty" reels since 1970, maybe this is why it just feels so natural to me.

JackL
Old 03-24-09, 07:42 PM   #35
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Well, i thought i would weigh in on this topic as well. I am left handed. I eat, write, throw with my left hand, BUT... i bat (baseball) right handed, use right handed golf clubs, and shoot basketball right handed. As for my fishing goes... I cast a baitcaster different than anybody i have ever seen. I use right hand retreive reel, but when i cast i put my right hand on the cork above the reel and my left hand palming the reel, and on the bottom cork. When i pitch and flip I hold the rod and palm the reel with my left hand and flip with my left hand. I do not have to switch hands when i cast, and i dont know why i cast this way but that is how i taught myself, and thats what i still do., and have no problems casting farther than anybody else. Anybody else do this?

Ryan
Ryan that about sums up how i cast as well .

Jim
Old 03-24-09, 07:54 PM   #36
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackl View Post
If you have a balance problem,
I do not have a "Balance problem" as I palm my reels but after changing hands. How do you cast while palming the reel?
Old 03-25-09, 04:38 PM   #37
Jackl

ORYGUN,
In order to cast while palming, you have to have a "Lefty" if you are casting with your right hand. Palm the reel, bring your thumb down to release the spool, then rest your thumb on your spool and cast, releasing the spool slightly to prevent backlashes and to "feather" the bait into a soft landing. It takes some practice, but like I said, I have been casting this way for almost 40 years. It just feels natural, and I can probably make 20% more casts in a day than someone who changes the rod back and forth. 20% more casts in a day will result in a larger number of hook-ups.
By cranking left handed, the rod is in your right hand, which has more strength and quicker reflexes to set the hook. I never set the hook two handed, just snap the rod back hard with my right hand while I continue to reel with my left. Most of my hooksets result in the hook completely penetrating the roof of the fish's mouth and the barb exiting between the fish's eyes. Very, very few lost fish.

JackL
Old 03-25-09, 09:46 PM   #38
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackl View Post
ORYGUN,
I can probably make 20% more casts in a day than someone who changes the rod back and forth. 20% more casts in a day will result in a larger number of hook-ups.
JackL

OK, I have the say to this, BS !!!!

I can absolutly cast just as fast as you can as my rod is in the other hand before the lure hits the water most times.

No need to get into a pi**in match over this but I can cast just as accurate, just as fast and have just as good of a hookset as you!

You believe what you want to though!
Old 03-26-09, 10:06 AM   #39
MarcBorger
BassFishin.Com Member

I cast right and reel left. When I bought my first baitcaster it had a right-handed retrieve and I just could not get used to it. I was a right-handed pitcher in high school and I currently play in a dodgeball league where I throw right, my right arm is significantly stronger than my left. I like to hold the rod and set the hook with my dominant arm. There haven't been any bass that are too strong for my left hand to wind them in, especially with my right arm controlling them with the rod.
MarcBorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 03:37 PM   #40
jig fisherman

I've wanted to try a teft handed reel for a little while now but there are no left handed baitcasters at my house for me to feel in my hand. I would love to get one but I don't know if I would like the reel, and I definately don't want to waste $180 on one reel that I will hate.
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 03:50 PM   #41
jcw1503

you should of caught that sale a BPS....the Quantum Accurist...its was a 129.00 for 49.99....
Old 03-26-09, 04:05 PM   #42
3dkicker

Took these the other day on the water when I wasn't catching fish.

If I didn't have the watch on you probably couldn't tell which was left or right if I reversed the negative of either pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	090322_165637.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	3341   Click image for larger version

Name:	090322_165543.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	3342  
Old 03-26-09, 05:03 PM   #43
OrygunBasser

But I don't see how you could posably cast holding the reel like that? Pitch, maybe, cast ??????????????????????????????????
Old 03-26-09, 05:16 PM   #44
bamabassman

i can tell 3d, cuz you have more of them hairs on yer left thumb. hahahahaha, kidding of course. like i said way back on this thread.....it ain't a big ol deal gang. use what is the most comfortable to YOU. if ya want to learn to use either hand to cast to offset fatigue, do it. i have tried and failed,lmao.
Old 03-26-09, 05:22 PM   #45
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrygunBasser View Post
But I don't see how you could posably cast holding the reel like that? Pitch, maybe, cast ??????????????????????????????????
Cast no, pitch and flip yes. Which I do with jigs, plastics, and spinnerbaits. Which is why I have those baits set up to fish with left handed reels. With the other baits I cast and switch hands while the bait is in the air and reel right handed.

Bama - if you were really good you'd be able to tell me what reels, rods, and what brand and test line I was using .
Old 03-26-09, 07:20 PM   #46
bamabassman

3d....i ain't one to give out anothers secrets ya know. hahahahahaha. i CAN guess at the test line on the reel on the left, maybe 12# green trylene? on the right....uuummm 14# clear? i really don't know pal. just messing with cha, hahahahahaha.
Old 03-26-09, 08:33 PM   #47
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I palm the reel while retrieving, but move my hand farther for for casting. most of the time I don't eve pay attention to it. It's kind of just instinct.

BB
Old 03-26-09, 08:56 PM   #48
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

haha i dont palm the reel but being automatic.. i normally automaticly set the brakes and stuff by feel and keep on talkin, looking, scaning the water and whatnot..

and on spinning reels.. haha i can probally cast two at once..
Old 03-26-09, 09:10 PM   #49
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
3d....i ain't one to give out anothers secrets ya know. hahahahahaha. i CAN guess at the test line on the reel on the left, maybe 12# green trylene? on the right....uuummm 14# clear? i really don't know pal. just messing with cha, hahahahahaha.
WRONG!!!! But thanks for playing. Make sure you get you a door prize on the way out.

Left - 15lb Izorline Platinum
Right - 20lb Trilene XL
Old 03-26-09, 09:14 PM   #50
bamabassman

oh well, i tried. hahahahahahahaha. door prize? hahahahhaha.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.