Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-20-09, 10:53 PM   #1
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Wire Diameter help needed

Wire Diameter help needed

I need to match the Diameter of inline spinners.
EastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 01:15 AM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

East,

Are you trying to make inline spinners? The reason I ask is because the link you posted is for steel leader wire. This is not ideal for making a typical inline spinner with a rigid wire body. Typically, the wire diameter for inline spinners varies by maker's choice, which is usually driven by intended species.

Now if your talking inlines made by line, I have never made those, like the kind made from mono for trolling.

For example:

0.018 - 0.025" diameter is fine for trout, bass, and pan fish.

0.031 - .042" diameter is good for larger bass, trout, steelhead, and salmon. Also, to give you a reference, a spinnerbait wire diameter is going to be from 0.031" and up.

.052" + You're talking muskie class and greater.

These are just guidelines. Nothing is set in stone.
Old 03-21-09, 12:49 PM   #3
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the help: I traget bass & pan fish
No trout, steelhead, salmon, muskie - it's just too hot for them in East Texas 8(
How ever do have Texas Size Alligator Gar!!!

More info on Gar Fishing w/Video.

Danger to Humans: Due to its large size and sharp teeth, the alligator gar is capable of delivering a serious bite wound to fisherman or swimmers. However, there is no documentation of attacks on man by alligator gars. The eggs are poisonous, causing illness if consumed by humans.

Last edited by EastTexas; 03-21-09 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-21-09, 06:12 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

a fresh question...how refreshing... wire size has a direct effect on spinnerbaits. some companys use a tapered wire. i refuse to use a spinnerbait with a wire thicker than .43... i prefure for bass to use the thinnest wire i can get away with .31-.32.... when in the intercoastal where giant red fish swim i use a .36-.38 wired bait.. belive me the ONLY real diferance is in the type of wire. titanium springs back but will break real easy.. i like a stainless wire and let them make a paper clip out of it..

btw when fishing for redfish and such i use a blade with a hay wire twist..for bass i use a r bend...

zooker
Old 03-21-09, 08:35 PM   #5
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

hey east texas what lakes you fish out there.... my dad used to fish out there and i went there for spring break and we killed em on a bunch of lakes.... my dad loves it out there..... he used to fish the red mans out there (red mans= old federation nation)
Old 03-22-09, 05:23 PM   #6
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member

I only fish Lake Devernia ;}

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.