Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-23-06, 10:01 AM   #1
m cress
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Clarification and apology

To the moderators that locked the thread, JNP, Zooker, and anyone else that was offended by my post and had to bear witness to the argument that ensued...I apologize. Do I respect the quasi "seniority" that exists on message boards? Yes and no. I was a police officer for twelve years in our nations capitol, so yes I understand and give seniority it's due respect. Do I believe that A member of a message boards opinion is somehow not justified until they reach a certain number of posts? Of course not.
To those that responded and thought that I was somehow causing trouble.. I ask that you re-read the entire thread. You say that I should be more helpful, and not stir up trouble. If that is the case, then Zooker should not have responded to my post with "use it as a weight, don't waste your money" Zooker should have assumed by my number of posts that I was an inexperienced newbie and explained to me in detail the pitfalls of the particular reel. That would have been the correct response for following the standards that you have set for me. As far as the reel in question is concerned, there seems to be an assumption that I was asking for advice on which reel to purchase or I was in the market for a reel. This is not the case and can be easily understood by reading the thread. To those that use phrases such as "you haven't been attacked yet" "you'll know when you are under attack". I think that you need to realize that this is a website. Everyone types away under the comfort of anonymity, and I think end up truly believing that they somehow wield some sort of power over others and can actually hurt them from within a high speed internet signal. This is a website and should not be used as a boys treehouse club. Remember this is a PUBLIC site. If I had gone through an interview and application process to become a member here, my behaviour would certainly be different. JNP and Zooker do not own this site regardless of their super veteran status. For those that are scared of being flamed from a couple of guys behind a keyboard I suggest you rethink your self esteem.
I will take your advice BASSBOSS and go back to lurking this site and hope that the veteran members do indeed offer some useful tips and advice and I will take them with gratitude.
Mike
m cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 10:17 AM   #2
m cress

And to remember what we are all here for..I caught this decent two pounder from a pond this morning using a toilet paper tube, kite string, and a 1996 Storm chug bug. So I guess reels don't really matter. Click image for larger version

Name:	oh yeah-1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	486
Old 06-23-06, 10:22 AM   #3
Tnbasser
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

And I should not have made the remark about your opinion not counting unless you hit a certain number of posts.Of course your opinion matters to most of us.Just letting you know, you kinda have to earn your stripes on this site.
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 10:27 AM   #4
Tnbasser

Default oh...

you got a message
Old 06-23-06, 10:35 AM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Public posting is growing ever-popular. One thing I've noticed, is that if you use it for business purposes and you accidentally blurt the wrong thing, it can get ugly pretty quick. A remark that was never intended to be malevolent turns out to offend somebody, and next thing you know, you're engaged in yet another public forum ping pong match. This can be downright exhausting. So is there a 'proper' way to conduct oneself on the bass fishin forums........ From what I've seen so far, I have to say yes.
There you are, sprinkling comments here and there and having a fine old time, when suddenly up pops someone who begs to differ. A good debate can be envigorating, but if things escalate, you may begin to feel attacked and/or misunderstood. Do you have a right to feel this way? Who is attacking who anyway?
Internet conversations feel remote because they are. You can't diffuse a tense conversation by cracking a joke or meeting someone's eyes with a silent apology. Internet 'arguments' can string along for days because, unlike a verbal argument which quickly fades from your memory, they're harsh words frozen in time. Someone who is ripping you a new one on the public forum may actually be a wonderful person who thinks a lot like you, but you wouldn't know because all you see are those hostile words on the screen that won't go away!
For this reason, it's unbelievably important not to take internet skirmishes to heart. The truth is, you may be taking offense for no good reason. And even if someone really does seem to be out for your blood... who cares? Click away and they're gone. Besides; the world is watching. How much of a scene do you want to make?
Sarcasm really does not translate on the internet. Sarcasm is my favorite form of communication, so believe me I've tried. People can't tell by your tone or gestures if you're serious, kidding, scathing, or what, so if you want to communicate effectively and efficiently, steer clear of sarcasm. I'll give you an example of sarcasm causing confusion on the internet.
Networker 1: Say, Networker 2, how was that teleseminar you attended?
Networker 2: It was really something special.
"It was really something special." Hmmm. What could that mean, exactly? Sounds a little smart-alecky, but who knows! The reader can't be sure, so a straightforward answer might be the better option. "The guy was a good speaker, but I felt like he was telling me things I already knew. I'll have to pick a more advanced course next time." Now, there's a complete answer that's based in fact and well-expressed!
Some people use emoticons to convey when they're being sarcastic, such as the smiley for "just kidding" , the wink which might mean, "I'm just teasing," or the guy-with-his-tongue-out :P-- "I know I'm being goofy." Other people use internet gestures, like the *grin* and the :::shiver:::.
Emoticons are okay for a less formal public forum setting, but not so much for business networking. Use them sparingly. How are you supposed to appear professional if you're throwing (((hugs))) everyone's way? I don't know about you, but I don't go around hugging people I don't know!
All this being said: stick to literal communication whenever possible. I know more than anybody how tough this is. If you're really unsure about it, you can always just be a forum 'lurker' for a while, until you get the hang of how it's done.
People love to argue. Make a statement, and by God, someone out there is going to contradict it. If you enjoy and know how to play the debate game, take them on... it will be a learning experience for all. But if conflict makes your tummy hurt, you can spur on a discussion in a more genteel way; by asking questions!
If you ask people what they think, they'll feel encouraged to jump into the discussion... and that's what you want, isn't it? Ask questions, and let folks know you're open to new points of view. When you word your ideas in the from of questions, you're basically saying "Hey, I know I don't have all the answers. But I'm thinking, and I'd love for you to add your insights." Then, by phrasing your questions in a specific way, you can gently 'lead' the conversation. Next time you have a strong opinion to state, practice rephrasing it into a question. "What ways might we practice common courtesy in an effort to improve internet communication?" There, see how easy that was?
If you haven't noticed, real-time has some wacky effects on internet communication. Sometimes, messages look like they're written in response to something someone else said... when really, they just landed there by sheer coincidence!
Suppose someone posts a remark at 9:05 a.m. Pacific Time, as you just happen to be posting the exact opposite viewpoint at 12:05 p.m. Eastern Time. When the messages "land" one after the other, it creates the illusion that the second person was arguing with the first person, when actually they were not and had no knowledge of the other person's post! Whoa. That's real-time at work, and it's some crazy stuff. The lesson to be learned: don't assume anything, especially on the internet.
The other way that real-time can botch up the works is if you're seeking advice or technical support. You post a question, some time elapses, and the moderator replies. But by now, you've figured out the answer and it's led you to a third complication. Now, you can either try and over-explain the confusion in an effort to be polite, or say to yourself, "the heck with this" and leave the discussion, which could be perceived as rude. It's quite a fretful situation. Keeping this in mind...

thinking before you ask technical questions can save everybody the exhaustion of over-communication. Rather than blurt out your confusion, have a look around, see what's going down. Is there an FAQ section you can refer to?
I have been known to dive right in to the chat without knowing what the heck is happening. As a result, I am familiar with the taste of shoe leather. If you're puzzled about what's going on in a public forum discussion... can you go back and read a few old posts to get caught up? You'll save everyone a lot of wasted words if you just get with the program. I learned the hard way, but you don't have to.
"Think before you speak" also means proofread. Be on the lookout for ambiguous content. If you're tired, stressed or feeling under the weather, you may have some trouble getting your point across. Maybe it's not the best time to communicate.
Use the wrong word, and WOOOPS- somebody is getting the total wrong idea. All you can do is send MORE posts, and give folks the impression that you are a babbling fool! So, for your own sake, heed my words, take your time, think about what you want to say, and PROOFREAD!
Above all, keep a positive attitude and an open mind. Welcome others' opinions while gently expressing your own. Be forgiving and patient with people and their bumbling ways. Be a good internet communicator.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 10:42 AM   #6
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by m cress
To the moderators that locked the thread, JNP, Zooker, and anyone else that was offended by my post and had to bear witness to the argument that ensued...I apologize. Do I respect the quasi "seniority" that exists on message boards? Yes and no. I was a police officer for twelve years in our nations capitol, so yes I understand and give seniority it's due respect. Do I believe that A member of a message boards opinion is somehow not justified until they reach a certain number of posts? Of course not.
To those that responded and thought that I was somehow causing trouble.. I ask that you re-read the entire thread. You say that I should be more helpful, and not stir up trouble. If that is the case, then Zooker should not have responded to my post with "use it as a weight, don't waste your money" Zooker should have assumed by my number of posts that I was an inexperienced newbie and explained to me in detail the pitfalls of the particular reel. That would have been the correct response for following the standards that you have set for me. As far as the reel in question is concerned, there seems to be an assumption that I was asking for advice on which reel to purchase or I was in the market for a reel. This is not the case and can be easily understood by reading the thread. To those that use phrases such as "you haven't been attacked yet" "you'll know when you are under attack". I think that you need to realize that this is a website. Everyone types away under the comfort of anonymity, and I think end up truly believing that they somehow wield some sort of power over others and can actually hurt them from within a high speed internet signal. This is a website and should not be used as a boys treehouse club. Remember this is a PUBLIC site. If I had gone through an interview and application process to become a member here, my behaviour would certainly be different. JNP and Zooker do not own this site regardless of their super veteran status. For those that are scared of being flamed from a couple of guys behind a keyboard I suggest you rethink your self esteem.
I will take your advice BASSBOSS and go back to lurking this site and hope that the veteran members do indeed offer some useful tips and advice and I will take them with gratitude.
Mike
Mike,

Believe me, you did no wrong. We all have strong feelings that we sometimes express in a less-than-subtle manner.
For my part (re: the reel controversy) I made a semi-strong attack on Shimano for what I feel was a case of fixing something that wasn't broken, and overcharging the public to recoup the R&D costs. I also made an assertion, based on most satisfactory experience, that the Daiwa 153HST was a great replacement for the "Mean Green" Curados (RIP). In other words, rather than damning one product and skulking off into the bushes, I offered an alternative.
Some folks here, not to single anyone out, and typically of almost all internet forums (regardless of subject,) seem to be either looking to stir the fire or demonstrate their "superiority". Despite that, we're all part of the whole. Think of these old Army sayings the next time someone rubs you the wrong way...

"Artillery lends dignity to what otherwise would be a vulgar brawl."
http://www.quanloi.org/ABattery15One...%20Picture.htm
"Infantry lends vulgarity to what otherwise would be a stuffy affair."
http://www.ichiban1.org/graphics/week_ago.jpg
And MY personal favorite: "Armor lends nuttin' to nobody. We just run over everything in sight!" (Well, I WAS a tanker.)
http://h-co.freehomepage.com/armor1.jpg

Stick around, participate, and above all, enjoy!

FlyRod
Turret Tenant, Emeritus
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 11:45 AM   #7
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I don't see any need for an apology on your part, but anyone who is willing to offer one shows some good manners in my opinion. I am with JB on this issue as far as how one interprets comments posted on any web site. Although I may not agree with everyone's comments, it's their right to voice their opinion in open forums, how we react or respond is up to us. Myself, if I'm not sure, I give the benefit of the doubt, and if I'm sure what I read is just hogwash, then I use the ole "garbage in - garbage out" approach to the comment/s.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 12:23 PM   #8
zooker

you are right i don't not own this board in fact i am not a moderator contrary to popluar belief..nor am i a super veteran -shuch as jb or pnj-but and elite member. i see a lot of trash post on here and i have to say jb is right for once -i can't belive it either-every one is entitled to there opinion. those that openly express it fine. those that don't fine. 50% of my post are not to be takin seriously any way..

not only have i met up with a few members of this forum. but spend roughly $50 a month-out of MY pocket- talking to members of THIS forum alone on the phone. why? because i can!!!

zooker
Old 06-23-06, 12:27 PM   #9
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker

not only have i met up with a few members of this forum. but spend roughly $50 a month-out of MY pocket- talking to members of THIS forum alone on the phone. why? because i can!!!

zooker
And sent large boxes of fishing supplies

Whats goin on here, I must've missed it?
Old 06-23-06, 01:04 PM   #10
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboss
And I should not have made the remark about your opinion not counting unless you hit a certain number of posts.Of course your opinion matters to most of us.Just letting you know, you kinda have to earn your stripes on this site.
I didn´t know you had to have a certain number of posts to earn any kind of "stripes".
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 01:29 PM   #11
Tnbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
I didn´t know you had to have a certain number of posts to earn any kind of "stripes".
You don't.Thats my point. Thats why I corrected myself...
Oh bother..Nevermind. Just misunderstood what I was trying to say.
Old 06-23-06, 01:36 PM   #12
Kevin
Administrator

First off... I want to let everyone know how proud I am of the people on these forums. Through the years I have gotten to know some of the nicest fisherman in the country, right here.

M Cress... you sound like a great guy and we are pleased to have you as a member of the forums. I don't think there is one fisherman here who would disagree. I decided to close the thread because I felt the topic of the original post had strayed a bit. But I am glad this thread here came about and it speaks volumes for the class and understanding of the members here. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but it is good to see that we all know what this forum is all about, and that's friendship and fishing.

And as for having to "earn your stripes" through your post count... jeeezz... I have a long way to go!
Old 06-23-06, 03:11 PM   #13
Tnbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin

And as for having to "earn your stripes" through your post count... jeeezz... I have a long way to go!
Oh brother.I'm never gonna live that one down, am i?
Old 06-23-06, 03:43 PM   #14
zooker

nope i wont let ya..

thats from the man with ALL the stripes

zooker
Old 06-23-06, 03:57 PM   #15
CreekGeek22

Zook, Are those the black and white kind one gets at the 'big house'??
CreekGeek22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 05:08 PM   #16
m cress

Wow, that worked out well. Thank you everyone for the kind words. And to JNP... I most certainly rescind the "intelligence" comment I made in reference to you. That last post was extraordinary. It just goes to show, when we are all typing away in anonymity you never really know who you are dealing with. This turned out to be the most mature group of forum members I have ever encountered.
P.S. I'm sticking with my Daiwas
Old 06-23-06, 05:27 PM   #17
m cress

I am so impressed I must post again. After thinking about it for a minute or two, all of this sites members should be proud of themselves. I draw my message board experience from a strange place. I was once a moderator for the worlds largest Lowrider site with over 70,000 active members. Yes, I own a 64 impala ss lowrider. Don't make many fishing friends with that thing. Anyway the proliferation of E-THUGS was beyond describable. I wish not to give the lowriding community a bad name, but there were guys posting felony threats on an hourly basis. Members posting pictures of themselves brandishing assault rifles, huge zips of narcotics and suitcases of money on a daily basis. I was a cop at the time and the conflict of interest was just too much. The fights on that site would escalate to IP addresses being published with names and addresses, and members actually responding to other members residences to assault them. CRAAAZY. Thank you for allowing me to feel at home at such a remarkable site. I also need to remember that there are kids lurking and posting.
Mike.
Old 06-23-06, 05:32 PM   #18
JB

bottom line,
I think todays discussion shows how all of us are passioniate about fishing, our gear, and our knowledge.... everyone likes to fish, so theres almost no arguments ever about how often someone can get out compared to others...and the knowledge part, well, we all have learned some new tactics, lures, and presentations from areas across america..
so that leaves the only one thing to converse, and thats brand name preferences....
Todays lesson is a valued one, bass fishing is a huge part of each and every forum member.
Old 06-23-06, 05:49 PM   #19
crankybait

wow thats amazing... like on those movies where there is a crazy fight then the guys make up in this huge mush of emotions... isnt this such a great place? we all ow thanks to kevin for brgining us here
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 06:31 PM   #20
JB

cranky, there's peace in the valley for now, once the scwabbles end, the posting is peacefull

once you're married cranky, you'll think
back on this episode and relate it to
"make-up' sex with the wife after
an argument ....rofl
Old 06-23-06, 08:31 PM   #21
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by m cress
Wow, that worked out well. Thank you everyone for the kind words. And to JNP... I most certainly rescind the "intelligence" comment I made in reference to you. That last post was extraordinary. It just goes to show, when we are all typing away in anonymity you never really know who you are dealing with. This turned out to be the most mature group of forum members I have ever encountered.
P.S. I'm sticking with my Daiwas
MCress,There is no need to apologize.I have got a thick skin.I don't think you could go wrong by buying either brand Daiwa, or Shimano.Its my character role to not like Shimano.A on going joke here at the site.Had it not been closed, You would have had Lizardsrule and his side kick IL. Bassin join your Shimano bandwagon.Please don't feel the need to apologize to me, I shouldn't have been such a jerk about posting on your thread, I am sorry. BTW welcome to the best bass site going.Don't think about leaving, I have yet had a chance to pick your brain on bassin knowledge. I am sincere in my apology, Sorry for the delay, I just got home from work.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 12:10 AM   #22
Phydiox
BassFishin.Com Member

aaaaahhhhh!! cant we all just git along! i,m a bit late but a sweet little girl once said "fightin on line is like racin in the special olympics, even if you win, your still retarded!" this sounded like a weigh in i attended recently ,sevarel of the guys cut there lures off before comming to the scales, so no one would know what there were fishin with.hmmm? whats up wit dat? it was real, it was fun.. but it wernt reel fun so lets all go fishin, okay i've rambled enuff.

jb, i,m dissapointed, wheres your new avitar?
Phydiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 04:39 AM   #23
islandbass

Good show. I think we need a group hug!

Joking aside, that's what it's all about, exchanging ideas about our passion called fishing. In the end, we all improve and learn.

-ib
Old 06-24-06, 11:47 AM   #24
zooker

ib
even i aint going to hug your ugly butt..

phydoix
that is a normal thing they also do it here..

m cess
know the site -thought dat moter looked familar

zooker
Old 06-24-06, 05:30 PM   #25
IL.bassin

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin

Ohhhhh heck no. Don't apologize to these anti Shimano guys. Heck P-N-J said they wont last 5 years and he's selling DIawas on here every week. Don't let him **it you MCress he's keeping the Shimanos for himself. He just spreads propoganda so nobody else gets them.

Lizards where you at????????
IL.bassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.