Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 09-27-12, 09:14 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Search for a new scale.

As most of you regulars know, I lost my Berkley Digital Lip Grip scale recently when a large pike I had caught started lunging back towards the water with his head, taking my scale with him. Now I'm replacing it. Problem is, I am torn between two scales. The one I had, the Berkley Digital Lip Grip and the new Rapala 50 pound Digital Touch Screen scale. Both sell for $49.99. The Berkley scale has received many bad customer reviews regarding it's accuracy and poor quality and failures. I myself had to buy two before I got one that worked. Once I had the second one, it seemed to always work fine. It does have an annoying feature though. You have to push the button for weighing the fish before you land a fish with it if you want the weight to be shown when pulling the fish from the water. If you land the fish without pushing the button first, you have to remove it, and then press the scale button and then put the fish back on. Plus it won't float which if it did, I would still have mine. However, it has recieved good reviews as well, and the lip grip is sure handy! Especially when the bass or pike has a mouth full of trebles.

The Rapala digital Touch Screen scale, has overwhelmingly recieved possitive customer reviews and has a higher rating from both Cabelas and BPS. In fact, it's the only scale which sells for $50.00 and under that has consistently possitive customer feedback with the exception of a couple people. The reviews at the Gander Mountain site were not so possitive. Users of the Rapala Touch Screen scale talk about it being the most accurate scale they have used, and that it is built very well. AND it floats! It also has a few more bells and whistles as you can store the weights of 8 fish, it has an air temp readout, total catch weight, ect. A good tournament scale. But, despite it's possitive points, it is not a lip grip style scale. Thats not nessasarily a deal breaker by any means, but it's something to think about.

So I'm torn between possibly a lesser quality scale that has a lip grip feature, or a better quality scale that does not have the lip grip feature. I did notice on my last Berkley Lip Grip scale, the weight shown would change each time I would weight the fish, and the weight would move around frequently while the fish hung there motionless. So I would have to average the weights to get what I felt was the most accurate.

So what would you do? I know Dean has the same scale I had, so I'm hoping he chimes in here.

Last edited by keithdog; 09-27-12 at 09:33 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 09:45 PM   #2
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I gave my husband the Rapala scale last year for Christmas and he has been extremely pleased with it. His does have a "lip grip" but not sure if it is the same as what you are referring to. It is a clamp type. I don't know if this helps but as I said, he has been extremely pleased with it.
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 10:13 PM   #3
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassin' Gal View Post
I gave my husband the Rapala scale last year for Christmas and he has been extremely pleased with it. His does have a "lip grip" but not sure if it is the same as what you are referring to. It is a clamp type. I don't know if this helps but as I said, he has been extremely pleased with it.
Thats good to know. I think I know which one your refering to. It cost $54.00 or so. I'm thinking accuracy is the most important thing. And the Rapala scale I'm looking at is recommended for ease of use. But the lip grip is pretty easy too. I think this is what your refering to. The thing I don't like about this version is that the grip part does not swivel which can be an issue with larger fish, or so I've read.
Attached Images

Last edited by keithdog; 09-27-12 at 10:28 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 10:30 PM   #4
keithdog

Here are photos of the two scales I'm looking at.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-12, 10:50 PM   #5
mike234

Go with the Rapala. Mine is nearly 2 years old and still weighs accurate and also is still on its first battery.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 10:52 PM   #6
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
Go with the Rapala. Mine is nearly 2 years old and still weighs accurate and also is still on its first battery.
How do you like the clamp Mike? I read that it is made of plastic, but that it is also very sturdy.
Old 09-27-12, 10:55 PM   #7
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It sounds to me like the Berkley scale isn't worth the money. You've listed several negatives from your experience and the fact that you had to get 2 to find one that worked....and even then it didn't. Sometimes you get what you pay for, it's why Boga's cost $130.

I would buy a cheap plastic fish grip and the Rapala scale, or save another week or 2 and get the Boga. That way you get the best of both worlds. I certainly understand the desire for a lip gripper, especially when fishing hard baits with treble hooks. I have a digital Rapala scale with a hook and it works great, I highly recommend their digital scales. I just think it's harder to make a reliable gripper style scale, which is why the cheap ones don't work well.

If you don't want to buy the Boga, maybe try something like this for landing fish and then weigh them after the hooks are safely removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gripper.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	8220  
Old 09-27-12, 11:03 PM   #8
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
It sounds to me like the Berkley scale isn't worth the money. You've listed several negatives from your experience and the fact that you had to get 2 to find one that worked....and even then it didn't. Sometimes you get what you pay for, it's why Boga's cost $130.

I would buy a cheap plastic fish grip and the Rapala scale, or save another week or 2 and get the Boga. That way you get the best of both worlds. I certainly understand the desire for a lip gripper, especially when fishing hard baits with treble hooks. I have a digital Rapala scale with a hook and it works great, I highly recommend their digital scales. I just think it's harder to make a reliable gripper style scale, which is why the cheap ones don't work well.

If you don't want to buy the Boga, maybe try something like this for landing fish and then weigh them after the hooks are safely removed.
I was thinking about that Jrob. A seperate lip grip tool plus a Rapala scale may be the best way to go. I'm not sure if the Bogas have a digital readout version, which I definately want. But regardless, they are out of my price range, as nice as they are.
Old 09-28-12, 12:56 AM   #9
WatterBoy

Keith, like you said, I have the Berkley lip-grip scale also. I have never had any issues with mine and have had it for several years now. I know at least 5 other friends/family who have one also and have had no problems either. My fishing buddy has had his for 10+ years. I've never used anything else, though, so I can't compare the Berkley to them or give any thoughts on the others. I never put my scale over water without having the wrist strap attached and never try to weigh any fish without getting them in the boat or on shore first. When I weigh a fish, I lay it on the floor of the boat, put the gripper part in its mouth, push the on/zero button (not sure that's exactly what it's called, but you get the idea), lift the fish slowly off the ground by using the top part of the scale and wait for it to read HOLD to get the final weight. If the fish flops around while I'm lifting it, I have found that it doesn't always give an accurate weight, so I try it again. Some fish will vary by an ounce or two if I weigh them more than once, but I don't expect it to be "bassmaster classic weigh-in" precise. I have occasionally used my scale to weigh objects that I know the weight of, and it seems to be right on or within an ounce. I really like mine for what I need it to do.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 06:39 AM   #10
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Thats good to know. I think I know which one your refering to. It cost $54.00 or so. I'm thinking accuracy is the most important thing. And the Rapala scale I'm looking at is recommended for ease of use. But the lip grip is pretty easy too. I think this is what your refering to. The thing I don't like about this version is that the grip part does not swivel which can be an issue with larger fish, or so I've read.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAPALA-Lockn...4040%26ps%3D54

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3705850...Types&var=sbar

I have one now, amongst others.
Had one for five years, accurate and no problems before stolen.
Great boat scale, little cumbersome for shore fishing carry along.

I have had a few drop off scale like you mentioned but I may of not had fish secured correctly from the start.
Landed and weighted many without any problem though.
Old 09-28-12, 07:40 AM   #11
Bassin' Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Here are photos of the two scales I'm looking at.

The one on the right is the one I gave hubby. Accuracy doesn't seem to be a problem with his.
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 10:11 AM   #12
lilmule

All my experience has been with those but a mere hook,so wont chime in.
Other than some like the boca grip are barred from some T.Friend of mine has them they work great,havnt a clue why some orgs ban them.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 04:29 PM   #13
mike234

Keithdog, my clamp is Ok and weighed a fish that was 7 lbs 11oz and it started flopping around but the clamp held it OK and fish did not drop off. Do not know how long the clamp would last if it was used frequently. I only use it to weight big fish which I do not catch every often.
Forgot to mention, when the fish was flopping around the clamp tore a small uctusion in lower part of the mouth.

Last edited by mike234; 09-28-12 at 04:38 PM.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 05:40 PM   #14
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike234 View Post
Keithdog, my clamp is Ok and weighed a fish that was 7 lbs 11oz and it started flopping around but the clamp held it OK and fish did not drop off. Do not know how long the clamp would last if it was used frequently. I only use it to weight big fish which I do not catch every often.
Forgot to mention, when the fish was flopping around the clamp tore a small uctusion in lower part of the mouth.
Ok. It also comes with a hook that can be put in place of the clamp. Thats a nice option.
Old 10-10-12, 07:57 AM   #15
joedog

Don't know where your at in your search but...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rapala-Lock-...&_qi=RTM759775
Old 10-10-12, 09:23 AM   #16
bassboogieman

Did you buy one yet? I didn't look at this thread, but I will chime in on I think it's the Berkley.

I have a Berkley gripper (without scale) that I've used for several years - and it's fine on fish say under 5 pounds. I have had good fish flip off (usually it's me flipping off, but that's another thread) and I belive it may be due to the rounded jaw tips. You really need to be sure you have THOSE jaws securely placed around the lower jaw bone, any other location and they have a good chance of slipping off, at least in my experience. Personally I would not risk trying to lift a good sized pike, muskie or snakehead with the Berkley grip I have. I posted this picture of the snakehead, I caught a couple weeks ago on the Potomac.

Note - it's not all that huge, about 5 pounds and hanging pretty docile at the side of the kayak. The Berkley gripper I have is "securely" clamped around the jaw bone. Shortly after the picture was snapped the snakehead made a violent shake (surprised me) and was gone. Yeah the gripper failed, I really should have slit it's belly prior to pictures, but I didn't want the picture to be too gruesome. MISTAKE. I was lucky (smart) that I remove my "chatterbait", because if you notice the rod position had I not, I may have suffered a snapped rod tip when the snakehead shook loose. NOTE ALSO, the spinning rod lying on the side of the kayak, tip to the rear - that is the same position as the rod I lost overboard. I have since purchased rod floaters to give them a try (not sure I like them just from the way they feel, especially on casting rods as the line can make contact with the floats, not so on a spinning rod) if I don't like them, the next thing will be a leash for any rod not in a holder or stowed. I had my dry case beside the seat, just under the end of the rod handle, bumped the handle with the dry case and it was overboard in a blink of the eye. I didn't mount my paddle the "Day of the Lost Rod", which may have helped me save it. The rod on the opposite side is much better stowed, with the handle and reel down in the well, (rod tip is higher) which is a bit safer than the way the one on my right. It's a pretty precarious position in which to place a $500+ combo. Any kayakers reading this, please take a lesson from my stupidity.

The other observation I will make - the Berkley was not that expensive compared to the Boga or other examples of lip gripper (with or without a scale) and that may be part of the issue, remember you get what you pay for. I understand budget considerations and with that factored, I would suggest a gripper with pointed jaws, like the Rapala. I definitely would NOT purchase one like the Berkley again, but that's me.

Side note: Doc an orange plastic gripper, similiar to the one Joe posted. This one looks like a pair of vise-grips, his (I think) is spring loaded and would not deliver as secure a grip as this one if that assumption is correct.

I haven't seen him lift a large fish with it, but he does carry it on the kayak and he's know to be a "smart shopper". I also think Joe has a good point about having a scale to weigh the fish after it's on board. Sure it takes more time, isn't as quick because it is not a one step process, but I think you can get a more accurate scale in a stand alone unit, and you won't be weighing EVERY fish brought on board, so that's another consideration.

With my experience (or better said recent bad luck) I can envision myself lifting a 20+ lb Muskie to weigh it (on a Berkley scale witht the rounded jaws) and get a picture, and have it flip off, land in my boat, thrash around and I end up with two or three broken rods. Nightmare that is.

I have a Rapala scale that I weigh fish with and I feel much better with that good sized scale hook slid under the gill plate, or I don't think it's hurts a big fish all that much if you stick the hook through the thin skin behind the jaw bone if it still has the tendencecy to flop around. Either way, stand alone or grip/scale combo, do some hard comparison (keeping in mind the species and size of the fish you catch) so you buy one that will meet your needs and not an item you'll wish you had passed on. Whichever type you go with, attach an optional FLOAT to the cord, and keep your fingers away from those treble hooks!!!

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-10-12 at 11:06 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 04:07 PM   #17
keithdog

That Berkley is the exact one I lost and I agree, it's not my first choice. I'm 99% sure I'm buying the Rapala Digital Touch scale. I wouldn't want a big pike or musky flopping around in the boat either!

It has a lot of good buyer comments, has a strong clip for holding the fish and it floats. Plus it's around 50$ so it's much cheeper than a Boga. The season is about over so I may just put it on my Christmas wish list and see what happens.

I really like that gripper that Doc uses and have been looking at those. I plan to pick one up before next season as well.

It sounds like your getting your rod storage in the kayak figured out. Thats a good thing. With all the guys getting into Kayak fishing, your loss just might help them prevent a similar sad situation.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-12, 07:37 PM   #18
nobass

i just bought a scale this weekend after mine froze up again they where the berkleys. both are now some where in the cumberland river/ i do not use them that often as me and jlohn do not catch anything big enouigh to weigh i got a 14.99 spring scale at basspro sunday. no batterys to worry about. and really not worried about weight as no tourney fishing. just want to know close to weight not down to the 100th of ounce
Old 10-10-12, 08:07 PM   #19
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Accu_...ACCUSCALE.html
andyfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-12, 08:18 PM   #20
keithdog

Oh, you would muddy up the waters after I thought I knew what I wanted. haha JK pal. That looks like a decent scale.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.