Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-03-07, 07:45 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Ok Folks the heat is on.................

Ok I know Im old and wise and full of chit but I know that an old dog can be taught new tricks. I am tired of only catching 2 or 3 dinks when I go to the lake. What do ya'll do when the fish are swimming around in a fish boil. I need some new tricks to add to my bag to up the anty.
Old 08-03-07, 08:32 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey Laser,
hotter n hell here too, mid 90s all f/n day, we have found some bigger fish suspended in 8-12 feet over vegetation, Still plenty of dink around the banks up here too.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 09:05 AM   #3
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

flip docks in shady areas...fish grass if there is any....fish deep on points....basically what I've been doing for the last two months....

docks find the ones with brush...same goes to deeper stuff too.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 03:11 PM   #4
zooker

aww ya poor thing.. get yer butt out of bed afore the sunrises and FISH..the bite dies round here around 9 am..

zooker
Old 08-03-07, 05:44 PM   #5
Rodman_Rob

when you say boil, are you refering to hot water or are you refering to the fish feeding on the surface causing a lot of comotion on the top?
Old 08-04-07, 09:10 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

As in HOT WATER . Been doing alot of the stuff I have for years but it dont seem to work as well as it did in the past. I do beleive that with all the high water this year that the fish are scattered instead of being buired in the grass and jungle as normal.
Old 08-04-07, 11:47 PM   #7
Rodman_Rob

shallow cover early in the morning and late in the day, mid day deep water.
Old 08-04-07, 11:55 PM   #8
hackattack

high water can really f*** you...fish stuff EARLY...im doing pretty well fishing spinnerbaits around docks early and then as the sun goes up, skipping
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 12:13 AM   #9
Rebbasser

Laser, Zooker is right-go early. Flyrod and I have been on the water by 5 AM every time we've gone this summer, and the bite really slows down once the sun gets up.
Old 08-05-07, 07:57 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Well its gonna be a couple of weeks before I go again. Took the boys to Lake Monticello Saturday night,whacked a rock. WHEW was glad I wasnt going any faster than just on plane. Now I got glass work to do.
Old 08-05-07, 12:34 PM   #11
scrap

Default slowing down

glad to read that the bite has slowed down for alot of people.
i thought i was doing something wrong.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 01:06 PM   #12
WTL

You got to get your mind right.

First, you're gonna have to work. Fish are scattered right now. Thats just how it is. So cover lots of water and switch things up. The other day I started the day off deadsticking a sweet beaver, but when that dried up I started burning a spinnerbait. Both produced fish, maybe not as many or as big as I'd liked but thats two almost completly opposed techniques and fish would hit both. And for the record, they aint always deep when its hot.

I know this post isnt one that has a whole lot of revelations, but there just arent going to be answers. If, by virtue of fishing hard and covering a lot of water you run into a mess of active bass, you might as well consider yourself a bit lucky. The more you fish, the more likely your are to run into a little luck.
Old 08-06-07, 09:58 AM   #13
mont_lunker_hunter

Laser, try the mainlake humps near the spillway...mid-morning. Otherwise, go home. I know every hump, point, creek, and stump in that place and I've only been able to catch good ones on the humps. You can catch 3 or 4 pounders flippin around bigger trees with submerged limbs in about 8-15'. The fish seem to be suspended right under the limbs. I saw a 3 pounder with his back touching the underside of the limb at noon the other day, so try swimming a jig or crankbait down those limbs. But as i said, to catch the good un's go to the humps.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 05:08 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

have been catching some good fish on bluff ends, mainly on jigs and shaky heads. not sure what kind of water you are fishing and i am sure you know this but finding colored water is a big key. also have been catching some good numbers on main lake points on deep diving crankbaits, the key here is getting the bait down to the bottom and stirring up the gravel and rocks.
Old 08-06-07, 06:33 PM   #15
basschamp4

the only advice i can give is get out there real early
Old 08-06-07, 07:58 PM   #16
1FASTLASER

Thanks all for the advice. Mont Lunk Htr will try them as soon as I can get back there. I was there Saturday night but had to leave pretty quick. Found a Rock and yes gotta repair the hull now. Will be going back prolly this weekend in a friends boat.
Old 08-06-07, 08:00 PM   #17
CLENSKH

Send a message via Yahoo to CLENSKH

Its been in the hundreds juat about every day here, The bite slows towards the afternoon, When that time comes around I try and find shade and fish the edges etc. But if I cannot find shade I fish deeper I look for long points and seem to produce good fish on them, Also if there its lots of boat traffic or wind I look for muddy water on the bank and fish that bass love that stuff!
Old 08-06-07, 08:36 PM   #18
BLWeng

Send a message via AIM to BLWeng

Just heard Ish Monroe talk about the same thing on a show on Sat. He said 1. Find running water that is coming into the lake...more Oxygen
2. Find wind. Kind of what CLENSKH said about muddy water and stuff, and
3. Fish Deep.
I think i read all of these on here already, but interestingly, there are alot of people having the same problem.
Old 08-06-07, 08:44 PM   #19
1FASTLASER

Yea I mainly wanted to pick everyone's mind and see what I could pick up and see what if anything I was missing. We have had so much water earlier this year the fish have had alot more habitat to swim to so the regular places I fish are either so dang wedy I would need a weed wacker on steriods to make a dent in them.This has been a tough year of fishing for sho. If the lakes around here had more depth to them it would be easier to cipher the fish out...........just go to the ledges and jig'em up or slow crank'em ...........I've done that a bunch in different waters.. Been thinking bout trying to drop shot some of my holes but I sill would have to use heavier mono because of the trees,stumps,weeds..........you get the picture. Only thing is I dont know how well drop shotting would work in water less than 15ft. deep
Old 08-07-07, 08:35 PM   #20
lizardsrule

The only thing I would like to add, is during this time of year, IMO there is always a lot more bait fish in the water from all the spawns. Not only bass, but others too. So they have more to feed on, and feed more on baitfish right now then anything else. So baitfish imitators have worked better for me than anything else, and a spinnerbait to me is a bait fish imitator.

Lizards
Old 08-08-07, 08:23 AM   #21
mont_lunker_hunter

Yeah, lizards, that's why i said i fish mainlake humps. You'll kill yourself tryin to chase all the schools this time of year, so i find places like the humps where the baitfish congregate. I like to throw a c-rig with a fluke or other shade type imitator.
Old 08-08-07, 09:29 AM   #22
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I know everyone is saying get out their early, well I say, why not late. go out in late evening and fish through the night till morning. the bass are more active and feeding at night anyways.
Old 08-08-07, 12:43 PM   #23
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

There is no way to say at what time [morning or evening] a bass is a more active feeder. PLus fish are primarily oppurtunistic feeders [for the most part] and if it is given the oppurtunity to eat, it will. There are always exceptions, this is just a guide line. But whether you fish morning evening or midnight its all good. I think the only bad time to fish will be in the middle of the day, when all you are doing is putting yourself through all that heat.
Old 08-08-07, 04:21 PM   #24
mont_lunker_hunter

I agree somewhat. But the middle of the day can congregate fish much as the dead of winter does. If you can find those baitfish, you'll find the bass.
Old 08-08-07, 04:58 PM   #25
hackattack

our high today is 68
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.