Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-30-12, 11:13 AM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default changing from deep to shallow and cranking in laydowns

got a BOAT, so my question is,if i am fishing deep, then want to go shallow say closer to the shore off a point. does it matter if i still use deep divers, i mean say it is 6 foot deep and i am using a 10 foot diver, compared to changing lures and hoping your 6 foot diver gets 6 feet, You know your 10 will. I hope this makes sense. I know I am notorious for making dumb @$$ posts, but just wondering... second ??, say if the water around the lay down is 8 foot, but you want to run threw the trees and brush, do you use a shallow runner just to bump in to the brush because you dont want hit the bottem, right?
Old 08-30-12, 11:53 AM   #2
matt3mckee
BassFishin.Com Member

different strokes for different folks lol. I know some people who throw 12-15 ft divers in 6-8 foot of water to make it dig. Also know others that change witht he depths each time. I like to dig "to a certain degree" so if it's 8 ft deep and I have on something going to 12 ft I leave it, but I don't take a 6xd and bring it in 6 ft like others I know do. Just all in what you have confidence in and what you like to do.
matt3mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-12, 12:57 PM   #3
wallywallace

yea, i figure you'd want to hit the bottem, never heard them digging,
Old 08-30-12, 09:23 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It just all depends on what your dealing with. If it's relativly open water with little weed growth, then sure, dig that bottom with a deeper diving crank, or bounce it off the rocks, ect. You can also just reel slower to help keep it from going so deeply. But if your fishing in water with strong weed growth, your not going to be able to dig the bottom. You can retrieve the crankbait so it's tickling the tops of the weeds though. Bear in mind though, if your wanting to crank through brush, a shallow sqare bill reflects off wood much better than most deep divers. Deep divers tend to hit wood and slide against it which creates more hangups. If I'm wanting to work the bottom below trees and brush, the crankbait is going to get put away, and the pitchin rod is comming out.
Old 08-31-12, 07:33 AM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

wally...don't ever worry about making silly posts my man, ask a question buddy and feel good aobut it ok? oyu want to know, so ask. no such thing as a silly question.

now as for oyur question. oyu CAN keep the 10 ft diver on. like matt said, some folks do it so that it'll dig on the bottom. alot of times it works. keith said some great things too. i agreew ith both comments. sometimes i'll JERK it after i let it alllmost come to the top of the water. make it look like it's near death. then DIVE it back down with a jerk.
Old 08-31-12, 01:32 PM   #6
wallywallace

thank you both, It is heading out on its Maiden fishing voyage tonite, well more of a scout, i got a lake mape and plan on just scouting out stuff.. next subject, who is gonna donate me a depth/fish finder and a trolling moder that was made in the last 20 years.
Old 08-31-12, 04:47 PM   #7
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you go "over" you have a few more options I think. You can make it run shallower if you stop when it hits bottom and you let it float up a little bit (which can be deadly at times). Having said that, I like it to "dig" and bounce off stuff.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-12, 08:00 PM   #8
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Use to be a crankbait guy when I fished a lake with a lot of sand dropoffs, points, and shell beds where I would place christmas trees. You can adjust the depth while you are fishing by slowing your retrieve, or raising you rod tip. In that lake I caught more by digging the bait into the bottom. Example, in 8 foot of water i threw a 10' crankbait.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-12, 11:13 AM   #9
wallywallace

thanks guys

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.