Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-26-12, 04:01 PM   #1
fishingprodigy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Flakes in Soft Plastics?

How do you guys feel about using flakes in soft plastics? Flake colors? Types of plastics? Conditions?
fishingprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 06:38 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like flake in ALL my soft plasics. Color varies, the list is almost endless, but mostly I like black with almost any plastic, red with watermellon or black plastic, maybe a little gold or silver in white baits or mixed with those listed previously.. Flakes provide some color variation and flash. Flake size can differ from small to large, and all can be used almost interchangeably, the deciding factor is usually based on your confidence on what has worked for you. Not many things in nature are the same color throughout their bodies, and flake helps in that it offers a break in the coloration and the reflective colors may provide a tiny flash of light, like a scale on a minnow.

You won't find many baits/lures today that are one solid color, flakes in soft plastic is one way to break up a solid color in that material. There are a few colors that work without flakes (white, black & pink come to my mind) but I don't use them - all my plastics have some sort or flake in them, some more, some less.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 07:16 PM   #3
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I like flake in ALL my soft plasics. Color varies, the list is almost endless, but mostly I like black with almost any plastic, red with watermellon or black plastic, maybe a little gold or silver in white baits or mixed with those listed previously.. Flakes provide some color variation and flash. Flake size can differ from small to large, and all can be used almost interchangeably, the deciding factor is usually based on your confidence on what has worked for you. Not many things in nature are the same color throughout their bodies, and flake helps in that it offers a break in the coloration and the reflective colors may provide a tiny flash of light, like a scale on a minnow.

You won't find many baits/lures today that are one solid color, flakes in soft plastic is one way to break up a solid color in that material. There are a few colors that work without flakes (white, black & pink come to my mind) but I don't use them - all my plastics have some sort or flake in them, some more, some less.
Me too, I think all my plastics have flakes. I probably wouldn't buy solid colors without flakes.
Old 10-26-12, 08:39 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post

I have to agree with everything Bruce has to say here. While I have had luck with solid colors, black mostly, I have had much better luck with plastics with flake. One of my favorites is black/blue flake.
Old 10-26-12, 09:31 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingprodigy View Post
How do you guys feel about using flakes in soft plastics? I feel real good about it! Flake colors? Any color that contrasts, compliments or blends with the plastic. Types of plastics? Soft Conditions? No
We seem to be assuming you're asking about store bought plastics. If that's the case all the above answers apply. If you pour your own then you can be way more creative. Over the years I've put everything you can imagine in hand pours...salt-pepper-garlic-anise-gills-scales-bacon bits-hair-eye ball fluid-sand-onion powder-fromunda cheese-etc.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that well over 80+% of all over the counter soft plastics offer their stuff in "watermelon seed" or some close variation......got to ask yourself why.
Old 10-26-12, 10:24 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have some with and some without. Watermelon red flake is a tough color to beat, as is watermelon candy. I think it only adds to the bait, especially using a more natural color in clear water.
Old 10-27-12, 03:21 AM   #7
joedog

Just an example of one companies colors.
Not sure but Zoom may be the biggest plastic maker.
They have 60 DIFFERENT plastic baits and 73 colors.
I'm not going through them all but most if not ALL have flake in them, including white. Those that don't, have contrasting colors .
Just thought I'd share.

http://zoombait.com/creature/lizards/6-inch-lizard/

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.