Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-24-13, 06:50 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default snaps

I was wondering if snaps affect the action of crankbaits? Including top, mid and deep depth cranks. I guess you could include jerk baits too. With arthritis and gout in my fingers giving me trouble tieing knots over and over each time I change a bait. Also I need more line to tie them. I've tried Norman speed clips and can't work them.
This has probably been discussed before but my concern was with the different depth of the baits. Also size of the bait. Do the clips work better or worse with the different size baits?
Or should I just put one on and crank to my hearts content and not worry?
Old 03-24-13, 07:00 PM   #2
bassboogieman

I use the Norman Speed Clips, have for many years. I don't see an issue with different style snaps. One thing (you probably know this) when using a snap or clip I remove the split ring. No need for the additional hardware.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-13, 07:03 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

Bob have you tried working the Speed Clips with a pair of needlenoses instead of your hands? Even small snaps would probably be strong enough to handle all but the biggest fish. As far as messing up the action.....the bigger cranks would probably be the least bothered and small (especially balsa) cranks the most.
Old 03-24-13, 08:17 PM   #4
Marty

For all my fishing years I have used the duolock type of snaps. I attach them to whatever the bait comes with, line tie or split ring. If they have any negative effect, it's not something that I've ever noticed.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-13, 08:28 PM   #5
joedog

Ken's needle nose is a good idea. I've used them cause sometimes those clips are so small.
The norman clips I beleive started with the 'ice fisherman' and the hassle of switching lures in the cold.
Hard water fishing, I always used forceps with them.
I've used them often and I've been using speed clips for a while.
I understand the struggle, especially if the hands are giving you grief already.

There are two sizes of clips too. One is described as a Musky/pike clip. BPS carry the larger clips.
I have challenges with the double cross overs sometimes if the lure eye is small it will impede action not allowing free movement.

If you want to try others I've found that clips with a swivel work good on jigs and soft plastics like flukes but cranking I don't think you want swivels.

I should of mentioned that I do use them on lipless cranks though and I've been using them for years now.

Now I'm not a big cranker but I've heard that a loop knot improves hard body jerk baits and sometimes regular cranks if your throwing a stop and go retreive.
Hence a clip would be similar in my eyes.

Now these are the clips that may solve everything.
Found them last year when I got frustrated with the small eyes on the Normans.
These I have NOT tried or purchased but the reviews are crazy good.
And the price is just, well .....crazy.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/3203...onTime&dir=asc

Last edited by joedog; 03-24-13 at 09:15 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-13, 07:53 AM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've used #1 size duolock snaps forever it seems with all my cranks and jerkbaits without any issues. I will tie dirrectly to a suspending jerbait sometimes to ensure proper action and reduce hardware on a bait that is sitting still. But otherwise, I use snaps.
Old 03-25-13, 12:49 PM   #7
Bassboss

I'd think it depends on how big they are. If it's small and compact enough it shouldn't effect the action much at all, not to mention just looks more streamline and natural than a larger snap would.

I would try to prevent putting them on jerkbaits however. Since you let them sit so long when you fish them, the extra hardware could stray-off potential bitters. It'd also give the bait more of a nose down presentation or perhaps even make them sink slowly.

But remember, fishing is suppose to be fun! If tying knots hurts to much, and no longer makes fishing fun, than use snaps whenever you can!
Old 03-25-13, 07:12 PM   #8
bamabassman

well i use snaps for most all my crank and spinnerbait rods. i find it gives the bait more action, or at least i tell myself that. lol!

with my hands and fingers getting worse because ol arthur is visiting and STAYING with me no for longer periods of time. i find it easier to use than retying all the time.
Old 03-25-13, 07:20 PM   #9
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

No issues here.
Old 03-25-13, 09:43 PM   #10
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
No issues here.
Dave....just for clarity.....are you saying you have no issues tying knots ie you have incredible digital dexterity or you have no issues working Speed clips or you just have no issues in general regarding anything?
Old 03-26-13, 12:40 AM   #11
Hoosier

Now maybe I'm upside down on this because I've been told that clips can actually cost you fish. Not due to the action but more the look. I have tied everything since and haven't really seen much difference. Maybe bass just don't like steak:-)
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 07:26 AM   #12
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Now maybe I'm upside down on this because I've been told that clips can actually cost you fish. Not due to the action but more the look. I have tied everything since and haven't really seen much difference. Maybe bass just don't like steak:-)
I really don't think bass even notice the clip, except "maybe" with a suspending jerkbait. And I doubt that too. It's hard to believe that a tiny clip would cause a bass to shy away from a crankbait, when you look at all the metal hardware on an Alabama rig.
Old 03-26-13, 09:08 AM   #13
joedog

Ok here's my take.

I have used them on jerk baits. Hard body, it will tend to bring nose down. But if suspending this actually can work in your favor. These things seem to have a target depth that varies by brand, size etc. So if the target depth is lets say 5'. When you 'jerk' with nose down, it will slightly dive and rise all so slowly to target depth again. Similar but not as prominent if nose is up, but opposite of course.

Soft plastics like flukes, really no effect.

The fish actually seeing the clip? Probably do when they are close. But anyone ever hear about flash attracting. Hunch is there may be all so small of a flash and again may help, not hinder bite.

The real challenge for 'me' is realizing and remembering that bass don't 'think'. They are not human. They have a brain that functions by reacting not like some dog I know who needs to understand all options and then try them.

I am as bad as anyone.
Color to me is important.
Size is important.
Fluoro is important. Stealth...on and on and on

I've come to believe that it ALL has to do with MY confidence more than the actual effect on the bass.

With all that being said.
When the fish really need finessing to bite... probably will effect bite but may not.
Old 03-26-13, 01:47 PM   #14
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I was wondering if snaps affect the action of crankbaits? Including top, mid and deep depth cranks. I guess you could include jerk baits too. With arthritis and gout in my fingers giving me trouble tieing knots over and over each time I change a bait. Also I need more line to tie them. I've tried Norman speed clips and can't work them.
This has probably been discussed before but my concern was with the different depth of the baits. Also size of the bait. Do the clips work better or worse with the different size baits?
Or should I just put one on and crank to my hearts content and not worry?
on all of my crankbaits and jerkbaits, i remove the split ring, and use a quality snap. you need to use a snap size appropriate for the lure you are throwing. i also use a cross lock snap when possible. some lures such as wiggle warts you have to use a standard duo-lock snap. another great use of a snap is to add just a touch more weight to a suspending jerk bait.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 06:28 PM   #15
Dave63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Dave....just for clarity.....are you saying you have no issues tying knots ie you have incredible digital dexterity or you have no issues working Speed clips or you just have no issues in general regarding anything?
Yes, all of the above

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.