Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-13, 09:29 AM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Spinnerbait rod

Looking to get a dedicated spinnerbait rod. What would you recommend for 1/4 oz. to 3/4 oz. baits? Trying to stay under $200.
Old 09-14-13, 10:10 AM   #2
Tavery5

I think you can throw a spinner bait on about any rod you own. You just have to match the condition your throwing them in to the rod you are going to use. For instance, if you are throwing to tight cover and docks a shorter rod would help with accuracy, if your casting parallel to the banks or open water you may want a longer rod for distance. Match the power of the rod to the weight of the bait you will be using, just make sure it falls into the sweet zone of the rated weights that rod was designed for. Action can be anything, just decide on if it is important to you to be able to feel the thumping of the blades and vibration of the bait, if so I would suggest a faster action, if not a slower action may be suitable. The length of your cast may play a part in how fast an action and how long a rod you would like also, long casts require more line to be moved to get a good hookset and a longer, faster rod will help with that.

As I said before, I do not see the need for a dedicated spinnerbait rod in my fishing, I can make almost any open rod I have work, I just have to adjust the rod length, power and action to the situation.
Old 09-14-13, 10:19 AM   #3
lilmule

Hes right any med for light ones med heavy for more weight,match accordingly for casting distance and feel for in lily pads have even used 60pd braid with a heavy action rod tossing a large 3/4 -1oz thumper,short for accuracy,long for distance.
No one rod even if it costs 200 will do them all in all situations yet several 40 dollar ones just might,once you find what you toss most and action and length then upgrade with that one scenario.Other wise 800-1000 in rods on deck for just spinnerbaits.
I do not however purchase one just for spinnerbaiting tend to use the others for that or those that didnt quite cut it for say worming,to much tip etc.For 1/4 and 1/8 a shimano compre med works well for me in a 6 ft 6.Didnt cost that much can also toss small shallow crankbaits,with same rod so many that fit the bill do double duty.
Unlike worming the bait is moving and the bass is as well so slightly less rod works quite well providing it isnt buried.

Last edited by lilmule; 09-14-13 at 10:32 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-13, 10:42 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

For over all spinner baitting, I would recommend a 6'6" medium heavy/fast rod. There are a bunch of them, and you certainly don't need to spend a lot of $$$ to find a good one. I often use the same rod for spinner baits as I do buzz baits. Now, I do have a rod I have dedicated to fishing spinner baits, because I have one rigged all the time. Mine happens to be a BPS Pro Qualifier rod that I got on the cheep many years ago, and it's been a very nice rod. But there are so many nice rods on the market, I could list dozens. I have a 7 foot rod that's MH/F that works very well too, and that I prefer if I am using a heavier spinner bait or want more than one spinner bait rigged at one time. But it's not a rod I have dedicated to spinner baits. One thing to be sure it to find a rod that has a flexible tip. A rod with a stiff tip, makes casting spinner baits more difficult. I do recommend a graphite rod over a fiberglass rod as you will get much better feel from your bait, and what it's coming in contact with. It doesn't need to be super sensitive such as an expensive jigging or worm rod, but you'll want to be able to feel if the blades are spinning freely, and if your contacting any vegetation. I have a St Croix dedicated 6 1/2 med/mod for crank baits that has worked VERY well with light weight spinner baits of 1/4 oz. The Garcia Vendetta and Veritas rods would serve very well without costing an arm and a leg. As previously mentioned, you don't need a dedicated rod that is made especially for spinner baits. Just one you want to dedicate to it. I'd also add another thing. If you do a lot of fishing from shore, check into a 5'6" rod. That small rod will be very helpful around over hanging braches and casting from between brush piles.

Last edited by keithdog; 09-15-13 at 10:53 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-13, 10:16 PM   #5
HawgCatcher
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Looking to get a dedicated spinnerbait rod. What would you recommend for 1/4 oz. to 3/4 oz. baits? Trying to stay under $200.
To me it would be more about how accurate I wanted my casts to be. When I'm making short casts in and around docks, bushes, stumps etc. I like to use shorter rods to be able to make those accurate casts needed to get those bigger fish to bite without spooking them. Then when I'm making those longer casts around grass lines or big flats where accuracy really isn't a big concern I prefer the longer rods to help me launch those baits out there to cover a lot of water. The rods I would recommend are the Fenwick Elite Tech. They are very light and balanced with the right amount of back bone.
HawgCatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-13, 11:07 PM   #6
Rebbasser

I'm with Keith-a 6-6 or 7 MH rod will work just fine. I recommend MH because it has single hook-I only throw single hook baits in a MH rod.
Old 09-20-13, 06:53 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Forgot to say I do have a spinnerbait rod that is designed as a spinnerbait rod, but you don't really need one. It is nice to have, though
Old 09-21-13, 09:03 AM   #8
bassinbob

Think I might get the Kistler KLX. Wanted to try one out anyway. I have numerous med. heavy rods and I really don't like any of them for throwing spinnerbaits. I do use a short Cherrywood rod for close spinnerbait applications. I mainly throw 1/2 oz. Strike King and War Eagle baits. Tav good idea matching up the weight of the bait to the sweet zone. All good input, thanks.
Old 09-21-13, 02:03 PM   #9
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Think I might get the Kistler KLX. Wanted to try one out anyway. I have numerous med. heavy rods and I really don't like any of them for throwing spinnerbaits. I do use a short Cherrywood rod for close spinnerbait applications. I mainly throw 1/2 oz. Strike King and War Eagle baits. Tav good idea matching up the weight of the bait to the sweet zone. All good input, thanks.
There is a store locally that carries the KLX line. I checked them out a couple of weeks ago. It sure made me want to buy one. They have North Fork Composite blanks, (Gary Loomis' company) and a real clean build. They also offer full cork grips. I've heard nothing but good things from people who own these rods.
Old 09-22-13, 11:02 AM   #10
bassboogieman

Did somebody mention Kistler rods?
Anyway, I like a MH/f rod for spinnerbait/chatterbait because they have a single (heavy wire) hook - for the 3/8+ baits specified in the OP - and I usually throw them around grass or other cover. Length can vary from 6'0" to 7'6" depending on what you are comfortable with. I prefer a 6'9" as a compromise between accuracy and distance when it comes to casting a spinnerbait. I do have a couple dedicated rods as I usually have a spinnerbait and/or chatterbait tied on.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 06:48 PM   #11
jchez444
BassFishin.Com Member

for spinnerbait rod my current gamer is a denali rosewood spinnerbait rod which is nice. i also use it for other applications. i also liked the crucial and kistler helium mirco guide
jchez444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 10:23 PM   #12
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sensitivity on a spinnerbait rod isn't as critical as on a jig/plastics setup, but a reasonably light & sensitive rod lets you feel the blades thump, ticking grass etc. a medium priced worm rod can make a good spinnerbait rod.
Old 01-18-14, 11:25 PM   #13
T7HeadTurner

Matters what time of the year and were I am, some times Ill use a 7'3 Fast action rod, but if I had to pick one, I really like a 6'10 M/F to Fast action rod. I prefer Falcon or Lamiglas rods.
They both have rods under $200. The BuCoo, and Excel ll.
Old 01-20-14, 05:07 PM   #14
Old Hooker

I always have a spinnerbait tied on and occasionally switch it over to a buzzbait. I use a BPS Bionic Blade 7' MH/F, but about any MH/F rod will do.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.