Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-09-12, 04:16 PM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default light weight rod

Hey guys I love the light weight of the carrot stick. Had heard so many terrible things about them. What rod would you recommend in the $0-$120 dollar range that is light like the carrot stick. I fish crankbaits all the time and want a lighter rod
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 04:28 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Crankbait, I've been throwing them on Falcon Low Riders for several years and have been real happy with them. Lightweight and sensitive, and if I can get them on sale they run about $99. The nice thing about throwing crankbaits is sensitivity isn't nearly as important as it is for something like a worm or jig so I will also use rods that are not so high dollar.

I use crankbait specific rods for big bruisers like a DD-22 but for lighter baits like a Bandit 100 as long as the rod is a M action I don't hesitate to throw a crankbait on it.
Old 09-09-12, 04:32 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm not sure if I've held a rod that feels lighter than the Carrot Stix, anywhere close to that price range. There are some but they cost 3 times as much. The new CS Wild rods with the green butt cap are really nice to hold in the hand, I've never actually fished with one though. I haven't heard anything negative about CS since the initial bad rods 4 or 5 yrs ago. I guess what I'm saying is, you might have answered your own question. Just get one of the micro guide versions, some of the regular rods have guides that won't hold up to braid.
Old 09-09-12, 08:41 PM   #4
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I'm not sure if I've held a rod that feels lighter than the Carrot Stix, anywhere close to that price range. There are some but they cost 3 times as much. The new CS Wild rods with the green butt cap are really nice to hold in the hand, I've never actually fished with one though. I haven't heard anything negative about CS since the initial bad rods 4 or 5 yrs ago. I guess what I'm saying is, you might have answered your own question. Just get one of the micro guide versions, some of the regular rods have guides that won't hold up to braid.
Ahaa Jrob how do you know I throw braid……all the time. I’m not ruling out carrot sticks. Crazy light but I haven’t held a medium to medium light. I want a little flex in the tip because of the braid. Micro guides hmmm why are they better for braid? Rebbasser I will look into those falcons
Old 09-09-12, 10:04 PM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

BPS Carbon Lights are pretty light, I dont own one so I cant vouch for them as to durability. But they seem to be a decent rod.
Old 09-09-12, 11:04 PM   #6
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
Ahaa Jrob how do you know I throw braid……all the time. I’m not ruling out carrot sticks. Crazy light but I haven’t held a medium to medium light. I want a little flex in the tip because of the braid. Micro guides hmmm why are they better for braid? Rebbasser I will look into those falcons
Like I said, I don't own any CS rods so I can't comment on their actions but I do know they are really light. I also firmly believe the QC issues they had were taken care of a long time ago.

The micro guides aren't better for braid because of their size, they are better because they have ceramic inserts and a lot of Carrot Stix rod guides do not. I wouldn't trust anything less than an aluminum oxide ring with braid. If all you see is shiny metal, there is a good chance it will groove. I do believe micro guides are better for most bass fishing scenarios but that is another topic. All but 2 of my personal rods have micro guides.
Old 09-10-12, 03:52 PM   #7
bassinbob

Crankbait check the Gander MTs. if you have any around you. I bought a Carrot Stick Gold with micro guides for $99. I paired it with a Citica e and it has become my favorite combo for crankbaits. However I don't use braid on it. I have lifted 3 and 4 lbers and no issues with the rod. It's a one handed casting wonder.
Old 09-10-12, 03:57 PM   #8
DVT Mike

The jury's still out but I've used the PacBay Minnima4 guides (stainless ring) on several builds that will see at least some braid use and so far so good.
Old 09-11-12, 12:43 AM   #9
Crankbait

WTL I did look at those but was worried about the guides because I use nothing but braid. Bassinbob how do you like those micro guides?
Old 09-11-12, 04:58 PM   #10
bassinbob

Crankbait I like the guides. Increased distance is noticeable. I am thinking about reguiding a few rods.
Old 09-13-12, 01:41 PM   #11
fish4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
BPS Carbon Lights are pretty light, I dont own one so I cant vouch for them as to durability. But they seem to be a decent rod.
I have several in the regular and micro guides. They are durable. I haven't had one problem with them. Well, except for the time I managed to chuck one into the lake...but that was my fault. I would highly recommend the 7 MH micro for $120.00. I've been thinking about the Carrot Stix Wilde and Abu Garcia Veritas micro, but I think I'll end up back with something I know to be good, BPS Carbonlite Micro.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-12, 09:57 PM   #12
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
I have several in the regular and micro guides. They are durable. I haven't had one problem with them. Well, except for the time I managed to chuck one into the lake...but that was my fault. I would highly recommend the 7 MH micro for $120.00. I've been thinking about the Carrot Stix Wilde and Abu Garcia Veritas micro, but I think I'll end up back with something I know to be good, BPS Carbonlite Micro.
can the guides hold up to braid though?
Old 09-14-12, 03:04 AM   #13
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
can the guides hold up to braid though?
Yes, the Carbonlite rods use good guides.
Old 09-16-12, 12:30 PM   #14
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:

i have a 6'6 for Topwater, hardbaits, i love it, only been catching 2 lbers lately, but i would think they would hold up.. i am not a fan of the carrot, though i love that orange
Old 09-18-12, 01:17 PM   #15
Crankbait

Quote:
thanks Jrob

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.