Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-16-12, 01:03 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default I'm finally a 'FLUKING' believer!

Well for the longest time I never used flukes. Fact is that I had such poor success on past 'fluking' experiences you anglers saw how I liked to interchange 'fluke' for another very popular 'F' word.
I had little success with paddle tails and a fluke just seemed to be a paddle tail without a tail.
After the tremendous positives without hardly a negative ever mentioned around here I decided to LEARN the fluking Fluke.
I mentioned in the spring that I was going to and I did.

Now to start with, if you have never seen a fluke twitched in the water, check it out. This thing can make anyone believe they should work. I mean the darting and twitching looks so much like a 'live fish' it still amazes me.

Well wieghtless was not successfull but remember it was cold weather and water so top water probably wasn't the best choice but when I 'test' a lure I use them almost anywhere anytime because.....well just because.
Next I moved to a wieghted Gami on a 3/0. Wieght 1/8oz. The males were moving in to start nesting. I threw a fluke at least for 15 minutes each outting and you folks know I get out ALOT, usually a couple of hours a shift and usually two shifts a day. Ya I know, crazy.
Now I felt that I should start with the original fluke and I did. Still not a very good bite but caught a few.
So when I was on a baitshop outting with the monkey WE decided to try other brands ......because the monkey made me do it!
Then WE saw the Caffene Shads from Strike King and you know the monkies got stock in Strke King so you know they went in the bag.
Let the fun begin. (And you anglers TOLD me coffee scent was good for attracting ladies too, remember?)
Now I in NO way will telll ANYONE what makes a good or bad fluke but those little tail bubbles are very inticing on the fall and the jerk, jerk, pause retrieve seems pretty much the same.
Caught a 6 lb. LM and a 4+ SM first time out with them.
I still use at times the original but my true success is the caffenes.
I've caught a couple of 5+ Cats, to many pike to mention, (not intentionally) a good pound sunny,(4in.caffene) and even snagged a BIG carp with one.
I've thrown them and did the traditional retrieve, I've slow crawled them on the bottom. I've popped them like a jig on bottom and through grass and vegatation (love the weedless rigging abilities), I've still fished them (again, not really intentionally at first ), I've surfaced popped them through shad clusters, I've basically done it all except.....the double fluke presentation but this maybe on the table yet. Thinking maybe deadly on school feeding fall Bass. I've worked them on leaders, mono, braid, Floro, Coply. I've fished them wieghtless all the way up to 1/4 oz wieghted hook, I've fished them wieghted texas rigged, you thought of it, I probably tried it.
I studied it, the presentations, the color selections in an effort to understand the 'whys'. You anglers helped me understand alot too.
Bottom line, a paddletail and a fluke are not fished or meant to fish the same way. Paddles more of a crankbait retrieve and flukes a jerk and retrieve. You know I tried it, paddletails stink for a jerk, jerk retrieve.

I always NOW have at least one fluke setup in the car always and often more then one.
I'm still in the learning and experimenting phase but.....

I now proudly declare, I'm a fluking believer!

Oh feel free to give me more ideas and presentation ideas cause I'm still learning.
Old 09-16-12, 03:06 PM   #2
Jrob78

I'm with you Joe, soft jerkbaits have always been a big confidence bait for me. I fish them weightless 97% of the time. I started out with Zoom Flukes and I do still use them. I really like Bass Assassins and Caffeine Shads too. They are great baits that can be fished so many different ways.
Old 09-16-12, 04:06 PM   #3
lilmule

And they make a bubblegum pink as well.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 04:59 PM   #4
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

We had never used or even owned flukes until this year. A fishing acquaintance told hubby about them and that has been the major producing bait for us this year. We have had the best luck fishing it crigged.
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 05:43 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

Way to go Joe! Flukes seem to fall in and out of favor with me over the years, lately they only see the water when flicked jerked and popped over the tops of grass beds. Yes the Srtike Kings is-are-can be-often will be efficacious. Dju ever get a camera? I'd like to see some pics of those f__cking fish
Old 09-16-12, 09:32 PM   #6
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Way to go Joe! Flukes seem to fall in and out of favor with me over the years, lately they only see the water when flicked jerked and popped over the tops of grass beds. Yes the Srtike Kings is-are-can be-often will be efficacious. Dju ever get a camera? I'd like to see some pics of those f__cking fish
Had to bring the camera up didn't you?
Ya I got a really pretty good water proof,shockproof Olympus TG-310. Got memery cards, float band, portable tripod. Thing lets you over-ride and manually change arpeture and lense speed and all that great stuff. I have no need for nor have any idea how to correctly use. Started the spring taking pictures and between being a wader and always worried how long I can safely keep a large fish out of water before hurting it's survival it just seemed to be one more thing to lug around.
Then I realized you folks weren't just plugging the camera into the computer and sending pics. It involved loading onto computer, sending to a place like shutterfly and then again transfering to forum.
Bruce was VERY KIND and sent me stuff on how to do it but (I had a program from Olympus to load from camera to computer but I messed with it for DAYS before Bruce sent me GREAT instructions that I started to do then messed something up (I'm sure it was something simple) but again never being a picture guy and recent experiences to not make me see the need I just keep putting it off. I really do apologize Bruce!
As I'm typing this every excuse in the book is running through my head why it needs to wait another day.
I need to stop procrastinating this thing. Heck I can work on the procrastination thing tommorrow!
Anyways I'm committing to getting this learned. Once I do it I know it's simple and it will be second nature to do. I do have a OK SM and LG mouth taken on flukes.
Everyone and anyone can BADGER me on this topic till you see pics from ME! Cause the excuses are already flowing!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.