Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-14-06, 06:08 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default I normally dont get this excited but......

I bought some Power Pro due to someones referral from this board. Dont remeber who it was but gotta say THANKS in a big way. This line ROCKS and I am sold on it so far. Got me the 50lb size and gave her a try yesterday and was VERY surprised with the handling. I aint new to spectra lines but I am new to a very manageable line that has ALOT of the charecteristics of mono and superior strenght.Cant wait to use it in the sho enough jungle I usually fish, Was throwing it with some cranks yesterday and the sensitivity I have with that line is just unheard off. Whoever it was that recommended this line once again THANKS and hats off to ya.
Old 02-14-06, 07:30 AM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Your welcome from HALF the members here LOL

Lizards
Old 02-14-06, 03:12 PM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

power pro ??? ....whats that, how's come I don't have it, where can i get it? and how's come 50# test??? ....i thought only folks in caifornia used that ?
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 03:35 PM   #4
creaid
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to creaid

Does this line only come in green? I thought about trying it but I'm a line watcher with my jig and Don't know if I would be able to see the green that good???? Thanks.
creaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 06:41 PM   #5
lizardsrule

PowerPro is the most useful, sensitive line, I've ever used. It comes I believe in 2 or 3 different colors. It's a braided line, that I use for just about everything, or Fireline, which is a Fused line. The reason for the 50lb test is because it's the same diameter as 12lb mono. It does float, so I guess some folks wouldn't use it for some applications, but to me it and Fireline are 2 of the better lines available. Try it and you'll like it. I prefer Powerpro for baitcasters, due to the fact it is much easier on backlashes IMO. The one downside to it is that it does dig into the rest of the line on the spool occasionally on hangups, or even a good hookset. Just have to pull the dig out, which is a easy thing for the qualities it gives you. If you really want to have a bright color, just use a marker to color it. It does change colors as time goes by, and some folks take a marker to re-color it(I could care less the color of it personally), but the line will last a long, long, long time.

Lizards
Old 02-14-06, 07:01 PM   #6
KenDammit

is it good in all different types of techniques or is there anything you wouldn't recommend using it for?
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 07:03 PM   #7
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

I was gonna get some at the kmart the other day. The monkey was sitting on my shoulder screaming in my ear telling me to buy everything i saw. I beat him off and resisted the urgeto buy everything
Old 02-14-06, 07:14 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDammit
is it good in all different types of techniques or is there anything you wouldn't recommend using it for?
When fishing Lake Erie the zebra mussels would shred it, so I used a co-polymer line instead, thanks to PJN's reccomendation. Other than that I use it for everything, if you believe that the line visibility is a thing to worry about(I don't but not gonna start that discussion again) then it would be probably a better choice of flourocarbon, or mono for very clear water.

Lizards
Old 02-14-06, 10:04 PM   #9
rrw4258

lizards,
i live right on erie, and do not have a prob. with zebra muscles, and braided line? Explain this more please...

Thanks

Ryan
Old 02-14-06, 10:55 PM   #10
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default power pro

to use the power pro 20 line? do u need a baitcaster specifically?
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 10:57 PM   #11
Kickin Bass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kickin Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinfishin9
I was gonna get some at the kmart the other day. The monkey was sitting on my shoulder screaming in my ear telling me to buy everything i saw. I beat him off and resisted the urgeto buy everything
LOL - happens to me all the time.
Kickin Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 11:33 PM   #12
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap
to use the power pro 20 line? do u need a baitcaster specifically?
No absolutely not. I have some loaded up on my spinning reels also, along with the Fireline. Again use it on anything you are using now. Just make sure the line diameter doesn't exceed the reels specs, ie if the reel says 6-10lb, then you need say 20lb Fireline or 30lb Powerpro since those are within that range, even though it's a lot stronger line. One note of caution, is that folks sometimes will try to pull hang-ups free using their rods at angles This stuff can and will break you rods, so pull straight back while holding the spool from slipping. DO NOT wrap it around you fingers or hand, unless you like pain and bleeding. And watch out when the lure/hooks come free.

Lizards
Old 02-14-06, 11:39 PM   #13
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258
lizards,
i live right on erie, and do not have a prob. with zebra muscles, and braided line? Explain this more please...

Thanks

Ryan
When I fished it for smallies in the deeper water, you would just drift dragging tubes/gobies etc... When drifting the line would come in contact with the zebra mussels, and start to cut it slowly, and literally shred the line. The co-polymer(combo of mono and flouro) had more flex so it wouldn't cut as easily. Flourocarbon did also work a little better, but it was also too stiff, and got nicked also.

Lizards
Old 02-14-06, 11:58 PM   #14
KenDammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
When fishing Lake Erie the zebra mussels would shred it, so I used a co-polymer line instead, thanks to PJN's reccomendation. Other than that I use it for everything, if you believe that the line visibility is a thing to worry about(I don't but not gonna start that discussion again) then it would be probably a better choice of flourocarbon, or mono for very clear water.

Lizards
nah, not a thing to worry about for me, most water in Kentucky is stained to muddy the majority of the time. Was just wondering how it felt on say, a spinnerbait, or a crankbait...and if you had to change anything in your technique to accomodate. Right now all I use is Yo-Zuri Hybrid, but Power Pro is more readily available(have to order Yo-Zuri off the internet).
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-06, 12:04 AM   #15
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
Your welcome from HALF the members here LOL

Lizards
He's right about that.

creaid, I use it for everything with a single hook, and have no problem seeing it-I'm a line watcher, too.
Old 02-15-06, 12:38 AM   #16
Rodman_Rob

lizards covered about every aspect of power pro. the only thing I can add is it seems as if they underrated their lbs test. I've used the power pro 10lbs and 20lbs. Both seems much stronger than previous 10 and 20 lbs tests from various other lines. I'd say the 20lbs test is closer to 40+. I was bending hooks and pulling trees outta the water like it was nothing. Its a damn good line if you're fishing some thick weeds and want something you can just yank the fish outta the water with.
Old 02-15-06, 05:45 AM   #17
1FASTLASER

A VERY VERY good point bout the pulling there lures free using this stuff. Cation is the keyword when getting a lure stuck. I use a short piece of broom handle and wrap the line around it to pull a lure free ifn my lure retrievers dont work. Like all braids and spectras this line will cut you severly and can snap a rod in a heart beat ifn you dont pay attention. So far I can accredit to fish to Power Pro that I dont think I woulda caught if I had been using mono or floro. The 2 bites I had where no more than a mere fly fart.
Old 02-15-06, 07:47 AM   #18
lizardsrule

Quote:
Was just wondering how it felt on say, a spinnerbait, or a crankbait...and if you had to change anything in your technique to accomodate.

Well I use a Medium power rod, with a moderate tip action on my cranks, because of the no stretch. I also set my drag a lot looser than any other rod. As any crankbait, I try not to horse the fish to the boat, due to them being the easiet lures for the fish to throw IMO. Nothing different for spinnerbaits for me, but you just can't beat the sensitivity you have, you feel every wobble of the crank, and every blade turn of the spinnerbaits. TRY IT, I promise you'll love it. The only person I have ever heard not like it was a guy who tried it for 2 outings, and thought it was to tough, he decided to give it another try and now doesn't use anything else. For Pitchin, and Flippin there isn't a better line out there, with the only exception being perhaps Fireline, only because it actually cuts through the weeds even better IMO.

Lizards
Old 02-15-06, 11:13 AM   #19
creaid
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to creaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
He's right about that.

creaid, I use it for everything with a single hook, and have no problem seeing it-I'm a line watcher, too.

Thanks, I will give it a try.
creaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-06, 03:35 PM   #20
Christopherkeene9

Quote:
Right now all I use is Yo-Zuri Hybrid, but Power Pro is more readily available(have to order Yo-Zuri off the internet).
Why do you have to order off the internet???

Sports Authority carries it.

Dont like the stuff though for offshore, too much memory and too hard.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-06, 03:37 PM   #21
Christopherkeene9

Florida sportsman also did a test on actual breaking strength of braid lines and it was 2 or more times the rated. ill dig it out here in a little bit and post it up.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-06, 04:45 PM   #22
Hawgin'
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinfishin9
The monkey was sitting on my shoulder screaming in my ear telling me to buy everything i saw. I beat him off
If you do that very often, not only will you not get rid of him, he will probably start following you around everywhere you go. I think I will just pay the money for tackle myself.
Hawgin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-06, 05:53 PM   #23
lovinfishin9

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

Hey, you're not supposed to mess with my sentences. When you erase that last part it doesnt sound very good.
Old 02-15-06, 07:23 PM   #24
bass kicker

did you get the line in hi vis yellow or moss green
Old 02-15-06, 08:03 PM   #25
Jackl

Default JackL

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT ever lock the spool on a baitcaster and pull a snagged hook loose. You will bend the spool ever so slightly and it will be out of balance until you replace the spool. Wrap the line around a short piece of wood, your fishing pliers or something that you can pull on to get it free.
Also, if you are going to use Power Pro for fishing crankbaits, you need to go to a very very slow action rod, or a fiberglass rod to keep from tearing the hooks out of the fish's mouth or tearing a large hole whereby he can throw the hook.

JackL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.