Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-17-08, 01:25 PM   #1
BassinBrits
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hello and Fla advice needed; please.

Hi there to y'all,

We luv our bass fishing and previously, have roamed your wonderful country with a fiver - bass fishing. Fantastic. One of our favourite spots was Paradise PFA nr Tifton GA. with 75 ponds/lakes

We've now been back in the UK for a few years but the pull of bassin couldn't keep us away. We're taking a vacation to Florida in Jan, Feb & March 2009.

We've initially for Jan booked into an RV resort on the Withlacoochee river nr Inverness. So we'd like to fish that area and then we're free to roam. Staying at motels, efficiencies etc.

But, where do we go to find some good bassin? Our restriction is we will not have a boat and we'd like to stay in Fla for warm weather etc.

If you can tell us some good ponds/lakes in Florida with some good bank fishing and if possible where the 'hot spots' are, we would much appreciate your advice.

We realise some of these places will be your own secret spots and ponds. So, if you don't want to mention them on the forum, please please PM the info.

Also, does anybody know of good bank fishing areas around the Inverness area?

We'd luv to meet any of you and exchange a few pints of cold beer for your local info and also to chat bassin.

In the mean time - tight lines

Jack & Doreen
BassinBrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 02:44 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Go to the fishing reports and there are several guides that list their lake
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 08:46 PM   #3
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

much of the withlacoochee is lined by homes. there are only a few spots you can publically fish from shore, and quite frankly, they aren't really great spots. you might be able to catch a few from those areas, but most of the good spots on the withla are only accessable by boat. lake rousoau (spelling?) which is part of the withlacoochee is a great bass lake. you might see if you can find a bass guide for a day or half a day to take you out. you might also check out Rodman Reservoir.
Old 09-17-08, 09:07 PM   #4
zooker

with the stock pile of anglers on this board from fl you all should get some decent answers..

zooker
Old 09-17-08, 09:09 PM   #5
WTL

There is a subtle irony in that yall will be fishing around Inverness. I've actually been to the real Inverness, maybe some day I will go back.

My first reaction is that yall are coming from so far away, I would get a guide and get in a boat (or try and rent a kayak?). The fishing would be so much more reliable. Most people in florida do fish from boats if they can get them in some way. At the same time, when I traveled to the UK in 02 I never forked out the money for a ghillie and I still had a great time discovering the land. There are so many small lakes in florida, especially in that area that I reckon you will be able to find shore fishing fairly easily. I wish I could give you a more specific location, but everytime I have fished Florida I had a boat.

BTW, if the water levels are low enough and yall do manage to commandeer a vessel, try the Suwannee river. Its a truly amazing river, one of the most beautiful I have ever seen anywhere.
Old 09-17-08, 10:12 PM   #6
bamabassman

ditto to what wtl said. and if you ever get here in the spring, come to guntersville lake in alabama. guides are available here as well. great bassfishing here.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 10:54 AM   #7
BassinBrits
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for your responses and I do understand that with a boat you can be catchin' rather than fishin'.

However, we want to fish virtually all the time we're visiting and although we'd luv a boat and guide our pockets aren't deep enough to employ one for 3 months. If we buy a boat we've got to tag it and either get a hire car with a tow hitch or buy a truck and tag it etc, problems, problems etc.

We're also a pair of happy retirees who can enjoy a laugh. But us in a canoe - we might as well laugh and start swimming now.

If we hire a guide and boat for a couple of days I think then we'd spend the remaining 90 days grieving that we couldn't have a boat/guide every day.

So, that's why we're hoping to find some good shore/bank fishing.

Thanks WTL for the encouragement that there are many small lakes around Inverness and I'm glad you enjoyed the Scottish Inverness. We're you trout or salmon fishing? Or trying to catch Nessie

Last edited by BassinBrits; 09-18-08 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-18-08, 11:22 AM   #8
rodman rat
BassFishin.Com Active Member

We like to fish the Withlacoochee at least twice a month and live north of the in Gainesville (we also have a boat) their are alot of palces in Fla to bank fish. I do not know how to PM but can give you great info. If you send PM I do know how to answer
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 03:57 PM   #9
WTL

I toured inverness. Casted a big streamer more suited for smallmouth bass in loch ness, got nothing - but I did catch several brown trout and what I later found out were salmon parr on the Isle of Skye. It took a few days and a little downsizing of the flies to get the hang of it, but after that it was a great trip.
Old 09-21-08, 04:07 PM   #10
bamabassman

bassinbrits if ya'll are EVER THIS WAY, call on me and a few others. we'd be GLAD TO take ya'll fishin with us.
Old 09-21-08, 06:57 PM   #11
BassinBrits
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
bassinbrits if ya'll are EVER THIS WAY, call on me and a few others. we'd be GLAD TO take ya'll fishin with us.
Thankyou for your very kind offer which is much appreciated and we'd love to meet up. I've sent you a PM.

Tight lines >))))0> ~ Jack & Doreen
Old 09-21-08, 07:41 PM   #12
bamabassman

sent you a reply pals.
Old 10-01-08, 06:21 PM   #13
lizardsrule

There are ponds everywhere, and some of them are actually fairly decent. I personally don't like to shore fish period in Florida, due to the abundance gators we have. I would look around the semi-coporate areas where you can possibly find a pond gold mine of fishing, and little chance of gators big enough to trouble you. You might want to spend some money on a house boat for a week instead of hotels though. Good bassing to ya, however I have no specific spots to reccommend in that area for bank fishing.

Lizards
Old 10-02-08, 10:31 AM   #14
BassinBrits
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
There are ponds everywhere, and some of them are actually fairly decent. I personally don't like to shore fish period in Florida, due to the abundance gators we have. I would look around the semi-coporate areas where you can possibly find a pond gold mine of fishing, and little chance of gators big enough to trouble you. You might want to spend some money on a house boat for a week instead of hotels though. Good bassing to ya, however I have no specific spots to reccommend in that area for bank fishing.

Lizards
Hi Lizards,

Thanks for your best wishes. Your idea of renting a houseboat for a week sounds great. Can you tell me of any Company or friend who we can hire from on a good lake? What's the cost roughly?
Old 10-03-08, 07:22 PM   #15
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinBrits View Post
Hi Lizards,

Thanks for your best wishes. Your idea of renting a houseboat for a week sounds great. Can you tell me of any Company or friend who we can hire from on a good lake? What's the cost roughly?
Well I usually fish somewhere on the St John's river for bass, or lakes attached to it. There are numerous places that will rent house boats, but I've never actually rented one, so I don't know about rates. I would suggest a search for Houseboat rentals on the St John's river and see what you might find. Also understand that I fish out of a 14' Aluminum flat bottom boat with a 15HP moptor and a trolling motor. I fish all the time, and have caught tons of bass(many bigger than folks that have lived in Florida all their lives just ask some of the guys here on this site). You don't have to have a big boat, so renting even a little john boat will work, "IF YOU FISH WHERE THE FISH ARE", and of course use the proper baits/techniques. In your situation shiners might not be a bad choice, and many times if you fish and can recognize certain types of areas, you can succeed very easily in catching fish. If you prefer artificials, then my best suggestion is to cover water until you catch one, then concentrate on that area for 30 minutes or so to see if more are willing to succumb to you bassin wiles. Then go baxck to cover water. If you cabn get hold of a boat, even a small one, then I can suggest a lake in the center of the state that definately produces some Hawgs, but is catch and release only. However it is not a numbers lake, but every bite could be the one you want. I'm just trying to tell you that if you are driving, and load up a john boat in the back of a truck with a charger and a troliing motor, you can find spots everywhere around to fish in. You can do that for very cheap in a used boat. And can fish places that those with big rigs can't even launch into. Just a thought. And I will admit, that you have as good a chance of catching that double digit bass here in Florida as anywhere in the world. Hope this helps, and I hope you catch the bass of a lifetime while here. Who knows, you might be like thousands of others, and decide that Florida is really a great place to not only fish, but to live too.

Lizards
Old 10-06-08, 05:59 AM   #16
BassinBrits
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
...............There are numerous places that will rent house boats, but I've never actually rented one, so I don't know about rates. The rates seem to be $1500 upwards per week. Too much for us.

I fish out of a 14' Aluminum flat bottom boat with a 15HP moptor and a trolling motor. I'm looking into that but most vehicle rental companies renting to foreigners, don't have trucks or compact cars with a hitch. If I buy a boat I will still need to get a licence etc - difficult for a foreigner with no permanent USA address

....................... "IF YOU FISH WHERE THE FISH ARE", I normally reckon 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. It's just working out where they're comfortable (temperature) and dining is good. Sounds easy but we all know it still can be difficult to find 'em

............ Who knows, you might be like thousands of others, and decide that Florida is really a great place to not only fish, but to live too. We'd love to live in Florida but basically America doesn't want British retirees living there unless you're millionaires, which we're not. Unless we can get a 'green card', unlikely we're both over 65, the maximum we can stay is 6 months each year - we're thinking about it, buying a trailer etc

Lizards
Thanks Lizards
Old 10-06-08, 01:27 PM   #17
WTL

It really is amazing how difficult it is for British citizens to move here and Americans to move there. Don't know why they make it like that, I woulda enjoyed the opportunity to work and live in the UK for a year or 2.

PS, thanks for taking Madonna off our hands. You can have Britney and Lindsay if you'd like as well.
Old 10-06-08, 02:26 PM   #18
BassinBrits
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
PS, thanks for taking Madonna off our hands. You can have Britney and Lindsay if you'd like as well.
Your generosity is overwhelming I'll give you Amy Winehouse

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.