Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-05, 05:57 PM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Bass Times

I have been receiving Bass Times for about a year, I subscribed shortly after joining B.A.S.S. At first I thought great, another fishing teaching item. I must say the more I read it(especially as I get more knowledgeable) I have become pretty much turned off by this Publication. I would estimate 90% of what is written comes from folks promoting their products. I think it is full of a lot of bunk to put it mildly. Yes they do have some important info on Conservation, and other issues concerning Bass fishing. But all the other bunk is nothing more than PAID Advertising. It's just like a lot of those ads anymore, that just try to tell of how this is the greatest thing, because John X used it and caught tons of fish. I of course am not planning on renewing unless of course I find some other fantastic reason to keep getting it?

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 06:04 PM   #2
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84
Default Re: Bass Times

I'm with you on this one. I got my renewal notice and threw it in the trash. Anymore, I head straight to the back where they have the recap on the tournaments. I like to read about the guys who placed in the tourneys and what techiniques they are using. Did you see that the winner of the non-boater division in one of the latest tourneys was from Avon, IN!! I think he's like 70 years old or something
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 07:22 PM   #3
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

If you don't like something, don't buy it. It seems simple enough to me.

Why would you be surprised that a magazine is full of advertising? That's what magazines do. They sell advertising. When I read something that says "I used a chrome plated whiz bang", I simpley read "I used a spinnerbait". What's the big deal?

B.A.S.S. is no worse than anyone else in the fishing business. Have you ever read the FLW Outdoors magazine? You want to talk about a "company rag"? Every outdoor writer I've ever read plugs the products he uses. We do it here don't we? The only difference is when I plug Carolina Skiff boats, they don't pay me. (Anybody at Carolina Skiff listening?)
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 09:34 PM   #4
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

Quote:
Why would you be surprised that a magazine is full of advertising? That's what magazines do. They sell advertising. When I read something that says "I used a chrome plated whiz bang", I simpley read "I used a spinnerbait". What's the big deal?
I haven't seen a Bass Times in quite awhile, but it sounds like he isn't complaining about a magazine selling advertising, it sounds to me like his complaint involves product promotion mixed in with what should be editorial material. That's the same complaint many people have about a number of the TV shows.

But I agree with your other point 100%: I ignore the pros' references to brand names and substitute the generic equivalent.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-05, 10:08 PM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Cajun,

Marty pretty much nailed it. I have no problem with advertising at all. I have a problem with pros telling you that you gotta have this brand of plastics to catch fish in cold water etc... Instead of saying you need to find a zipper worm, but heres what I use. They are promoting their products through their editorials about fishing techniques. I agree they got to have advertisers, but please, use your adds, not the editorials. I'll give you a example. In Field and Stream(my second favorite magazine), they had a writer go out to the mountains to intentionally get lost to see how well he could actually survive since he is always telling everyone in his column how to build fires, make canopies from tarps etc. Not once in the article did he say you gotta use brand x tarp because it's superior. But if it was in Bass times, about how to catch fish from a rock pile in deep water, they won't say use a Spoon, they say that Brand X is the best, which is their sponsor As a matter of fact they never use anything EXCEPT what they are being sponsored with. They are trying to promote their products in a way that's trying to hide the fact they are paid to advertise these products. Do they ever say and oh yeah by the way Brand X pays me 20k a year ??? Not likely, so they are promoting strictly on selfishness, not out of wanting to teach folks the way to do it, but by promoting this product as the best stuff in the world. Lets be honest, that's exactly what Bill Dance does on his show, and everyone else. I didn't see Bill ever use a Leverage Spinnerbait, but boy does he use his BOO YAH's, and Dancing Buzzbait. In the situation he uses these baits, most any Buzzbait would work, but his is what's putting cash in his pocket, and out of those folks pockets who listen to this BS. I here what you here, and that a Buzzbait will work, even though they promote brand X. Just get's me fired up with what I consider false advetising, and lies to sell there product. Am I gulible enough to think it doesn't happen everyday everywhere, well of course not. But it's very misleading IMO, and personally I think that's BS. Just my opinion, just like you have yours. But it does show the difference between a Writer who is paid to be impartial, and a Pro who is getting paid to sell there product. That's a HUGE difference IMO.

Lizards
Old 03-04-05, 11:51 PM   #6
Big_Drew
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Big_Drew

You ever notice how they don't tell you how to tell a quality bait from a poorly constructed bait. Or what brands you have to buy 3 of to get one that is tuneable to run straight. Or about what makes the difference between a good rod and one that isn't (it's more than just the material of the blank I'll gaurantee). I'm with you all. And There is another very popular publication the focusses strictly on bass fishing but once you've read a couple of season's worth of subscriptions, you'll be lucky to pull one usefull tidbit of information from it. Lures are made to catch fisherman, more than fish. You'll find 32 different flavors but only need five or six basic color patterns to consistantly haul bass. I agree with you all. Over comercialization is disgusting.
Big_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 01:20 AM   #7
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

Read any mag out there, fishing,drag racing,harleys.
It's all promo.........I would like any one to write me and article about how to fish and do not mention a single product.This story would be really boring.You would have to take alot of pictures instead.The reason i buy Bassin' ,Bassmasters,In-fisherman,Basstimes,FLW magizine or even come into this forum.It's to hear what the pro's and all of us
semi-pro's use and how to use.Name the brand,weight and color.Tell me the speed and depth.Is the water clear?All of us in here are doing a promo.......LOL

flippin4it

P.S. it was just a rant.
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 02:24 AM   #8
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Man. I'll be glad when winter is over. Maybe people won't have so much to......... shall we say "gripe" about. (Just pulling your leg Lizard)
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-05, 07:45 AM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=CajunBass link=board=MessBoards;num=1109969838;start=0#7 date=03/05/05 at 00:24:23]Man. I'll be glad when winter is over. Maybe people won't have so much to......... shall we say "gripe" about. (Just pulling your leg Lizard) [/quote]

Yeah I can't wait either. And I must say you are correct, I've noticed a bit more "Attitude" in myself lately Gotta try to keep it under control better :-[

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.