Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 02-02-10, 07:24 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Daiwa is definately up to something...

Ok, this year Daiwa brought out their Aggrest, which I understand was a bust sales wise. Now I'm hearing rumors of them discontinuing the brand new reel.

That, along with the discontinuation of the Viento, Sol, and Fuego, leaves a big gap in their line up around the $200 price. If the rumors of the Aggrest are true, that will leave the Advantage A ($160) up to the Zillion ($260).

With all the products that have hit the JDM scene, like the new Pixy, the new size of Ryoga (the JDM version of the Pluton) and all the rumors of new products getting ready to hit the JDM market, I can't wait to see what Daiwa has is store for the US domestic market.

BB
Old 02-02-10, 07:30 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think the reason the Aggrest didn't work is because it's on a Exceler frame. The Exceler is a nice reel for the money, (I have one) but it is a budget reel. It's hard to sell a reel at $180 when it's built on a $80 reel frame. I'm sure it's a great reel but people just aren't buying into it.

I am a Daiwa fan though so I hope they come out with something cool.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 07:50 PM   #3
Wishing2BFishing

They are releasing a JDM 2010 Pixy (all black).
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 08:18 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I think the reason the Aggrest didn't work is because it's on a Exceler frame. The Exceler is a nice reel for the money, (I have one) but it is a budget reel. It's hard to sell a reel at $180 when it's built on a $80 reel frame. I'm sure it's a great reel but people just aren't buying into it.

I am a Daiwa fan though so I hope they come out with something cool.
I kind of agree. I'm sure if they would have built it on the Zillion frame, it probably would have sold better. But I still think there must have been more to it... A reel doesn't seel just because of the frame it's built on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
They are releasing a JDM 2010 Pixy (all black).
The PX68 I think it's called. Looks sweet. I still love the 2004 yellow pear pixy.

Personally, I'm hoping for something on the zillion frame.

BB
Old 02-02-10, 08:36 PM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
I kind of agree. I'm sure if they would have built it on the Zillion frame, it probably would have sold better. But I still think there must have been more to it... A reel doesn't seel just because of the frame it's built on.
I don't know, that's the one knock on that reel I ever heard, "How great can it be? It's built on a Exceler frame." If I'm not mistaken it was the fastest reel on the market, as far as gear ratio, when it first came out, seems like that alone would have upped sales. For whatever reason though it definitely didn't catch on.

I agree that something else on the Zillion frame would be great! In my opinion that is the perfect size and shape!
Old 02-02-10, 08:43 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I don't know, that's the one knock on that reel I ever heard, "How great can it be? It's built on a Exceler frame." If I'm not mistaken it was the fastest reel on the market, as far as gear ratio, when it first came out, seems like that alone would have upped sales. For whatever reason though it definitely didn't catch on.

I agree that something else on the Zillion frame would be great! In my opinion that is the perfect size and shape!
At first, it (along with the 50th anniv zillion) was the fasted reel on the market with a 7.3:1 gear ratio. However, compares to Daiwa's 7.1:1, it reeled in like half an inch more per handle turn, approx. 32". And not long after Quantum came out with it's own 7.3:1 with an astonishing 34" per handle turn.

I do agree that the Zillion frame is near perfect though!

BB
Old 02-02-10, 08:57 PM   #7
Jrob78

BB I take it you are a Daiwa enthusiast too, were you feeling the Aggrest? I never handled one, never had too much interest in it and I can't really explain why. Any other Daiwa reel in that price range I would have been really into, or at least made it a point to handle one. For whatever reason I didn't feel that way about this reel and apparently I wasn't the only one.

Last edited by Jrob78; 02-02-10 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 09:11 PM   #8
BigBassin144

I've looked at, and had the chance at a JDM aggrest on ebay for 160, but I don't have the cash right now. I'll just save up for a zillion. or maybe a TDZ... someday.

BB
Old 02-02-10, 09:16 PM   #9
Bassboss

Same here! I just hope they do it soon, I can't wait to see them!
Old 02-03-10, 11:26 PM   #10
Wishing2BFishing

The PX68 I think it's called. Looks sweet. I still love the 2004 yellow pear pixy.

Personally, I like the aesthetics of the orange Pixy. Too bad they only made the orange model right-handed only.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 09:38 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post

Personally, I like the aesthetics of the orange Pixy. Too bad they only made the orange model right-handed only.
Yeah, that burnt orange color seems to be very popular. The red one look alright, but if I wasn't getting the 04 Pixy, I'd want the new one or Presso.

BB
Old 02-04-10, 11:06 AM   #12
Jrob78

The Pixy and the Presso are the ultimate in finesse, light bait casting reels!! I would love to have either.
Old 02-05-10, 08:44 PM   #13
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Yeah, that burnt orange color seems to be very popular. The red one look alright, but if I wasn't getting the 04 Pixy, I'd want the new one or Presso.

BB

I'm not real big on the burnt orange myself
Old 02-07-10, 03:50 PM   #14
LonewolfZ
BassFishin.Com Member

So they are bringing out a scaled down Pluton?
LonewolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.