Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-17-12, 03:57 PM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default trailer hub greasing

Do you have a rule of thumb on how often you grease your hubs. Is it something you do like every 500 miles or every 3 months. Basically what i do is 2 squirts on the grease gun every 3-4 months. But most of my fishing is within 20 miles of my house with an occasional round trip to Buggs Island which totals around 200 miles or so.
Plus on longer trips would you take grease gun with you and grease more often?
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-12, 04:23 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It's been so long since I have had to grease my trailer hubs that I can't really remember how often I did it. I want to say something like one shot of grease every 10 trips to the lake, and it was about an hour and a half trip one way to the lake. My last few boats have had the oil bath hubs and I like that greasing trailer hubs is one less thing I have to remember.
Old 02-17-12, 04:27 PM   #3
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have had all four bearings burn out on a 4 year old trailer. One wheel fell off and two sets of brakes.

I carry two sets of bearing and a spare tire and a fully assembled hub. One thing I have leaned in 4 years of roadside repairs is you can not have enough towels and grease to effect a repair. Not enough...

But in answer to your question too much grease is bad. It will blow the rear seal out.
Look at the grease and pump a bit in and watch for water displaced or dark or too light grease coming out.

Just wish for oil filled hubs someday.

Capt Mike
Old 02-17-12, 05:56 PM   #4
bamabassman

capt.....would it be safe to also add to make sure oyu are using the PROPER greese? marine grese, which is water resistant is what i use. also i would htink it depends on how often oyu are loading and unloading and wether it is mainly salt or fresh water. jsut another 2 pennies worth.
Old 02-19-12, 08:38 PM   #5
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

SYD

I have grease buddies I put grease in at the Begin of the year and at the middle of the year and if i am going on a long trip I fill them again and never had any problem.
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-12, 10:37 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Grease is cheap, and if you have easy access to your zerk fittings (as I do), I see no reason not to re-grease every couple of months during heavy fishing season. I know when I do mine, it doesn't take much to make the old grease start coming out, so I know the seal is pretty good. Instills a lot of confidence.
Old 02-20-12, 08:45 AM   #7
syd

Thanks for the feedback. I have my trip of a lifetime (as least so far ) to Kentucky Lake and i am trying yo think of anything that can happen. It is basically 600 miles each way. My plan now is grease them before leaving but thought probably should grease them for return trip also.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 12:08 PM   #8
Top Tiger

Think of the front wheel bearings on you car or truck. Same type of seals, same type of bearings. You don't repack them every 600mi. or every 3 or 4 rainstorms. If you have good brngs. and seals then you shouldn't need to repack but once a year and give em' a squirt through your "Buddy Bearings" every so often when you think it's right.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 01:19 PM   #9
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
it doesn't take much to make the old grease start coming out, so I know the seal is pretty good
Comming out where? If it's comming out the back of the hub, you've over greased it and forced that grease through the rear seal. Best thing to add, would be a set of bearing buddies. They have a ring in front that expands/contracts. When you can't see the ring you add grease until it expands - the ring will expand, indicating you're getting grease in the hub before you force it out the rear seal.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.