Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-29-10, 07:39 AM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Aluminum boat question

This is one those stupid questions that i should know the answer to but really don't.
I have a 17 ft aluminum bass tracker. My question is this. Is there a ground of some kind already in place or that i need to add to prevent getting hit by lightning. I was recently watching something on tv (swamp people on discovery channel) and they were talking about their aluminum boats being struck by lightning. I always head for the ramp or a dock when lightning is near but sometimes it could catch you off guard.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 09:40 AM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

No. Being out on the water in a small boat with lightening in the area is extremely dangerous, no matter if it's aluminum, fiberglass, carbon fiber, whatever. If you hear thunder or see lightening, get off the water NOW. You're the highest point while you're out there......you might as well have a bullseye on the top of your head.
Old 09-29-10, 05:41 PM   #3
CMorg

What if your too far away from the dock ? Head for trees ?? I mean seriously , what do you do , if you cant get back in time ? Do you just leave your boat at the dock and wait for it to quit , or do you try to load it up ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 05:52 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

Best idea is to get to the dock and leave it there till the lightening passes. If you can't get to the dock, at least head for shore, beach it, and get under cover. Of course, don't sit under the only tree in the field...get into the woods or somewhere non-lightening-attracting.
Old 09-29-10, 06:14 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

cmorg...YES RUN FOR THE NEAREST BANK THERE IS! get out of the boat. i have seen people who didn't for real. long time ago, one didn't make it the other was knocked out. storms are not to take likely. stay weather aware.
Old 09-29-10, 08:21 PM   #6
CMorg

This is all great advice. People should have a game plan if something like this were to pop up. I just talked to a guy that beached his boat once and hung out in someones old barn not far from the lake till the storm passed. Tied his boat to a tree on land.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 10:49 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Graphite rods make excellent lightning rods, get them out of your hand if you hear thunder or see lightning.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 07:52 AM   #8
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Oh i have done all those things. Tied up to abandoned docks etc. and got the heck off the boat. I am one of those who as soon as he even sees lightning takes the correct action to live to fish another day. The older i get the smarter i seem to get with stuff like this. I have sat on a dock for more than an hour more than once.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.