Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 11-11-11, 11:21 AM   #1
FishChamp
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trade or not to trade?

Looking for opinions to see if you guys think this is a good deal.
Trading my 1999 R83 with a 2006 Optimax for 2009 Champion 202 Elite with 17 hours on the motor. 11.5 for my trade 38.5 for the 202. The 202 has a 225 Proxs hanging of the back.
I'm really on the fence on this one. I guess it's a fair deal, not great, but just ok?
Thanks for any advise\opinions.
FishChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 12:03 PM   #2
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

I personally could not trade in my Ranger for a Champion or anything else for that matter but regardless, 9100 is average NADA retail for your boat less trailer and any added options and you are getting 11.5 off of a price of 38.5, so you are actually getting a good trade considering this dealer is selling one for 39,995.

If you are happy with it is all that really matters. Time of year, location & area market are going to dictate end price. NADA is simply a guide. Nothing etched in stone.

Good Luck!

(psst: keep the ranger....lol)
Old 11-11-11, 12:11 PM   #3
FishChamp
BassFishin.Com Member

THanks for in the input Ranger guy. I've owned both, and the ranger fishes better, and Champ runs better in the rough stuff. Just a trade off I guess.
What Ranger do you have?
Old 11-11-11, 01:50 PM   #4
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Ranger guy, lol that shoulda been my forum name. ha.

Yea there are alot of good boats out there. Its just like the "So do you like Ford, Chevy or Dodge" question, but I'll always be a "Ranger Guy".

I have a size down from you, its a 2000 R71 and I've did a bit of customizing to it to get it the way I want it. Its great to fish out of by yourself and will fit in alot of tight areas easily. I mainly fish on small to medium reservoirs and it works great and gets very good fuel mileage.

Last edited by Handlebars; 11-11-11 at 03:31 PM.
Handlebars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 02:54 PM   #5
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
the ranger fishes better, and Champ runs better in the rough stuff
That hasn't been my experience. I've ridden in both, and I think the Ranger is a better ride, over a Champion, in virtually every water condition except flat water. Then the Champ rides well and is considrably faster.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 03:40 PM   #6
FishChamp
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm really lookng for opinions on the trade value, not a discussion about R boats vs the ride and decide boats
But if you must, I've not only ridden in both, but have owned several of both for years and driven them both in all conditions. You truely have your boats completly reversed in your statement. R boats fish better and are faster on flat water, champs ride better and faster in the rough stuff.
I truely like both rigs for different reasons. But when it comes to trucks
Chevy all the way.
Old 11-11-11, 03:57 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok, my worthless 2 cents for ya pal.

what you are doing is trading for a NEWER model so it'll bring more the NEXT time you trade. i say go for it. that is IF this is what oyu are thinking. newer model DOES bring more for the next trade jus tlike in cars, trucks and so forth.

as which is the better rig.....NEITHER. hahaha, my old 97 RAJUN CAJUN has em both beat. (this is a joke ok?)
Old 11-11-11, 04:27 PM   #8
FishChamp
BassFishin.Com Member

Now your talking. I do appreciate that advice, and does make a lot of sense. What if my thinking is that this will be my last bass boat I buy, to last me the 10 -15 years?
in any case which bass boat is better question brings to mind thes words of advice. Enjoy and thanks for your input, I do appreciate it.

Remember, no matter what you get it's still a bathtub with a water cooled lawn mower engine on it!!!
And when you ask an open ended question like what Bass Boat would you buy, that just brings out the best in everyone!!!!!! And for the most part, the boat they have right now is the best boat, unless it's broke and they are looking for new one?

You really can't shop for a major purchase like this boat and use this kind of input. You would end up with a dozen boats and wish you had a dozen more. Or you get input like this "I am a proud owner of a basscat!! Go with a basscat." Hummm? I'm just gonna run out and get me one of those babies!!!!
My suggestion for your shopping:
1. Start off with, "All of these boats SUCK!". None of these bozo's build a rig I can jump rock piles, bounce off stumps, take 12 foot swells, and still drink my coffee while I run at 90 MPH. Now lets go from there.
2. Which of these crappy/overpriced rigs fit what I am going to use it for?
Casual fishing?
Tourney fishing?
Family and other?
3. Needs to handle rough water. OK, your skipping a flat rock over waves. They all suck at that. Some less than others.They all get you wet. (If anyone says they don't, they lie.) Which one appears to have held together after a couple years of pounding? Look at the splash well sides and where the transom meets the sides. Check for cracks on some of the rigs at the boat landings. Most everyone will let you look through the boat and tell you how good it is. (Don't point out the cracks. they don't like that.)
4. Get some rides at the ramp and make sure the wind is howling. Most everyone will give you a ride! Just don't ask to drive.
5. Don't buy a rig just because everyone else has one. This is a cattle trail thing. BASS switches sponsors and you see everyone dumping Rangers for Tritons, etc.... Moooooooo, don't follow the herd!!!!!! It leads to the slaughter house.....
6. Fiberglass or Aluminum construction? I have a 19' Xpress w/200, aluminum hull, and it sucks just as much as the rest of them. It goes plenty fast, gets me wet when it's rough, has plenty of storage (everyone says that?), comes with a lifetime hull warranty.
7. Horsepower? The bigger pig you get, the more HP to push it and stay up with your friends.
8. The trailer brakes are a good idea and it keeps your rig from passing you when you need to clamp down on the binders. The tandem trailer sucks even more. Now you have 5 more tires to take care of and can't move it by hand.
9. Get HYD steering! No cables. That way when it's broke, it's really broke! No if's.
10. Get the jack plate. Even if the "lot leach" at the dealership says you don't need it. He lies. That's his job. Know what you want before you go there.
11. Unless they are Woo Daves, people with sponsorship crap on their shirt got a couple bags of lizards for sewing it on (or maybe nothing?). Remember that when you talk to them. Bag of lizards??/ Opinion on bass boat=???
Be scared, very scared.....
Old 11-11-11, 07:57 PM   #9
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Fishchamp, first off welcome to the forum!
Second, don't hold back.......tell us how you really feel!
Good fishing to you and oh ya, where you from?
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 09:17 PM   #10
bamabassman

ok, fish.........now if it were ME and i was gonna make this purchase my LAST. sorry, it wouldn't be a champion nor a RANGER. it would be a PHEONIX. oyu asked.....sorry. i know,i know......VERY expensive. but to ME it is the best rig on the market. and if i was gonna spend the money (like i will EVER have it anyway,lol)......i owuld buy the best rig available. no holds barred, the pheonix is IN MY OPION ONLY, the best FISHING, PERFORMANCE,DURABILITY wise the best rig out there. motors come and go, but the boat ITSELF is the best out there i think. again, jsut my lousy 2 pennies worth.

i have had a ranger, 82 model years ago.i have also recently owned a stratos, stryker as well as the cajun i own now. of all of those mentioned, i LOVE my cajun. just wish i had enough money to PROPERLY restore her to her glory days. maybe one day...........maybe one day.
Old 11-11-11, 10:22 PM   #11
FishChamp
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome. I'm from MD area outside DC. Fish mostly the Potomac for fun. Tried the tourney thing and pretty much sucked at it. Anyway, I have heard good things about the Phenox. Really do not know anything about them. I thought they were pretty much a bee boat. I really do not like their graphics, but that would be the least of the problems I'm sure. What makes them so good?
There is dealer not to far from me. Maybe I should check it.
Old 11-11-11, 10:33 PM   #12
bamabassman

you should fish. NO WOOD wahtsoever in these boats. to steal a line from dodge...."we over built these boats, becasue we knew you'd over work em". and i like the graphics, except the ones on the nose. but ya can't see that from the casting deck. lol.
Old 11-12-11, 12:04 AM   #13
FishChamp
BassFishin.Com Member

You know what, I am going to do that. Much closer than going 6 hours to see the champ. And I agree, the only graphics I do not like is the one on the nose. Guess I'll be making some calls. thanks for the input. That's a great idea. I gotta get my head out of this champion I've been looking at. Give as many as I can a test drive. Boy that'll be something I've never done before.
Old 11-12-11, 12:09 AM   #14
FishChamp
BassFishin.Com Member

bama, you know you are making a lot of sense to me. Maybe you right about R boat and ride and decide boat thing. I've never ridden in a bigger R boat. Only the smaller ones. anyway. Phoenix boats will be on my list. Take my time, and do not rush into this, if it happens at all.
Old 11-12-11, 10:28 AM   #15
bamabassman

thar ya go bud. after all..........got all winter right? hahaha!
Old 11-12-11, 02:41 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishChamp View Post
My suggestion for your shopping:
1. Start off with, "All of these boats SUCK!". None of these bozo's build a rig I can jump rock piles, bounce off stumps, take 12 foot swells, and still drink my coffee while I run at 90 MPH. Now lets go from there.
2. Which of these crappy/overpriced rigs fit what I am going to use it for?
Casual fishing?
Tourney fishing?
Family and other?
3. Needs to handle rough water. OK, your skipping a flat rock over waves. They all suck at that. Some less than others.They all get you wet. (If anyone says they don't, they lie.) Which one appears to have held together after a couple years of pounding? Look at the splash well sides and where the transom meets the sides. Check for cracks on some of the rigs at the boat landings. Most everyone will let you look through the boat and tell you how good it is. (Don't point out the cracks. they don't like that.)
4. Get some rides at the ramp and make sure the wind is howling. Most everyone will give you a ride! Just don't ask to drive.
5. Don't buy a rig just because everyone else has one. This is a cattle trail thing. BASS switches sponsors and you see everyone dumping Rangers for Tritons, etc.... Moooooooo, don't follow the herd!!!!!! It leads to the slaughter house.....
6. Fiberglass or Aluminum construction? I have a 19' Xpress w/200, aluminum hull, and it sucks just as much as the rest of them. It goes plenty fast, gets me wet when it's rough, has plenty of storage (everyone says that?), comes with a lifetime hull warranty.
7. Horsepower? The bigger pig you get, the more HP to push it and stay up with your friends.
8. The trailer brakes are a good idea and it keeps your rig from passing you when you need to clamp down on the binders. The tandem trailer sucks even more. Now you have 5 more tires to take care of and can't move it by hand.
9. Get HYD steering! No cables. That way when it's broke, it's really broke! No if's.
10. Get the jack plate. Even if the "lot leach" at the dealership says you don't need it. He lies. That's his job. Know what you want before you go there.
11. Unless they are Woo Daves, people with sponsorship crap on their shirt got a couple bags of lizards for sewing it on (or maybe nothing?). Remember that when you talk to them. Bag of lizards??/ Opinion on bass boat=???
Be scared, very scared.....
Not really sure if I should jump in on this one or not because I absolutley love my Triton lol. I will say this and try to remain unbiased.

Riding in all the brands that you are thinking about is the only way to be sure your getting the boat you want. What layout and storage options I love you might hate, that's just how we are as anglers. Nothing wrong with that and luckily there are lots of choices to choose from so everyone can get what they want.

I disagree with you saying tandem axle trailers suck. Yes you do have two more tires to keep an eye on and replace when needed. But man they pull so much easier and make towing your boat so much more comfortable. I had a single axle trailer on my Ranger and I now have a tandem axle trailer on my Triton and even though my Triton is much bigger and heavier it pulls much easier. On the other hand if you don't tow long distances then it's probably not worth the extra cost to you.

I will try and stay out of the brand bashing deal, but I will say this. I have owned a Ranger, and it was only a 19' boat but it was the worst riding boat I have ever been in. It fished great but it's wasn't overly fast and would beat you to death in rough water. I have fished a lot out of 3 Champion models including the 210 Elite and 198CX. The 198 is a horrible ride. It's rougher than my Ranger was and is the wettest ride I have even been in on the water, even in fairly smooth conditions. The 210's were both good rides and really dry. The only thing I don't like about the 210's is that the bow of the boat sits so high out of the water while fishing, it's like a big sail that catches the slightest bit of wind and it makes fishing windy points or banks a struggle. I have to throw this out there too even though you didn't ask and I am not pushing my brand of boat on you, I just have experience with a Triton and I thought I would share my opinion on it incase you might be interested. My 21X rides every bit as good as the Champion 210's and fishes way better. It doesn't catch near as much wind and there is way more room on the front deck than in the Champions because your rods strap down farther back on the deck which means you don't have to worry about where you step as much. In fact I actually have to walk back towards the consoles a little bit to get to my rods when I want to switch. The Triton is quite a bit more tippy though when you have a guy in the back that walks from one side to the other. That is honestly the only thing I don't like about my Triton.

Now I see your interested in Phoenix. They make a good boat. I have yet to ride in one so I can't speak for the ride but I hear great things. I have crawled around in them at boat shows though and the fit and finish is awesome and the layouts are perfect. The also have neat features like the snake light and the lazy susan type tackle tray. As for the graphics under the bow that you don't like, if you get lucky you can find one that was ordered with those stripes being the same color as the hull so you can't see them.

Good luck in your search for your last boat. And since you asked our opinions on your trade I will give you mine. Go for it. You only live once and if you can afford it then you won't regret it. And between a Champion and a Ranger I would take the Champion any day of the week.
Old 11-12-11, 07:49 PM   #17
bamabassman

i have to agree with kory about the tandem axles, i have them on mine and it IS so much easier to tow. AND if oyu blow a tire, oyu at least won't ruin the rim by having that "extra" tire in front or back. to take the load. otherwise, oyu'll be buying an extra rim, maybe even a hub or p[ossibly and entire axle. someting to think aobut for sure.
Old 11-17-11, 11:38 AM   #18
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
That hasn't been my experience. I've ridden in both, and I think the Ranger is a better ride, over a Champion, in virtually every water condition except flat water. Then the Champ rides well and is considrably faster.

i guess it depends what Hull you were rideing in the 520 or the "v" series? i swear by the 520 and love it i run a 2001 and if the economy was better would be upgradeing... cause there makeing them again
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.