Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-05-12, 06:48 PM   #1
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default took my boat out today

well it was 45 degrees today so i decided to try my new boat out. its a 93 stratos 201 xl pro with a 225hp johnson venom outboard. it runs beautifully but i did notice my steering was almost impossible to turn. i unhooked the suspected cable and sure enough it works great with only the 1 cable hooked up. any1 no where to get a cable like this? also i assume ive got to get it out of the metal piece with the gears (rack). another problem is that the front end of the boat comes up extremely high.. like way more than any boat ive ever been on. it gets on plane but when i slow down the water wants to go over the engine bc even at extremely slow speeds the boat is pointing really high. i think the jackplate need to be adjusted. i need to know wether i need to raise the engine up or lower it down on the jack plate. trim doesnt seem to help. other than that ive got everything working great and im very happy with my $2400 boat so far. thanks guys
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 09:57 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I can't help you with the steering cables, hopefully someone who can will be along soon.

For the nose reaching for the sky when you take off. Are you making sure that the motor is trimmed all the way down before taking off? If the motor isn't all the way down then this is probably your problem. Before anyone can tell you whether or not you need to raise or lower your jackplate you will need to measure your engine height. The engine height is how many inches your prop shaft is below the pad of the boat. Here is a link that will show you how to measure your engine height http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=700838 .
Old 02-06-12, 10:39 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As for the cable its printed on it what length it is and need to know what steering it like teleflex(most likly) and any of the catalogs that have marine eq or any boat dealership will carry it.
As for the jackplate its job is setback for cleaner water and height generally determined by water psi and or boat handling qualities,stock gear case start at 4 in under pad raise 1/4 at a time until desired psi is obtained . 15 psi as a general,gauge necessary or dont attempt raising.My venom popped up quickly on several boats-21 ft glassport and on another 22 ft jaguar was 100 yard dash a whale tail cured it.
Foot throttle helps bring nose up and down some and trim under gets one up then tilt up some to best position,all on a button on shift lever on the control box generally red. Best bet is get someone that can drive a boat show you.
Ill have to go look I saved a cable had it 6 or 7 years never installed they cost a pretty penny.But getting up is mostly tilt trim little to do with jack plate sometimes with prop but mostly in slip not over trim.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-06-12 at 10:56 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 01:28 AM   #4
oglejust

ive driven a lot of ski boats but never a bass boat, a guy that has had bass boats told me his was the same way. another guys said to drop the engine down a little to make it more stable, he said ppl raise them to get a few more mph out of em.
Old 02-07-12, 02:00 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglejust View Post
ive driven a lot of ski boats but never a bass boat, a guy that has had bass boats told me his was the same way. another guys said to drop the engine down a little to make it more stable, he said ppl raise them to get a few more mph out of em.
That is not always the case. Yes usually you will raise a motor to get more rpms and more speed. But if it is already too low then lowering it more can hurt your stability. There is a range where you will get all around better performance out of your rig (including holeshot), and once you get within that range you will want to fine tune it to get to the sweet spot. Without knowing where your motor is right now it's just too hard to say whether you need to raise or lower your motor. Most of the time when people have holeshot problems their motor is too low and it needs to be raised up. If it is blowing out during the holeshot then you will need to lower the motor, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are dealing with.
Old 02-07-12, 10:43 AM   #6
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Like C-rig said, there's no way anyone can say "Do this and your setup will be perfect"....every boat is a little different. Engine height is a big part of getting the best performance. A good starting point is usually about 3.5" below the pad...use that link C-rig posted to find out where yours is, and adjust to about 3.5" below. If you have a water pressure gauge, make sure you're getting at least 15 pounds when you're up and running wide open.
As far as the bow coming up on takeoff, every bassboat does that to some extent. With most I've been in, you can't see in front of you when you take off. Then once you get up on plane, the nose drops back down, then rises again as you trim up farther to get best speed and handling.
When coming off plane, you'll get backwash over the transom if you just let off the gas and settle down to a stop. The trick is to keep an eye on the backwash wave, and bump the throttle right before it gets to you. That bumps the boat forward ahead of it just a tad and lets the wave crest and fall without coming over the boat.
Old 02-07-12, 11:17 AM   #7
oglejust

sorry c-rig i hadnt seen ur post till now, ill measure sometime this week
Old 02-07-12, 09:33 PM   #8
bamabassman

there is a thread as to "HOW TO SET UP THE TRIM" or something like that on here ogle. if 1fastlaser were still on here, he would get you where oyu need to be on that problem buddy.
Old 02-07-12, 11:37 PM   #9
skeeter1804

It could be a motor height problem. A buddy bought a boat last year that was pointing to the sky on take off, it seemed to be running fine but I poured a bottle of Seafoam in the fuel and within 10 minutes of running it it planed out really quickly. It's cheap and worth a shot.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.