Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 06-28-06, 11:32 AM   #1
TennesseeBassGuides
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Old Hickory

Old Hickory 6-23-2006
I spent 6 hours today with Mr. Ken Jenkins on the lower end of Old Hickory Lake. This is the 4th time that we have fished together but the first on the lower end of the lake. One thing I really enjoy being able to do as a full time fisherman is to help clients learn various aspects of Bass fishing. It's rewarding to see people become more confident in their abilities. But today the roll was switched and I became the student. Ken and I met at 6:00am at the Avondale ramp with one mission in mind and that was to enter as many productive GPS waypoints as possible and tweak my understanding of my unit. Ken is very efficient and productive on the lower end of the lake. Not only is he a good open water fisherman but he also has a vast knowledge of GPS systems and I soaked up as much as possible today. We spent 3-4 hours working everything from Bluegrass down to the dam and then the next 2 hours relaxing and catching fish. Ken said "I've got a place right down here where we can catch a fish or two". In that two hours Ken and I caught 4 Smallmouth-6 Kentucky's and at least a dozen Largemouth. Most of our fish today came on the jig/finesse worm or a jig. The fish were relatively shallow and as things began to heat up we got on a decent dock pattern. Ken I appreciate you taking time today to share your knowledge with me and as always I enjoy spending a day in the boat with you. Rick McFerrin www.tennesseebassguides.com
Old Hickory 6-21-22-2006
Wednesday Daniel and I fished with good friend Devon Sutherland on Old Hickory from 5:00am to 9:00am. The bite today was tough to say the least...well let me rephrase that. The bite was tough for Devon and I, we had 5 bass combined. But Daniel on the other had had 12 on a variety of baits from Prowler Soft Shads www.prowlerlures.com to crank baits and Secret Weapon Spinner Baits www.secretweaponlures.com. No big fish but Daniel did had 4 that was good solid keepers. The fish just weren't in the grass the way they have been and truthfully in the 4 hours we were on the lake I didn't get it figured out. Do you ever replay daily events that happened over and over at night? Well when I have this type of thing happen on Old Hickory it really bothers me. When it stops bothering me is when I'll quit. So one more or less sleepless night behind me I met Mr. Warren Smith at the ramp this morning at 4:15am. This is the 3rd time that Warren and I have fished together and he is a real pleasure to be out in the boat with....Good fisherman-good guy and a hard worker in the boat. I explained what had happened the day before and just to make sure I checked out some of the same grass to see if anything had changed. Still a tough grass bite. My next move was to find out where they had moved to, which took me about 3 hours....but then we found that the fish had moved to the second breaks away from the grass and out in more open water and they would gladly slam a crank bait. Warren and I caught and released over 30 Largemouth and multiple white bass with some very good fish. Warren is holding one of them in the picture to the left. Just before we loaded up I lost the largest fish of the day on a crank bait. I had her on long enough to get a great look and yell Warren you better get the net for this one. It use to bother me when fish like that got off....but she was just better than I was today....But there is always next time God willing.....Rick McFerrin www.tennesseebassguides.com
Old Hickory 6-19-2006

What a great day on the water yesterday with Mr. Steve Finch. Steve recently bought a "Summer Special Combo Trip Package" with us and fished with Mike last week and with me today. You can see Mikes report below. I explained to Steve that an early start was critical lately and he met me at the ramp at 4:30am We quickly loaded the boat and started out in the cover of darkness. We were sitting at our first stop well before daylight and took advantage of that to let Steve get use to my equipment. Being a veteran angler it didn't take Steve long to zero in on and within 10 minutes after first light Steve is holding his first fish of the day (Picture left) that he caught on a Secret Weapon 1/2 Ounce White Spinner Bait www.secretweaponlures.com out of the grass. What a beautiful fish and when he lashed at Steve's bait it sounded like a bowling ball dropped out of the sky. For the day Steve and I caught and released well over 30 largemouth caught on a variety of bait from the spinner bait to a Prowler Soft Shad and 7 inch Screw Tail Worms www.prowlerlures.com dipped in JJ's Magic www.jjsmagic.com and shallow running crank baits. When the fish stopped chasing the spinner bait it took just a little bit of adjusting on our part but we were right back in the fish. Steve I had a great time with you yesterday and I look forward to our next trip.....If your in the Murfreesboro area stop in at Murfreesboro Out Doors at 2204 North Broad. Randy carries all the baits we talk about on this site. Rick McFerrin www.tennesseebassguides.com
TennesseeBassGuides is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.