Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-15-12, 08:37 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Is this guy full of crap?

Chad Bauer says, "bass love bird crap".
The jest of what was said is, 'If you spot a bunch of birds swiming on the water you should boat up fast scareing the birds and when scared and taking flight they crap all over creating a bass feeding frenzy'. He in fact caught a bass on the next cast after moving the birds.
This is the first time I've ever heard such a thing!
Do they like all bird crap or just gulls?
I know of lakes that have so many geese when walking to the bank it's like walking on pea gravel, only it's goose s***!
Should this or these bodies of water be bass hot spots?

I never heard a crazier idea in my life!
Or am I the one who's crazy?

So what do you think? ( the crap idea, not my craziness)
Old 02-15-12, 09:03 PM   #2
bassboogieman

I don't know, but does a bass know it's bird crap before it inhales it? Maybe it looks like a food shower initially - manna from heaven, won't know until you take a bite. For that matter can there be much difference in taste between bird crap and a worm? I don't know but I'm definitely not volunteering for a taste test.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 09:22 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

I saw that episode and he might just have been crackin a joke. I could swallow the theory that a group of birds rooting around could draw baitfish yada yada yada
Old 02-15-12, 09:51 PM   #4
Hef
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I dont know so much about the bass eating the birds crap, but usually where you find birds (who are eating small baitfish) the bass are nearby too. Usually for the baitfish, not for the poo.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 03:00 AM   #5
islandbass

I would suppose it's possible as there isn't much a bass wouldn't try to eat it they thought it was a treat.

But perhaps the fast approaching boat literally, and pardon the pun, scares the crap out of the flock of birds as they dash away. They were probably targeting bait fish that were near the water's surface.
Old 02-16-12, 09:31 AM   #6
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
I dont know so much about the bass eating the birds crap, but usually where you find birds (who are eating small baitfish) the bass are nearby too. Usually for the baitfish, not for the poo.
THIS^^^^^^ Follow the birds.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 10:35 AM   #7
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
THIS^^^^^^ Follow the birds.
x2 Birds=bait=bass
Old 02-16-12, 10:58 AM   #8
lilmule

Move the boat over fast enough one gets to clean it,fish and minnows love it as well as hippo poop.But each in reality following their food source.
The minnows micro organisms and the birds and bass the minnows,the droppings make the micro grow a tad better but a timed thing,they wont consume much in original form,unless its greenery refined.
Unless somewhere like africa,where nutrients are slim and none other than themselves.
Poor hippos cant even go in peace,and often get help with its removal,the nile croc being also a constant companion for the fish.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 11:05 AM   #9
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

They must not like Buzzard crap..... one of my favorite bass lakes has a spot where dozens of buzzards roost in a small pine thicket near the lake. Every morning when we fish there in the summer the buzzards fly off their roost in the early morning and land in the timber in the waters edge. While sitting there they shower the water with droppings. We have never caught a bass in this location despite all the good timber, logs, etc. Have only caught bass there during other times of the day when the buzzards are not present.

Guessing as someone stated they are there for the baitfish the gulls are after... not the bird droppings....
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 05:18 PM   #10
bassinbob

Buzzard crap is some serious stuff. You better hope one never unloads on you or your vehicle. I have never seen birds other than ducks, geese or gulls on the water in a large flock.
Old 02-16-12, 05:58 PM   #11
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i watch for the egrets all day long. if they are out at one spot, they're getting dinnner. so i slowly glide over towards them trying not to make em jump. cast as much as i can till they take off screaming like a banshe. which in turn runs off the baitfish i think. yes...follow the birds.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.