Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-09-12, 10:07 AM   #26
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Watterboy

Had that happen with two of them and still had no ptoblem. My one big concern is they were not big fish. I have had a problem with that side of bass fishing
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 11:03 AM   #27
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysgthard View Post
Watterboy

Had that happen with two of them and still had no ptoblem. My one big concern is they were not big fish. I have had a problem with that side of bass fishing
That's great for you. All I can say is good luck with it. I don't plan to use it again any time soon.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 03:36 PM   #28
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

I used 10lb. Nanofill on a size20 spinning reel with weightless plastic-3to4 inch grubs.
I fish Blue River in Indiana. The line helps me reach distances not possible with other lines.. I tried different knots tied to each side of a swivel with the other end wrapped around 2inch dowels. The knot with the least strength breaks first.
The knot I use is not the Palamar.
This line is not the best for all uses but very good for specific situations.
Brian E Brightwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 04:47 PM   #29
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm curious how many lbs of force you are putting on the NanoFil to break it? I've never broken 10lb NanoFil while fishing... I have broken it in my garage giving it considerably more force than I could ever achieve with a fishing rod. I've learned to leave at least 1/2" of tag line on my knots as the line will slip if not tightened to extreme.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 08:45 PM   #30
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

I have no idea how much force it is taking to break the line. I am just comparing one knot to the other.
It might make me a geek but it is interesting.
Old 04-25-12, 10:23 PM   #31
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian E Brightwell View Post
I used 10lb. Nanofill on a size20 spinning reel with weightless plastic-3to4 inch grubs.
I fish Blue River in Indiana. The line helps me reach distances not possible with other lines.. I tried different knots tied to each side of a swivel with the other end wrapped around 2inch dowels. The knot with the least strength breaks first.
The knot I use is not the Palamar.
This line is not the best for all uses but very good for specific situations.
So what knot do you use since you said you don't use a Palomar?

What specific situations is this line good for?

I would love to use this line because it casts better than anything I've ever seen, but I can't stomach breaking off bass on a moderate hookset multiple times...especially when I've read about others having the same problem.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 10:28 PM   #32
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

WatterBoy, to this point the Berkley Braid knot works the best for me. I got hung on a log last night and it took a lot to break the line.
I can cast 10lb. Nano as far as I can 4lb mono with weightless 4inch grubs. Works well wade fishing the small rivers when you don't want to fish deep.
Old 04-26-12, 08:16 AM   #33
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have a spool of 12lb on a 2500 Symetre and a spool of 8lb on a 20 size Pfluegar and have had good success in both cases. I think one of the main things for me has been to pull test my knot after I've tied it. I'm using a plain palomar knot, sometimes with a leader sometimes without. The stuff casts a mine and is very sensitive since it has no stretch. I was skipping a senko under docks last weekend and pulled a 4.5lber out with the 8lb even after playing tug-o-war back and forth across a support bar. The line was frayed up but I don't know of many 8lb lines that would have even held? I have to remind myself that I don't need to cross their eyes on the hookset or I'll jerk it out of their mouth like when fishing with braid.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 10:02 AM   #34
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

What do you guys think about using nanofil with a fluoro leader for drop shotting?
Shake n' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 10:35 AM   #35
joedog

I've never used it but the thread sounds alot like threads on Berkley Vanish.
Knot strength is a big challenge on Vanish, similar to the Nano challenge.
Some folks still swear by Vanish, to each thier own.
Line seems to be more of a personal preference than anything in the fishing arsenal.
Old 04-26-12, 03:03 PM   #36
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

Yes joedog, I agree. The Nanofill fills a niche for me. I wanted an extra 20-30 feet or so to reach across the river with waitless plastic and I got it with Nano. I will probably will use it other places too.
Old 05-07-12, 02:23 PM   #37
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n' Bake View Post
What do you guys think about using nanofil with a fluoro leader for drop shotting?
OkobojiEagle uses a fluorocarbon leader with Nanofil as his main line. (He prefers an Alberto Knot instead of a Double Uni knot to connect the 2 lines.)

I've heard other people only use FC as a leader in clear water when line visibility is an issue. From what I've read the line visibility of Nanofil doesn't seem to be any more of an issue than with any other braid or mono.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 05:03 PM   #38
joedog

I was going to start a post on a similar line that eliminates the negatives mentioned and has all the positives wanted.
I decided to post it here instead. I've used this line since 2009. I am not a line expert but after all the lines I've tried over the years this has proven great for me. I literally have tried at least 50 different lines...including mono, braid, fluoro and fluoro-hybrids. Yes I still try the 'yearly' new lines even though I'm happy now...I was also happy with old choice before trying this line.
I use this line on baitcasters and spinning...everything but frogging which I use braid.
The only line breakage I remember in all this time (very, very rare) happened at the knot...so guess who's fault this probably was? Oh and a few due to some putz not retying when he knew he should and was going to but what harm can a few more casts make?
I personally would match it with any mono for 'limpness'.
It sinks like a true fluorocarbon.
Hybrids have a rep for not being true fluor and just a mask sort of. This line doesn't have layers rather co-extruded process as opposed to layering.
The FH (Fluorohybrid) to me handles and feels the same as the FHP (FluorohybridPro) but I'm not a tourney guy. I do use both mostly because the Pro had a 12lb. US and the other has 10 and 14, which I also use both.
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/..._Pro_and_100_f

Now this is an old post from another forum but really explains well in simple language.
The Pro is now off the market due to manufacturer challenges but the LFTlures folks tell me that they have even a better Pro line designed tested and coming but probably not till next season. www.lftlures.com. The line goes under a name 'Paralleluim' it's made in Europe somewhere for LakeForkLures, for those who want to investigate further.
As mentioned in the guides post, I guess they also have a great Fluoro made differently than most fluoros. I've never tried it but have heard good things.
I have never read a single poor review from anyone, pro or amatuer or me.

Downfalls, you'll never find it in a store. You can only get it online. Maybe you Texas folks can find it down there but I've found no where. The line is originally from Europe so it comes with an ISO measurement and a US diameter reading for comparative marketing. So a 20 lb. ISO compares in diameter to a 14lb Us measure but has breaking point at 20lbs. So when ordering BE VERY CAREFULL THAT YOU GET A US MEASUREMENT OR AT LEAST COMPARE WITH THE CHART
ISO lb Test

7lb

10lb

14lb

20lb

26lb

32lb

37lb

US lb test

5lb

7lb

10lb

14lb

20lb

22lb

25lb

Inches

Millimeters

Easier chart at warehouse site
Good news,

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lake_...ge-LFFHFL.html

...now the description is wrong in ad...' an advanced coplymer inner core with an outer layer of premium fluorocarbon.' but a better price than ordering direct thru LFLures but for questions call LFlures cause they know the line best and are very helpfull. If you order from Tacklewarehouse please come back and go through the link at top of 'OUR' forum and Kevin will get credit.

This is not a push by any means what-so-ever but after hearing at ALL sites the same complaints I felt I should share. I should add that at the season start this year I had a challenge and didn't fresh spool my reels but this line seemed to have absolutly NO handling differences this year at all, in fact I'm just now respooling some due to line usage (retying ect.) and not line condition......Yes I was amazed too!
Remember...nanofil floats these lines don't. I think the sink rate is slower but sinks all the same. Ok for frogs but not poppers.

Have fun, catch fish, be safe....awe heck...just catch fish and have fun.
Old 07-07-12, 10:12 AM   #39
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

After testing many knots many times, the best knot I have found is the reverse improved clinch. Another name may be the Pitzen knot with two turns through the eye.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.