Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-12, 10:32 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default What do yall like for mono and copoly?

Wanna try a new line for my top water/spinnerbait rod... got some CXX on it now, but just wanna try something new.

Mostly fish around pretty thick grass, and some rocks here and there, so a line with decent abrasion resistant is good.

What'll it be boys?
Old 02-01-12, 11:05 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01

For mono I have tried a lot of lines and I have yet to find one that I like as well as Sufix (I like both Elite and Seige).

For Copoly their are a few lines that I like. P-Line CX, CXX, Evolution, and Voltage are all great lines.
Old 02-01-12, 11:33 PM   #3
pointer
BassFishin.Com Member

P-Line CXX for topwaters and P-Line CX for everything else, for me.
pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 11:35 PM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I basically agree with Kory 100%. I like Sufix Elite for mono and P-Line for copoly. I use CX the most but also use CXX, Fluoroclear and Voltage.
Old 02-01-12, 11:38 PM   #5
Tavery5

I don't use much mono, but for copoly I use the P-line products mentioned above, CX, Fluoroclear, and Voltage.
Old 02-01-12, 11:53 PM   #6
bassinbob

Are they discontinuing the CX? Just started to use it last year and really like it. Dick's isn't restalking it around here and didn't see it in the new BPS book.
Old 02-02-12, 12:06 AM   #7
keithdog

I really like P Lines Flouroclear, but I've been using both the Sufix Elite for crankbaits, and Seige for spinnerbaits. I've never tried cx or cxx. One copoly I really like is Bagley Silver Thread. But it's very hard to get my hands on it now, and I think they did away with the green colored version which is what I prefer most of the time. One thing I really like about the Sufix Seige and Elite is that I can get them in 330 yard spools. Thats about perfect for filling 3 reels from scratch without much waste.
Old 02-02-12, 12:13 AM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Are they discontinuing the CX? Just started to use it last year and really like it. Dick's isn't restalking it around here and didn't see it in the new BPS book.
I hope not, that's my bread and butter. I have seen it on clearance though, I was hoping they were just moving old stock.
Old 02-02-12, 12:47 AM   #9
bassboogieman

I haven't used mono for a couple years. Last one I did use was McCoy's Mean Green.
Co-poly, I prefer YoZuri hybird in green or smoke. I've also tried the P-Line fluroclear, but have returned to the YoZuri and use it on most casting reels (braid for jig & frog).
Spinning - I tried the YoZuri Ultrasoft and it's good in lighter test, but actually prefer braid for spinning set-ups.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 12:54 AM   #10
joedog

I don't use mono at all any more.
I use Parallium almost exclusively, after trying what seems like hungreds of different lines.
This is a Flourohybrid, so I use it instead of 100 percent floro. Personaly I can see maybe a little more but have seen absolutly NO difference in catch rate. Frankly I use braid and Paralleluim almost exclusively.
Para casts like mono even in cold water. Actually use less line conditioner since beginning use of Paralluim.
Some of you may want to give it a try.
Plus it sinks, the Pro a little faster than standard.
Old 02-02-12, 07:58 AM   #11
kennethdaysale

+3 on the Sufix Elite and Seige. I like the green most of the time. Interesting to see so many people that don't use mono anymore. I am all for better/stronger/tougher/sensitiver/invisibler/limper/castabler line. I am as prone to over thinking and over analyzing line variables and choices as anyone, but I can honestly say that I don't recall saying to myself " I didn't hook that fish because of mono" or " I didn't get that fish to the boat because of mono" or " this lure is underperforming because of mono" etc very often. Besides that, all the low-stretch hype doesn't hold water in my unscientific-low tech field tests. Tie equal diameter mono and fluoro to a fixed object- walk off a half cast distance and pull on both of them--low stretch my A$$....imho
Old 02-02-12, 07:36 PM   #12
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Another big fan of P-line. Their new C21 stuff is great. It's more supple like the the cx premium but really strong like the xtra strong. I've used the 8lb on a spinning rod and 17 on a jig rod and like both sizes really well.
For mono orginal Stren has been good for me but I've been really impressed with Mustad Ultra line. It doesn't seem to work that well for plastics/jigs but moving baits like spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and treble hooked lures it has been great. I got 10 1 pound spools for $10 apiece and it has worked great for me. A friend of mine had some on his crankbait rod and drug a huge log up off the bottom with 10lb test, didn't retie and caught a 12lb flathead catfish his next cast. Wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 10:19 PM   #13
bamabassman

mono. don't use anything cept mono and braid.
Old 02-03-12, 07:10 AM   #14
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For A heavy abrasion resistant line I either use Trilene Big Game, or I use Heavier rated P-line CX for Top Water. Spinner baits I'm using 15 to 20 lb. Invis-X for the most part.
Old 02-03-12, 09:09 AM   #15
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
+3 on the Sufix Elite and Seige. I like the green most of the time. Interesting to see so many people that don't use mono anymore. I am all for better/stronger/tougher/sensitiver/invisibler/limper/castabler line. I am as prone to over thinking and over analyzing line variables and choices as anyone, but I can honestly say that I don't recall saying to myself " I didn't hook that fish because of mono" or " I didn't get that fish to the boat because of mono" or " this lure is underperforming because of mono" etc very often. Besides that, all the low-stretch hype doesn't hold water in my unscientific-low tech field tests. Tie equal diameter mono and fluoro to a fixed object- walk off a half cast distance and pull on both of them--low stretch my A$$....imho
So are you saying you use mono instead of Flouro?
Or when and for what do you use mono?

Last edited by joedog; 02-03-12 at 02:29 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 09:14 AM   #16
rrw4258

I use mono on my shallow crankbait, spinnerbaits, and topwaters. I love the Sunline Super Natural. Ultra thin diameter, and super limp for good casting. It is also a very strong line for the diameter ratings.

Ryan
Old 02-03-12, 10:07 AM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have been tagged on Sufix Elite and Siege for a few years now. I use the #12 on my top waters.
Old 02-03-12, 12:20 PM   #18
Wishing2BFishing

Talking

You can't go wrong with McCoy Mean Green copolymer. Although you will likely not find it in stores (you can order from Tackle Warehouse), it is great stuff and is my "go-to" line for almost all applications.

Get some Mean Green. You won't be dissappointed.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 11:42 PM   #19
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
So are you saying you use mono instead of Flouro?
Or when and for what do you use mono?
Yes Joe that's what I'm saying. I do use flouro on a drop shot rig. I use braid on a heavy frog/pitchin/flippin outfit. Sufix makes a crankbait specific mono that I like for deeper cranks and some c-rigs. I have given flouro and co-poly an honest trial and when something new and improved comes along I'm sure I will again....but for now, if I've got 10 rods on deck 7 will likely hold mono.****I throw lots of cranks and went through a spell of using crankbait specific glass or composite rods and flouro but after a season or two I went back to graphite and mono....imo the net result was about the same...........lots of fish and lots of fun
Old 02-04-12, 12:04 AM   #20
Bassboss

Thanks guys! I think I'll definitely get a spool of C21 along with something else. Not sure what else yet, but Sufix stuff is good, havn't used it for a while though! Also looking at Izorline XXX... cheap and seems like a well liked line!

Not sure if I should go with 12lb or 15lb though. I'm thinking 15 at this point... One option is to get the 15lb sunline Ryan talked about since it's so thin.
Old 02-04-12, 12:37 AM   #21
james86

I use Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft for everything that doesn't require braid. It's my favorite for the moment.
Old 02-04-12, 02:02 AM   #22
joedog

Thanks kenneth. I too was/am a try every and all line guy...at times it was flat out crazy! ( 7 rods, 7 different lines...this for that...that for this) During a period I used nothing but mono. I have no reason or logic why I'm not using mono now. Never had a problem with mono. Some where it just got lost in the shuffle. It just came down to simplifing.
Thanks to the forum, I'm going to try heavy mono leader for top water and Pike bite offs this year. Thanks again all.
And your right on the money with " the net result was about the same...........lots of fish and lots of fun ".
Old 02-04-12, 09:55 AM   #23
rrw4258

Sam, I will say this. 12 lb. CXX diameter is .37mm. The Sunline Super Natural Equivelant to that is 20 lb. which is .37mm diameter. I like the 20 lb. for worming and spinnerbaiting. I throw the 16 lb. (.35mm diameter) for crankbaits. Try it, you will not be disappointed.

Ryan
Old 02-05-12, 12:34 AM   #24
Carver
BassFishin.Com Member

I use YoZuri hybrid for everything, best line I have ever used.
Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 02:48 PM   #25
fish4942

I think the CX Premium is discontinued. I got 15lb. 300yrds on clearance at Cabelas for $5.88. I’ve been debating if I should spool up my Pro Qualifier 7.1 with braid or this CX line. I’ve read good reviews on it so I figured it was a steal. I don’t quite understand the whole poly-comer coated with fluorocarbon with vortex fibers and nitro material used in jet airplane stuff, but I really don’t care. I’ll find out when I hit the water with it if I like it or not.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.