Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-12, 12:34 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default did we mess up??

bro got him another rod and reel at bps saturday.. i got him a Quantum PT tour for his b-day and he still doesnt know it, anyway with me knowing that i suggested the KVD quantum 7 gear sig series with flippin switch. it was on sale and so far i like quantum,, but all the reviews then looking at other forums, this seem like a reel made for bps to push and will be complete garbage by summer, read that all the parts are not even avalible if it breaks, bps is a good 90 mintes away form us, shoul we return it. since he is new i am sure its backlash and ruff city. just dont want him to pay 70 for POS
Old 02-07-12, 12:57 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I have very limited experience with quantum, but i'm not a big fan. Get him a BPS pro qualifier. A good solid little reel with readily available parts.

BB
Old 02-07-12, 01:48 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

When I was a kid I had a lot of bad experiences with Quantum, but to be fair I wasn't using their higher end reels. When I started buying higher end reels I had already switched to Abu-Garcia and I started using Revos. I think that a higher end Quantum reel is probably a good reel, but I had enough bad experiences with their lower end reels that I just switched companies totally. For a mid range priced reel I would look at the Pro Qualifiers like BigBassin said. I have used a few of these and am really impressed with them. Plus if you have problems with them you can send the to ProReel to get fixed.
Old 02-07-12, 02:17 PM   #4
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quantum believer!
I have 2 Tours casting. 3 Tour spinning numerous PTS energies (like 8), a Kinetic and a Catalyst.
I've used quantums since the PTs came out.
This year I sent my original PT to pro reel, messed up reel cap when slipped off during a fish fight. First Quantum I have owned that ever got sent anywhere for repairs. Pro did FANTASTIC WORK! It's NEW AGAIN, thanks pro!
I am EXTREMELY hard on my equipment!
I do a yearly greasing and thats that.
My first one or two never even got a yearly greasing, one for 5 years (the one pro got) of hard and frankly frequent usage (4 times a week in season) before ever even seeing grease or lube.. This was my original reason for trying, the Hot Sauce! Still use Hot Sauce on all reels at greasing time.

After all that babbling....I don't know a thing about the BPS specific reels. I've had all top enders. But I do know PRO REEL will know!
I personally wouldn't have any concerns.
Old 02-07-12, 02:49 PM   #5
wallywallace

alright thanx guys, though i am not hardcore loyal to one brand i have revo, cirica, curados and a few daiwas. love the quantum pt tour, but again just been hearing alot of dis on this certain reel, hope pro does see this thread.. this is his First one he completly picked himself i started a thread earlier on what i was getting him and this he had some cash and it was hisfirst monkey hunt lol
Old 02-08-12, 11:56 AM   #6
wallywallace

just bumping, wanting pro reel to see this, wanna know his O before i take bake
Old 02-09-12, 12:13 AM   #7
james86
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've had nothing but problems with Quantums but I've also never used a high end Quantum. I've always heard that high end Quantum reels are extremely good but in my opinion there is a huge drop in quality on the low end reels. BPS brand reels are pretty solid throughout I believe. I've never used one cheaper than the BPS extreme. The BPS extreme is not expensive at all and it's a pretty good quality reel. Just my opinion.
Old 02-09-12, 11:29 AM   #8
wallywallace

i know these are quantums but they were made for bps, i read several rviews that after a while somthing grinds into the side plate and the have no parts for them, since they are bps cheap made.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.