Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-01-12, 09:07 PM   #1
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Nanofil

Want to let you all know that it is getting that time of year to look at your line and check to see if you need to re-spool some new line. Well I went out and bought Berkly's new Nanofil for two reasons First the name Nano is my nickname long story the other reason is it has Dyneema in it and that is used in a lot of protective armor. So I bought it it works great smooth casting no memory I recommend this line it will increase you distance and your arm will not tire as quick when you are butting in those long days of fishing . The only down fall is that it is not for bait casters only spinning reels.
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 09:37 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I am kinda curious as to why it's only for spinning reels? I can't see one good reason why you could only use a certain line on a spinning reel. I haven't used it but I have heard some reports on it and they have all said the same thing. Great casting line but horrible abrasion resistance. Have you had any problems with it getting chewed up easily?
Old 03-02-12, 08:24 AM   #3
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Carolina

I do not know why it is only for spining reels other then it is realy smooth as for the abrasion resistance I went do to the river and through the line there it was realy windy did not have any tangles in the line and had a jig on ran it throw rocks, trees and even got it hung up a couple of times and was abel to free it up and on the last hang up in some rocks the line broke but i was trying to brake it and I was realy pulling on it so as for your question YES it is and if I find out way only for spinning reels I will post that info.
Old 03-02-12, 09:45 AM   #4
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I am kinda curious as to why it's only for spinning reels? I can't see one good reason why you could only use a certain line on a spinning reel. I haven't used it but I have heard some reports on it and they have all said the same thing. Great casting line but horrible abrasion resistance. Have you had any problems with it getting chewed up easily?
Berkley says,
The line diameters are so small the line diggs in on baitcasters, similar to low test braid.
Due to the manufacturing process the largest test they can make is 12lb., hence they can't make it a 'larger diameter'. 12lbs. the max.

gysgthard, what test you using?
Old 03-02-12, 10:09 AM   #5
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

I am using 8# on both of my reels one for topwater popers and jeterbugs and the other for a texas rig also thanks for the info i email them also but have not heard back.
Old 03-02-12, 10:31 AM   #6
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Heard it casts great, but sucks because it breaks a lot!

Who knows maybe itll work for ya man!
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 10:56 AM   #7
Bassboss

My dad bought a spool a cabelas... looking forward to seeing how he likes it, I might take a few swings with it as well to see how I like it.

Glad you're enjoying it though!
Old 03-02-12, 11:31 AM   #8
Tavery5

I purchased a spool of the Nanofil in the 12lb test right after it was released. I spooled it on a Lews TP and used it for a day, I threw jigs and hollow bellied frogs on it. I did experience some dig in, both the spool and my finger. While it worked ok on the BC, I would not reccomend it for that application.

The line cast well, and I did not experience any problems with breaking or fraying, but I was not using it in an area that would have truely tested those properties of the iine.
Old 03-02-12, 11:33 AM   #9
WTL

I think sometimes it takes a while for me to really gain confidence in a line. There are multiple attributes that a good line must have, and decent durability is one of the primary ones.

As a result of the time it takes to test line, i suppose I will just listen to you guys and let you be the gunea pigs. Meanwhile, I continue to use PP braid.
Old 03-02-12, 11:51 AM   #10
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysgthard View Post
I am using 8# on both of my reels one for topwater popers and jeterbugs and the other for a texas rig also thanks for the info i email them also but have not heard back.
Call me old fashioned but call them.
800-237-5539
Old 03-02-12, 12:47 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Carolina

I do not know why it is only for spining reels other then it is realy smooth as for the abrasion resistance I went do to the river and through the line there it was realy windy did not have any tangles in the line and had a jig on ran it throw rocks, trees and even got it hung up a couple of times and was abel to free it up and on the last hang up in some rocks the line broke but i was trying to brake it and I was realy pulling on it so as for your question YES it is and if I find out way only for spinning reels I will post that info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I purchased a spool of the Nanofil in the 12lb test right after it was released. I spooled it on a Lews TP and used it for a day, I threw jigs and hollow bellied frogs on it. I did experience some dig in, both the spool and my finger. While it worked ok on the BC, I would not reccomend it for that application.

The line cast well, and I did not experience any problems with breaking or fraying, but I was not using it in an area that would have truely tested those properties of the iine.
Good information fellas. I wonder if using mono for backing would prevent it from digging in?
Old 03-02-12, 12:56 PM   #12
Tavery5

Quote:
Good information fellas. I wonder if using mono for backing would prevent it from digging in?

I did use either a mono or co-poly backing, the line is very thin and most of the dig in I had occured between the spool and the line.
Old 03-02-12, 01:17 PM   #13
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Berkley says,
The line diameters are so small the line diggs in on baitcasters, similar to low test braid.
Due to the manufacturing process the largest test they can make is 12lb., hence they can't make it a 'larger diameter'. 12lbs. the max.

gysgthard, what test you using?
I find this interesting because I use 6lb braid without the dig in problem of braid…….not sure if the roundness of Sufix Performance Braid and it’s roundness has anything to do with this…..
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 05:09 PM   #14
IowaBasser

I have a new spool of 12 pound nanofil that I'm going to try this season (on a spinning reel.) From what I read abrasion isn't as much of a problem as knot-strength and/or knot-slippage. I'm also somewhat concerned about line visibility. I'm looking forward to getting out on the water and seeing how it performs!
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 05:20 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

What are the characteristics of this line that make it benificial? Does it float? Sink? Have low stretch? I read that it's easy casting and improves casting distance but I haven't heard much beyond that.
Old 03-03-12, 12:28 AM   #16
OkobojiEagle

This line has been out since last June... Google reviews or discussions about it. I've been using two spools of 10lb test since last June... I'll be using the same two spools of this line again this year.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 12:44 AM   #17
Tavery5

Quote:
What are the characteristics of this line that make it benificial? Does it float? Sink? Have low stretch? I read that it's easy casting and improves casting distance but I haven't heard much beyond that.
Zero Stretch, good sensitivity, no-memory, not a braid, not a mono, 12lb test nanofil is thinner than 6lb mono. Cast very well.
Old 03-03-12, 10:33 AM   #18
Jesse James
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm looking foward to trying some this year. What appeals to me is the zero memory. Sounds like a breeze to cast, and I figure with what I typically use spinning gear for - jerkbaits, flukes, etc. - the abrasion issues shouldn't be too much of a factor as I won't be pitching into heavy cover or dragging rocks or anything. Good discussion.
Jesse
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 12:18 PM   #19
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

sorry not getting back so soon they say to use mon as a back filler and as fare as knot slippage the say to use a nanofil knot looks like a double palmer knot to me also thanks for all the extra info good fishing to all.
Old 03-05-12, 12:25 PM   #20
Team9nine
BassFishin.Com Member

Good stuff. Been throwing 4# and 6# since summer and once I got around the knot strength issue (use a fluoro/copoly leader for lighter weights), life has been good. Using it on spinning gear and have caught hundreds of bass on each and have not had the line break yet. Also doubles as a great crappie line if you like tossing tube jigs.

-T9
Team9nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12, 03:00 PM   #21
T7HeadTurner

Dont waste your money..... My self had two break offs, tied the knot the way they said to. Also heard of a couple people have the same issue.
To have to tie on a leader is just plan stupid, should work rite down to the knot. It did cast nice, but Heck, Way better lines for half the price out there. McCoy
Old 04-02-12, 08:47 AM   #22
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7HeadTurner View Post
Dont waste your money..... My self had two break offs, tied the knot the way they said to. Also heard of a couple people have the same issue.
To have to tie on a leader is just plan stupid, should work rite down to the knot. It did cast nice, but Heck, Way better lines for half the price out there. McCoy
x2. I was using 8lb test and had two worm bites total this past weekend and the line broke on the hookset both times, and these weren't eye-crossing hooksets, just normal ones. I did catch a 4.2 LM with this line while using a Pop-R, but I've seen enough. Even though this line gives WAY more casting distance than any other line I've ever used, I doubt I'll be trying it again any time soon. I'm not an expert, but to me it looked like the line was breaking above the knot somewhere, not the knot itself. I plan to peel it all off and go back to my tried and true InvisX.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 07:15 AM   #23
basenjib123
BassFishin.Com Member

I have tried it on a baitcaster and it seems to cast fine for me. I really don't use it per say right at the moment so I dont know about its durability etc.
basenjib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 09:36 PM   #24
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Well went out this weekend to try out my Nanofil line with some jerk baits LOVE IT did not break hook sets were great. the one thing I did do only one time is I did not wet the line when tieing on a different jerk bait juat to see if it woul break and it did not. cought fish and it did not break Idid not take any pictures becouse the fish were not that big any where from 11"-13" did let them pull on the line and had some jump out of the water.
Old 04-08-12, 09:45 PM   #25
WatterBoy

Quote:
Well went out this weekend to try out my Nanofil line with some jerk baits LOVE IT did not break hook sets were great. the one thing I did do only one time is I did not wet the line when tieing on a different jerk bait juat to see if it woul break and it did not. cought fish and it did not break Idid not take any pictures becouse the fish were not that big any where from 11"-13" did let them pull on the line and had some jump out of the water.
Try something where they have the whole lure and some of the line in their mouth when you set the hook and see what happens.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.