Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-11-12, 11:31 PM   #1
T7HeadTurner
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Spinnerbait Knot

I know there as been a lot of talk about knots but what do you guys tie for your spinnerbaits?
I noticed with differnet knots the spinnerbait will not swim as true.... Is it just me?

Thanks
-Tim
Old 04-11-12, 11:37 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I usually tie a palomar with spinnerbaits. It takes a little practice and a big loop but it has always worked well for me.
Old 04-12-12, 06:53 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm with Jrob. I use the palomar as well. Strong, dependable and easy to tie. And it never affects how my spinnerbait runs.
Old 04-12-12, 07:30 AM   #4
bassboogieman

#3 for the palomar.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 07:43 AM   #5
Rich in Co
BassFishin.Com Member

#4 Palomar
Rich in Co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 08:32 AM   #6
coldbasser

# 5 for Polomar
Old 04-12-12, 08:49 AM   #7
MississippiBoy

I usually just tie a square knot for my spinnerbaits. Sometimes I'll get fancy and use a bowline, but that pulls unevenly and makes the lure run to the side.
Ok, not really. I use an improved clinch knot most of the time. I'll tie a palomar on braid, but improved clinch for mono or fluoro.
Old 04-12-12, 01:43 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use a modified version of the Uni knot for just about everything. All lures and all line types. Go to tie the regular Uni knot, but loop the line through the eye twice. Then further in the knot, when you wrap the line around itself, I use 5 wraps for mono or FC and 8-10 for braid. Works great and holds strong on all the lines and doesn't waste nearly as much line as the palomar.

BB
Old 04-12-12, 02:27 PM   #9
ydoc
BassFishin.Com Member

For what it's worth... I use the Palomar to direct-tie for everything "little" - i.e. hooks and frogs, etc. But if it's bigger (like spinnerbaits) or has a "bunch" of hooks (like crankbaits) that would require a very large "loop", THEN I use the Palomar to direct-tie to a SNAP... like the Berkley cross-lock or the BPS duo-lock.

Bob
ydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 09:37 PM   #10
bassinbob

Usually the Palomar.
Old 04-13-12, 06:52 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

San Diego Jam Knot. In fact it's the knot I tie for almost everything.
Old 04-18-12, 03:41 PM   #12
Brian E Brightwell
BassFishin.Com Member

Berkley Braid or that Shaw Gigsby knot. Like them both and easy to tie.
Brian E Brightwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 04:27 PM   #13
DaveW731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian E Brightwell View Post
Berkley Braid or that Shaw Gigsby knot. Like them both and easy to tie.
Another vote for Berkley Braid. I just HATE using all the line the Palomar requires.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 06:54 PM   #14
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Depends on what kind of line. With Braid its palomar, fluoro its San Diego Jam Knot. Don't like Co-Poly for spinnerbaits, but if so then the S.D jam knot.

C-Rig, thanks for introducing me to the S.D jam knot-at least I think it was you as it was on this forum-, its now the only knot I use with Fluoro and its easy to tie, and hasn't slipped or broke once. For some reason the Palomar knot just didn't work for me with fluoro, I think I tied it right. I think it must have weakened the line when I tightened it.? Still use the palomar with braid though.
Old 04-18-12, 08:03 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfish View Post
Depends on what kind of line. With Braid its palomar, fluoro its San Diego Jam Knot. Don't like Co-Poly for spinnerbaits, but if so then the S.D jam knot.

C-Rig, thanks for introducing me to the S.D jam knot-at least I think it was you as it was on this forum-, its now the only knot I use with Fluoro and its easy to tie, and hasn't slipped or broke once. For some reason the Palomar knot just didn't work for me with fluoro, I think I tied it right. I think it must have weakened the line when I tightened it.? Still use the palomar with braid though.
Your welcome and I am glad you like it. I really can't understand why anyone wouldn't use the San Diego jam knot. It's easy to tie and is really strong.
Old 04-18-12, 08:48 PM   #16
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Your welcome and I am glad you like it. I really can't understand why anyone wouldn't use the San Diego jam knot. It's easy to tie and is really strong.
I've been tying a double San Diego Jam knot lately, it is easy to tie and I haven't had any trouble with it and fluoro at all.

Double San Diego Jam video
Old 04-18-12, 08:53 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I've been tying a double San Diego Jam knot lately, it is easy to tie and I haven't had any trouble with it and fluoro at all.

I forgot that you said a while back that you were going to try the San Diego jam knot. Glad to hear that you are liking it.
Old 04-18-12, 09:05 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
I forgot that you said a while back that you were going to try the San Diego jam knot. Glad to hear that you are liking it.
I've been playing with quite a few different knots to use with fluoro. The double SDJ is the winner so far. It's the easiest to tie correctly of the ones I've been trying and I haven't had any failures of any kind with it. It's very quickly becoming the knot I have the most confidence in with fluorocarbon.
Old 04-18-12, 09:16 PM   #19
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Palomar on everything except topwater, then it's a loop knote.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 09:37 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

Quote:

I watched this video to see what a Double San Diego jam knot is. Turns out this is the knot I have been tying all along. The video I watched called it the San Diego jam knot, I had no idea I was tying the double version of it all along LOL.
Old 04-18-12, 09:56 PM   #21
Jrob78

Quote:
I watched this video to see what a Double San Diego jam knot is. Turns out this is the knot I have been tying all along. The video I watched called it the San Diego jam knot, I had no idea I was tying the double version of it all along LOL.
That's funny, the regular SDJ is basically the same only you don't double up the line, you wrap it more times and you pass it through 2 loops instead of 1. I much prefer the double version, it's easier to tie and I feel like it's stronger.
Old 04-18-12, 10:39 PM   #22
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
That's funny, the regular SDJ is basically the same only you don't double up the line, you wrap it more times and you pass it through 2 loops instead of 1. I much prefer the double version, it's easier to tie and I feel like it's stronger.
Actually I guess the knot I tie is a modified version of the Double San Diego Jam Knot because I pass it through the loop at the bottom and the loop at the top.
Old 04-19-12, 10:13 AM   #23
MississippiBoy

Wow, that is simple. I never paid any attention to it since I've never had any trouble using the improved clinch knot, but watching the video makes it look like you could tie it blindfolded in about 5 seconds. I'ma hafta try it now.
Question, though...when you put the line through the hook eye, do you double it over like he did in the video, or pass the end through, then double back? I'm thinking about the possibility of fluoro getting a kink in it right there if you fold it over far enough for it to go through doubled over.

Last edited by MississippiBoy; 04-19-12 at 10:21 AM.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 10:56 AM   #24
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Wow, that is simple. I never paid any attention to it since I've never had any trouble using the improved clinch knot, but watching the video makes it look like you could tie it blindfolded in about 5 seconds. I'ma hafta try it now.
Question, though...when you put the line through the hook eye, do you double it over like he did in the video, or pass the end through, then double back? I'm thinking about the possibility of fluoro getting a kink in it right there if you fold it over far enough for it to go through doubled over.
With my eyesight and fat fingers, I don't think I could even get a "doubled over" line through the eye of a hook. When I try this knot, I'll do just like I do for my current Palomar knots..."pass the end through, then double back" as you mentioned for the second option above. Way easier for me that way anyway.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 01:13 PM   #25
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I just run the tag end through twice rather than trying to get the doubled line to go through the eye of the hook.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.