Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-13-12, 02:07 AM   #1
BassAnglerMagazine
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Clear Water Lake

What's your favorite bait for clear water fishing?
BassAnglerMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 06:38 AM   #2
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

Flukes and Senkos. Lake Panasoffkee is a fairly clear lake and I have had good success with these plastics in natural colors.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 03:12 PM   #3
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highhawk1948 View Post
Flukes and Senkos. Lake Panasoffkee is a fairly clear lake and I have had good success with these plastics in natural colors.
I also add a few two-toned colors, all with white bottoms: the top colors will be chartreuse, blue, green or pink. If the fish are active, I think the greater visibility can draw them in. I have also done well with 3/16 - 1/4 oz tandem willow leaf spinnerbaits, with chartreuse/white being my favorite skirt color.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 10:55 PM   #4
BassDood
BassFishin.Com Member

Green pumpkin or watermelon Zoom Brush Hogs or Trick Worms
Old 06-21-12, 11:58 PM   #5
merc1997

that would depend on time of year, and if we are talking about daytime or nighttime fishing.

for fishing in the daytime in the winter, and of course i am talking about here on table rock, the top three baits would be spoons, jigs, and a twin spin. most of the rest of the year, i night fish, and i use a whole arsenal of baits. the bait that i catch the most big bass on is an alpha jig.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 10:01 AM   #6
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

A 4 or 5 inch Kalin's grub on a mushroom head jig is hard to beat in clear water. That Ned rig has been producing for me too. I've just been using all the left over/torn senkos I have in my garage. I hear those new Zinkers are good too.
Also soft plastic paddle tails, such as Skinny Dippers, Keitech swing impact and swimming flukes. I've been using a 3.5" swing impact as a trailer on a War Eagle double willow blade spinnerbait and fish really like it. Got to retrieve a little slower, but they tear it up. Smallies and spots mostly.
And a Sammy 100, chart. shad, been producing my biggest fish along with a finesse jig.
Old 06-26-12, 03:33 PM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Lots of variables. Early spring I throw a hard bodied jerkbait, jigs, and chatterbaits and lipless cranks. Night time I work the same lures as I do in off colored water. Don't seem to make any difference to me. Post spawn/ early summer, I'm working jigs and t-rigged baits like Craw Papis with a pegged tungstin weight, shallow square bill cranks, both with and without rattles untill I know what they prefer, spinnerbaits, and soft plastics. Summer time through fall I'm working t rigged plastics, both weighted and unweighted, spinnerbaits, lots of topwater, topwater frogs, & crankbaits. Again with and without rattles. Come late fall/early winter, it's pretty much back to the early spring choices except I'll still be throwing a big spinnerbait and crankbait. As for colors, I tend to go with lures that have a more natural appearance for most lures. However, even in clear water, a bright spinnerbait or jerk bait can be deadly. One topwater approach that works extremely well for me in clear water is a Heddon Spook worked over the tops of weedbeds in the 8-12 foot range! I'm especially fond of the Rattlin Spook and Super Spook Jr.
Old 06-26-12, 05:54 PM   #8
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sexy shad by Strike King.
Old 06-26-12, 07:28 PM   #9
Dave63

Don't overlook purple.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 07:38 PM   #10
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think it's really hard to beat a wacky rig senko as far as fineese baits go.

Spinnerbaits with small willow blades are excellent if the fish are onto a faster pattern.

Just try to stay pretty natural with your presentation. It's generally a good idea to keep your lure size down as well, so a 7" worm is usually a better choice than a big 12" worm.

If you've ever read KVD's books, he always recommends keeping the lure moving fast as to not let the fish get a good look at things to determine that it's a fake. This particularly holds true to reaction baits rather than worms, jigs and other plastics which are pretty natural to begin with.
Old 06-28-12, 01:07 AM   #11
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Merc1997, What is a twin-spin? Fill me in. brother
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 01:43 AM   #12
Scott the fishman

green pumpkin senkos or a trick worm
Old 06-29-12, 12:37 AM   #13
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Brown/purple skirt, 1/4 oz or 3/8's finesse jig with pumkin Rage chunk. Terminater is my favorite
Will sub trailer color based on skies but if only could have one...guess pumpkin.
Allows you freedom to drag, hop, swim, jiggle it in place, you name it.
Next, 1/4 oz tungsten cone-weighted texas rigged lizard, Space Monkey is my favarite but personal favorites work fine. Again pumpkin but I like a color called Tex Mex from Strike King too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.