Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-10, 09:07 AM   #1
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Frogs...which one?

The more I fish the Spro Bronzeye, the more I dislike it. Fills with water on every cast, grabs grass (probably because the butt end is almost always hanging vertical) and the "paint" comes off in lots of spots (mainly the white versions) after only a couple fish. After I tried the first two I bought, I thought maybe it was a bad batch, but I have 6 of these things and they all act the same.

So - are the Tru Tungsten frogs any better? I used to use the Scum Frogs, but never could get the hooks to stay sharp. I guess that's one thing about the Bronzeye - I can't remember but one fish that I lost on it, but it is annoying to fish.

Suggestions?
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 10:38 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hhhmmm. I have never used the Tru Tungsten frog because I have always liked the Bronzeye Frog. Never had any of the problems you mentioned except for filling up with water but that has only happened to me after I have caught a ton of fish on one frog and it was getting torn up and worn out.

Might also check out Bobby's Perfect Frog.
Old 05-15-10, 11:28 AM   #3
CamG

I've got a couple of the Perfect Frogs and they're just OK.

Still don't think the Bronzeye's should be filling with water this fast either - but last night I tried all six, even the two new ones and on EVERY cast, I'd have to squeeze the water out, or on the next cast they'd be full. The white one I just got and caught three on last night looks like I've had it for years as all the paint in the nose is gone - still fishable I guess though.

Maybe I'm just too picky and expect a bait that I paid $9 to work well. And, I guess it does work - the fish seemed very pleased with it. Hookup ratio is good too, as I only lost 1 last night out of 10.
Old 05-15-10, 11:40 AM   #4
CamG

Anyone familiar with the Sumo frog. I had a couple back in 04-05 when they were hot, but don't remember much about them. I have no idea where they are now...kids probably have them in their stuff.
Old 05-15-10, 07:08 PM   #5
Bassboss

River2sea Belly Wa frog is definitely my fave from the ones I've used! Does not fill HALF as fast as the spro, and hooks are quality! Check 'em out!

Oh, did I mention they walk very good too!
Old 05-16-10, 08:46 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

While I've never used the TT frog, it does have some design advantages over the Spro. One, it had a hole at the end of the bait. when it fills with water, tip it up, give it a squeeze, and no more water. This can be done with a Spro frog by hand with a small drill bit.

As for the paint, I haven't had any problems with the Spro, but I haven't really used them much. I'd imagine it's difficult to get a very durable paint on that flexible rubber. Also, I don't think color is that big of a deal with topwaters, especially frogs. When I fish frogs, I use three colors. A Black one, a yellow one, and a green one.

BB
Old 05-16-10, 08:55 AM   #7
CamG

Thanks fellas. And, I agree - I'm not really too worried about the paint, it was just another fault I saw.

Anyone fished this one?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Snag_...age-SPIPF.html

Looks like they may have solved the water issue with it.
Old 05-16-10, 09:43 AM   #8
Bassboss

Nope, never used that one Cam. But this frog how ever, looks SWEET!!!! http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Z_Man...FR.html#pImage

It's Z man, so it's made of that stretch, tough as nails plastic stuff, so it should last a long time! It's got a wide gap weedless hook, so it should have great hook ups. And it won't fill with water since it's not hallow! It's like the perfect frog! I'll definitely try to get a hold of some!
Old 05-16-10, 10:48 AM   #9
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Several casts and a conventional spro is filled with water requiring a squeeze out.the river 2sea bully wa is size wise the same and one gets about 15= 20 casts with it.The 55 and 65 being the size compared,when one tosses an 85 its a great walker,and a culling bait.
The new spro king however is a different ball game,it like the 85 is a culler and a walker out of the box and does nor require much squeezing out it is like the 85 bully wa a large bait 1 oz,both however are great.

It takes a large bait to mimic the bullfrog or even a full grown leopard.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 04:03 PM   #10
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

im gonna give these a try now that they have the clone series out.
http://www.floridakayakfishing.com/
triglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 04:15 PM   #11
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by triglet View Post
im gonna give these a try now that they have the clone series out.
http://www.floridakayakfishing.com/
I love the looks of those frogs! But, I'm not real fond of the hook setup on them. I could definitely seem some hookup issues having that hook all the way in front of the bait.
Old 05-16-10, 05:57 PM   #12
bassboogieman

I like my R. I. Swamp Donkeys, I have a few Spro frogs but the Donkeys are a better bait. Shame they are currently out of production.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 06:27 PM   #13
keithdog

Ok, now take a look again at that pic lilmule posted of the bullfrog. Now we've all seen those frogs our whole lives as they are so very common. Now why won't the makers of frog baits give us a frog with THOSE colors??? And by the way, I like my Spro's but if you get a chance, take a look at the New Panther Martin Big Eyed Pro frogs. Those are going to be a killer frog! I'd post a pic from the Cabelas site but don't know how, lol.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 06:40 PM   #14
aikenyounggun

I really like the sumo frogs that you asked about. I have caught a lot of fish on them and they dont fill up with water quickly.
Old 05-17-10, 01:33 AM   #15
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I love the looks of those frogs! But, I'm not real fond of the hook setup on them. I could definitely seem some hookup issues having that hook all the way in front of the bait.

yeah it definately needs another hook. some sort of trailing hook would be nice and would prolly help alot with hookups!!
triglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 04:44 AM   #16
shutupnfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Modify those Spro frogs by cutting a slit in the top, between the eyes, and "drilling" a small (~1/8") hole in the end, right between the legs. I simply use a small razor knife to cut a hole. No more squeezing the pee out of yer frogs! I've used this method on every Spro frog so far without any problems. Good luck!

Steve
shutupnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 07:03 AM   #17
walkeraviator

Have a buddy who puts silicone in all the holes when they start takin on water... dont know how well it works but he likes the idea,,
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 12:42 PM   #18
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Funny this comes up now. I had the opportunity to do some froggin yesterday, in fact it was the first froggin I've done yet this year. I went through 6 frogs of 5 different brands over the first hour.

Started with my usual favorite, the Bobby's Perfect Frog. The hook hole had torn slightly from past use but I used it anyway. I made 2 casts with it before changing. It was taking on too much water.

Next I put on a River2Sea Bully Wa. I used this one successfully last year but this time it was taking on lots of water for unknown reasons. It was sinking halfway through the retrieve.

So I put on a Basirisky frog. I've caught a bunch of bass on these, but I just don't like to fish them as much as a normal frog. I like to walk a frog rather than just reel it. I got bored and took it off after about 3 casts.

Next was a Spro, another bait I've caught plenty of fish on. Spent 10 minutes or so with it but like the others, it took on so much water that it was a chore to fish.

So I put on a brand new Bobby's Perfect Frog, caught 1 small fish on it, and the hook hole tore, turning the frog into a submarine.

Finally I put on a Swamp Donkey, and finished the day with that. It took on some water, but never to the point of sinking, like all the other baits had. That was the best bait of the day for me. Never got around to tying on a Sumo Frog, but those usually work pretty well too.

Bassboss, that Z Man frog looks intriguing. I've been wondering when somebody was going to make a frog out of that stuff. Might have to try that next.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 02:24 PM   #19
cassidyta

I'll add one more to the list.
Frogzilla
http://www.landbigfish.com/showcase.cfm?PID=1451
I picked up a couple of these at a local shop for $2 each. They are massive and a lot of fun to throw. I have done well on the single hook so far. They are not my go to frog, but if you are tossing into the really thick stuff, they do better than the others for me.
Old 05-17-10, 06:35 PM   #20
Cavs1123

Try the new BPS kermy!
Old 05-17-10, 08:26 PM   #21
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post

Bassboss, that Z Man frog looks intriguing. I've been wondering when somebody was going to make a frog out of that stuff. Might have to try that next.

I used them for the first time this weekend, and I was impressed. You do have to add a keel weight to the hook to make them land upright, but even with a small weight they will still float. To me they are the best of both worlds in frog fishing. You can dead stick them like a hollow bodied frog or use them like a buzzfrog. I caught 5 bass on the one I was using sunday and it is still in good enough shape to fish again, which is a good thing concidering their is only 3 to a pack.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 08:49 AM   #22
lilmule

All frogs have a slightly different action,sometimes they want one thing over another,biggest problem with an single hook bait is the actual hookup,depps is very bad for me in losing some really good fish next to the boat.
Kens clone series while the hook is forward gets a better hookup than the depps possibly because the body isnt in the way,but being farther forward their are days when it doesnt get taken well.His poison dart series arnt that outlandish in nature as a copes grey tree frog has that same bright yellow and black undersides,the pine barren would be hard to beat in NJ.
It is however often size in frogs that determines how well it will work in an area,along with color,most lime green ones are very tiny about size of a thumbnail.
Green tree frogs being just slightly smaller than a spro 55,and most when wet change color somewhat being darker less vibrant when in the water than out.
Ive got over 3 plano boxes of frogs,now anymore go for specific colors and or sizes,bull frogs in extra large,leopards in large to med,tree frogs in small.
One of the reasons why dark frogs work is because of the change mother nature makes when wet.
Southern leopard frog,do you see any yellow on it,its there but masked by other colors.The bronze version Ken sells would be closer than a spro,when actually in the water.I still use a spro 90 % of the time black,if throwing them,otherwise match the hatch.
This is in direct light ,shade its dark brown to black.

Last edited by lilmule; 05-19-10 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-19-10, 09:10 AM   #23
CamG

Frog color is a funny thing. Seems to me that I have much better results throwing "unnatural" frog colors. My favorites are white and purple.
Old 05-19-10, 09:41 AM   #24
lilmule

White works here when after baitfish,and the common bullfrog has a light grey underbelly with black mottling that looks off white when wet,purple is viewed as just a dark color,it along with pumkinseed and watermelon all appear as a dark frog.
All males normally have more vibrant colors to attract a female as well but not all over like a commercial frog.
They dont normally have traffic yellow all over the sides and bottom,exception being the copes gray tree frog about the size of a quarter.
Place the frog over a thick mat and that dark color stands out better or at least somewhat better.Dark purple is a good color,bass also dont have quite the color vision we do they see it as just a slightly lighter black.
Old 05-19-10, 04:27 PM   #25
toppwatr
BassFishin.Com Active Member

those new tru tungsten frogs seem pretty fancy. expensive but pretty darn good looking. i bet one of those would either work like gold or hit the trash. although i think the work like gold would be it..... at least i hope.
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.