Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-08-04, 02:48 PM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default  What is the best way to keep baits in

The strike zone for suspended fish. Heres what happened to me last time out. I found most all of the fish suspending in the deeper parts of the lake at about 21'-22' feet(electronics showed what looked like a thermocline at that level also) I understand the suspending cranks deep divers, but what about plastics, spinnerbaits, etc... How do you know they are that deep, and how do you keep them that deep. I realize you can just vertically jig them, after measuring off the depth, but how about on a retrieve for a spinnerbait, of even a fluke?

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-04, 03:08 PM   #2
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33
Default Re:  Â*What is the best way to keep baits in

Lizards can't you ask an easy question I'll do my best but heres the short answer. You have to cast past the fish. Then count you're lure down to that depth. Heres the thing. The weight of the lure, diameter of the line etc.. all have bearing on the rate of fall. Now heres the most important. How far you cast past and where you have your boat placed regulate the angle the lure goes to the fish. It is pretty technical, but not really that hard to do if you practice it.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-04, 04:36 PM   #3
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Can't add anything to that. Figure in a bait sinking about 1 foot/second. Unless it is a jigging spoon ot tailspinner, which probably sinks about 2 feet per second. Just count it down and start cranking.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-04, 04:51 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re:   What is the best way to keep baits in

OK guys I tried that, and I MAY have been in the strike zone, but on the retieve,how can you know what speed to reel to maintain it there? How do you know it's at a certain depth? Can electronics pick it up? I know it's a tough question, but when throwing the spinnerbait last weekend It seemed even at a crawl it was too high. I even let it hit bottom at 30+ feet. I knew this was gonna be tough, just trying to hone my skills on suspended fish.

Lizards
Old 12-08-04, 05:16 PM   #5
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Quick question. Were these fish suspended in open water or were they relaTING TO SOME KIND OF COVER OR STRUCTURE? Oops sorry I hit cap lock :P
Old 12-08-04, 09:12 PM   #6
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

if they are in the open sitting on the cline your screwed they won't hit a lure if ya bounce it off their head. as for maintaining a cetain depth. try this crank the blade a foot down if ya can keep it about a foot down this is the speed to use. if not speed up or slow down. get used to this speed or rythum. me for supended fish i use a trap 1/2 oz 8 pound ande 1.375 feet pre second. i stopped guessing a long time ago.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-04, 11:15 PM   #7
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=IL.bassin link=board=news;num=1102528088;start=0#4 date=12/08/04 at 15:16:53]Quick question. Were these fish suspended in open water or were they relaTING TO SOME KIND OF COVER OR STRUCTURE? Oops sorry I hit cap lock :P[/quote]

Good question This was the coal pit, where it has basically been cut out in long lines usually 25-35feet in the center, and then rapidly goes up to the shore line. Picture a 8 line highway width, and that's pretty much most of the width through out. The fish were suspended in the center, which really the whole dang thing is structure, or none of it They weren't anywhere shallow, I would pick up a fish at 12-15 feet occasionally, but all were in the middle. Now there are a lot of off shoots, with points, coming off of them, and I worked the points silly, and had no bites. The only fish I caught, was about 30' off a channel(in between 2 points) in the biggest and deepest part of the lake. I picked up tons of fish, including what I believe to be schools of baitfish, but everything was right around the 21-22 feet range. Hope this helps some or perhaps just confuses you more :-/

Lizards
Old 12-08-04, 11:27 PM   #8
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

OK try this. Scrap the spinnerbait idea. Save that for next Spring when the fish are relating to some kind of cover. Its easier to find cover than it is to try to get a fish to bite out in the middle of nowhere . Therefore you will accelerate your learning curve by getting hung up and losing baits ;D As far as catching the fish you were talking about, measure of your line at say 20' and mark it. Spike-it makes a line marker that will work great on the line you use. Next go buy a few Little Georges and some white bucktail jigs and vertical jig them. I know you said you knew about this in your first post but I would say it's probably the best way to catch them in you're situation.
Old 12-08-04, 11:37 PM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=IL.bassin link=board=news;num=1102528088;start=0#7 date=12/08/04 at 21:27:40]OK try this. Scrap the spinnerbait idea. Save that for next Spring when the fish are relating to some kind of cover. Its easier to find cover than it is to try to get a fish to bite out in the middle of nowhere . Therefore you will accelerate your learning curve by getting hung up and losing baits ;D As far as catching the fish you were talking about, measure of your line at say 20' and mark it. Spike-it makes a line marker that will work great on the line you use. Next go buy a few Little Georges and some white bucktail jigs and vertical jig them. I know you said you knew about this in your first post but I would say it's probably the best way to catch them in you're situation. [/quote]

I'll give it shot if I can out again b4 the freeze. I did catch the one on a c-rig, with a 30" leader and a 4" green pumkin Pulse Worm(yeah I still got some ) I actuall thought about a jigging spoon also, but the Bucktails sound like good advice 8) Thanks for your help, figured it was gonna be tough fishing, and it was. Do you think perhaps a drop shot rig might work here? The biggest problem is the weight to bait distance would need to be about 10' ???

Lizards
Old 12-09-04, 12:06 AM   #10
FISH11
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FISH11

Lizards,
Have you ever seen this book? I myself, don't troll but the guys I know that do, use this book as a reference.

fishing skills!!! The authors of Precision Trolling bring you the most comprehensive and advanced trolling guide available. By teaching you the fundamental aspects of trolling, and providing detailed "dive curves" for your favorite lures, Precision Trolling lets you accurately place your lures at precise depths.
http://www.precisionangling.com/
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 12:39 AM   #11
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards I don't know a whole lot about the drop shot deal. I don't see why the weight would have to be on the bottom of the lake though. I mean I would think that you could set up a drop shot rig and vertically jig it.
Old 12-09-04, 02:04 AM   #12
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Lizards, I think you might be on to something with the drop shot. Nothing says the weight has to be on the bottom-it is just to get the bait down. Put the weight below the fish with the bait right in their face-that might just do the trick. I never would have thought of that-just one of the reasons I love this site-I always get a new idea or learn something new!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 04:24 AM   #13
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

I'd try one of the deeper diving jerkbaits 8'-12'. Use the strips to make it suspend, and use long pauses. I've caught my biggest fish in a limestone quarry doing that. Use 8#-10# line.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.