Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-30-09, 01:51 AM   #1
S4il
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Too good to be true lure saver?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...RING-ULSR.html

Above is a link to a "O-Ring" designed to let your hook out when u get it caught up in a snag, but wont allow the fish to rip it out when your fighting em? wanted to know if anyone has used these, or is it just one of those things designed to catch fisherman.
Old 03-30-09, 01:58 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I wish I could tell you something about it, but something like that would have my stomach churning if the big boy got on it.
Old 03-30-09, 10:47 AM   #3
islandbass

A properly set drag would prevent even a big boy from coming off. However, your thought of losing it still lurks in the dark of the mind.
Old 03-30-09, 12:17 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I dunno, but they make lure knockers that will knock the lure from rock or brush, the wont knock the lure from trees though!

But they sound plausible!
Old 03-30-09, 01:53 PM   #5
aikenyounggun

yeah i guess it makes sense but man if i had a 8 lber on the line i would play him like no other..... wait you are fishin around trees, you got to get him out..... what you gonna do, horse him out of the trees so he doesnt break off or play it safe and hope he doesnt get in the trees.............

if it can hold an 8lber while you are horsin him out than im pretty sure the line would break before you got it unstuck out of a tree

but you never know.... maybe it just perfect
Old 03-30-09, 03:40 PM   #6
cassidyta

Well, they are between 9 and 10 dollars for 6 rings. On a normal crank that would mean $3 to $4.25 to replace them on a bait
Now depending on what type of hook you are adding once the By the time I add a decent set of hooks, they then you may be at $4-$5 to get your now hookless lure back.
The main question would if you can get the rings back or not. If so, then it might make it worth it on some baits, but if the lure costs less than $4, it is not a good business choice. If the rings don't come back with the bait then I could not see any value in them.
Old 03-30-09, 03:44 PM   #7
Raul

When I hang up a crankbait ( and I do it many times in a trip ) I hang it for good, no "magic" collapsible ( or should we say straightable ) split ring is going to help.

For the same 9 dollars you get a plug knocker ( lure retriever ) and it works most of the times.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 04:29 PM   #8
BassBandit

Paul Elias used them to smash the record so that should say something.

I've used them last year. Quit using them due to 2 reason. They get worn fairly quick than I expected. In average it has to be replaced after about 10 times split open. Other reason the prices are unreasonable IMO.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 04:39 PM   #9
Bender

One of the guys I have fished with uses them on crankbaits made by Carolina Chip. It makes sense when you have a favorite crank and would rather have the chance of losing one fish than that bait and who knows how many in the future.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 05:46 PM   #10
Gearhed
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Gearhed

Hi! I am new..to the forum, not fishing.
I read up on these a bit not too long ago. The rings are supposed to come back with the lure, if the rings don't fall out of the proper position, which apparently seldom happens. But, even if you loose the rings, they are still cheaper than just about any lure you can buy.
My biggest fear would be losing the big fish.
I have no personal experience with them however.

Last edited by Gearhed; 03-30-09 at 06:41 PM. Reason: HI! I am new!
Gearhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 05:49 PM   #11
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhed View Post
I read up on these a bit not too long ago. The rings are supposed to come back with the lure, if the rings don't fall out of the proper position, which apparently seldom happens. But, even if you loose the rings, they are still cheaper than just about any lure you can buy.
My biggest fear would be losing the big fish.

Hey Gearhed, welcome to the boards!
Old 03-30-09, 11:26 PM   #12
Rebbasser

Snap attached to a bell sinker. Been using them for years. Clip it to your line, drop it down, jiggle it a little and the lure usually pops free. Zooker uses them, too. A LOT less expensive that thise fancy split rings.

Welcome to the forum, gearhead!
Old 03-31-09, 12:48 PM   #13
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBandit View Post
Paul Elias used them to smash the record so that should say something.
He uses Kleenex toilet paper too to rub his rear end ........ should that mean sumthin ?
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 08:56 PM   #14
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
The main question would if you can get the rings back or not. If so, then it might make it worth it on some baits, but if the lure costs less than $4, it is not a good business choice. If the rings don't come back with the bait then I could not see any value in them.

Ultimate SmartLink Titanium Rings
</B>
If you've been fishing for a while you've faced a situation where the fish were biting crankbaits or jerkbaits in thick, lure eating brush and trees. There you are, down to your last crankbait in the only color they're biting and you DON"T want to lose it in the sticks. You've tried other presentations but nothing is working. What do you do? Quit fishing? Throw your crankbait until you lose it? Not many good options here. Now, Smartlink split rings gives you another option; keep throwing the secret crank but get it back every time it hangs up! The secret is the special titanium wire SmartLink uses. This wire will hold it's shape while you're fighting and landing a fish but when your lure hangs up, the right pressure will open the ring and release your bait. Now you can fish in snag infested water and rest easy that you'll get your prized hardbait back. When rigged correctly, all you lose is your hook, the bait and SmartLink ring come back ready for another hook and more fishing! This product is being used on the pro tour and has been endorsed by pros like Jimmy Houston.

It says you get the rings back... but it also says "if rigged correctly." not sure how good or bad that is.
Old 04-02-09, 09:46 PM   #15
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i smell a stinky on this one..

i dont fish hardbaits hardly..

and i dont think those little rings would have held up to that 10lber i caught.. when you experience it you know what the fight feels like and i doubt that would have held up. in that case then jsut put some 10 lb test line and tie your hooks to a snap ring..and fish with like 30lb braid..

then the hook comes off
Old 04-03-09, 07:15 PM   #16
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
i smell a stinky on this one..

i dont fish hardbaits hardly..

and i dont think those little rings would have held up to that 10lber i caught.. when you experience it you know what the fight feels like and i doubt that would have held up. in that case then jsut put some 10 lb test line and tie your hooks to a snap ring..and fish with like 30lb braid..

then the hook comes off
what is a snap ring?
Old 04-03-09, 10:09 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
He uses Kleenex toilet paper too to rub his rear end ........ should that mean sumthin ?

Raul, to quote Larry the Cable Guy, "I don't care who you are, that right there is FUNNY!"
Old 04-04-09, 07:49 PM   #18
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Guess you didn't understand my post. Let me guess you just want to be a smarty pant toward my post because you knew me from other forum that I quit going there. Quit dry humping my leg, lay off will ya
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.