Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-06, 01:33 AM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default 2 Questions

I had a horrible backlash experience about 2 hours ago and I needed to cut a lot of line off. I was going to take all of the line and put new line on because there wasn't much line left, but then I had the idea to attach lines with a knot. Should I tie a double uni knot to connect the line or just respool? If I don't want to respool, which knot sould I tie?

Tubes... I was thinking about getting some. What are some popular tubes? Do they produce fish?

Thanks-Julien
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 02:10 AM   #2
pig n jig

I basically use 4 brands of tube baits.Yamamoto type 33 tube,Mizmo Big boy,Venom tube, Nichols salty mother tubes.They will catch anything with fins.I like to fish them with a sliding tungstun weight and a 3/0 Owner rig n hook, or a Eagle claw HP hook.Both hooks are compact so they work well in any brand of tube bait.most people like the inserted jighead style hooks, but I catch more fish with a free sliding weight.If I were to choose 2 colors that work best, I would say Black Neon(black/red flake)& Green Pumpkin.Those 2 colors work every time out.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 06:27 AM   #3
AKM
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
Should I tie a double uni knot to connect the line or just respool? If I don't want to respool, which knot sould I tie?
Thanks-Julien
I would respool.If I were tying line to line then the Uni Knot is the knot that I would use.
AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 11:49 AM   #4
Vabass22

Look for Lake Fork Tackle Craw Tubes, in a dark brown or green. Crawdad is the best color in these though. For a regular tube, go with a Gitzit, in Green Pumpkin.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 12:03 PM   #5
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

^^ exactly what vabass said lol
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 12:23 PM   #6
jooleyen

Awesome. How do you like to fish tubes and when?

I measured how much line was left on my reel after fixing the backlash. I have 30 yards on my reel. Is that enough? I noticed a decrease in retrieving speed.

Thanks.

Julien

Last edited by jooleyen; 11-19-06 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-19-06, 06:31 PM   #7
skeeter944

i like to slowly hop it in the spring and fish it on a carolina rig in the summer.no that is not enough line,i like about 65 yards,but what i do is fill the spool up with line,back off around 60-70 yards,and cut it. use cheap line with about the same diameter as the line you are going to use,then fill to 1/8 of an inch of the spool with the line that you are going to use.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 07:00 PM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

oh yeah reel spool.. the only tubes i use are baby paca craws. 3/0 ewg gammys using a tunstung bullet nose -like 3/16-

zooker
Old 11-19-06, 09:04 PM   #9
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You can fish tubes several different ways. By their look, you can tell they don't look like any kind of baitfish so giving the fish several different presentations is the best way to go IMO. I like hopping it like a craw... that seems to produce most for me; however I have caught fish jiging it quickly and swimming it. They are awesome baits and they really are one of my favorite baits to flip. I also get the smaller tubes (< 3" ) and drop shot them - bouncing them

Also, I would respool, I tie a double uni-knot... has always worked fine for me.

Good Luck,

Jolly
Old 11-20-06, 05:50 PM   #10
jooleyen

Thanks a lot all. I went and got a Gitzit Tube in green pumpkin. All they had were these http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8883/1000221hu1.jpg so I got some of them. Should I just shove the head of the jig into the tube? It seems like I would rip the tube because of the jig eye.

Do you ever get your stuff from Ebay?

Thanks-Julien
Old 11-20-06, 07:37 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Jools-if you use a jighead with a tube insert the head in the tube and punch the eye through the plastic. It won't hurt the action of the tube. If you get a tube with a solid head just T-rig it.
Old 11-20-06, 07:45 PM   #12
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

I love tubes. Especially hoping them around rocks or bouncing them off the bottom around structure like docks or weed lines. When the bite slows i like to rig them on a jig head and throw them right at pillars going into the water [dock pillars, bridge pillars, etc.] so that they actually hit the pillar and slide down into the water. I'll let them sit there twitching the pole every now and then.
Old 11-20-06, 07:52 PM   #13
jooleyen

Okay. I'll try that.

When someone hopping a bait off the bottom, they aren't in weeds right? I went to my lake today and it looks terrible. The water level is 2 feet lower and super weedy. There are floating weeds and weeds still under the water EVERYWHERE. I cant even cast weedless without getting a clump of weeds. I've been there about 10 times without catching one fish. I've tried everything and nothing works for me.

And when you rip a jig or crankbait do you just yank the rod. Kind of like you're setting the hook but not using all of your power? When do you want to rip a bait?

Would a Tiki-Grass Craw work with a jig or spinnerbait as a trailer?

Thanks-Julien
Old 11-20-06, 08:26 PM   #14
Rebbasser

Yep, that's ripping a bait. When? No set time-part of that trial and error retrieve. See if that is what the fish want.

Tiki Grass Craw-probably would be a better jig trailer, but once again, trial and error. The only way to find out if something works is to throw it .
Old 11-20-06, 09:09 PM   #15
jooleyen

Trial and error sounds like what needs to happen.

So ripping the bait is just yanking? I thought it was pulling the bait out of weeds really hard.

I tried rigging the tube with that red hooked jig. I thought the eye would definately rip the tube while I was inserting it. It worked perfectly.

Julien
Old 11-20-06, 10:01 PM   #16
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

yup just yank the rod to rip. Rip the bait whenever you feel its a good time too. Bassically what it does is gets the bait to move erratically as water passes the bill of a crankbait. Just after a rip, pause in retrieve for a few seconds then continue on. For jigs it pretty much just shoots its to a direction in a swift fast motion, again stop in retrieve after and let it hit bottom. Now when hoping a bait, i hop it on open bottom near grass and structure and as well as in under water weed beds. it all depends. trial and error is what its all about. Some days what should work doesnt, and what shouldnt work does. Especially in heavily fished lakes and ponds. Since your pond/lake is down in water level, those bigger bass will probally be deeper if the water isnt too cold. if the water is cold look for them shallow in flats. Also sounds like the weeds/grass is thick. If its thick enough to run some kinda soft plastic over the top of matted grass then do it. the vibration that the soft plastic causes will attract the bass and it'll make for good top water fishing.
Old 11-21-06, 12:26 AM   #17
st.croixman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to st.croixman

tubes will work as jog trailers(with skirts) i dont know why but some times its just on (stike king bitsy bug jig with strike king bleeding tubes. the funny part is the tube looks way way too big for the jig

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.